Thread: Rome vs Rome

Default Rome vs Rome

In a battle between a 1st century AD Roman army and a 4th century western Roman Army of the same size who would win?

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

Default Re: Rome vs Rome

Well I'd like to know where you got that nice pic of the 4th century Roman army for a start...

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

The 1st century army would win. The 4th century army was geared to patrol the border and engage in raids and low-level combat. The 1st century army trained to fight pitched battles, though it was flexible enough to effectively patrol the frontier and keep barbarian disturbances to a minimum.

Now, in a long campaign, the edge would still probably go to the 1st century army, but the 4th century army would have a significant chance of winning.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

The late army had superior combat equipment. Better, longer swords, plumbata, the praesentalis troops probably would be clad in armour head to toe, and in the east many had experienced fighting the toughest opponents the romans ever faced.

And they had the discipline and training of the principate legions. I cast my vote at the late ones. Ofcourse, if we took the field armies and not limitanei.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

"Who would win" threads are generally not appropriate to the VV, especially not with such a sparse opening post.

Closed.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."