Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does FATW employ mind control?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Does FATW employ mind control?

Well, I have tried all the LotR mods out there.

TATW, undoubtably, has better graphics.
    LotRTW has a bigger map, more factions.

But for some reason I keep returning to FATW. It doesn't even use the standard LotR timeframe. But for some reason I just feel I have to play it.

Why is that, my friends?

Default Re: Does FATW employ mind control?

First of all, we are really happy to see this kind of comments. It makes doing what we do worth it.

As for the reason you (and hopefully others too) return to FATW, I think it's the result of the thousands (literally) of hours of work put in this mod over a period of years. Those of us that work on it have decided that FATW is not going to be a mere heap of very-very-loosely-based-on-Middle-earth units, banners and map thrown randomly together with butchered fan-fic lore, vanilla buildings, vanilla descriptions, vanilla 2d, vanilla gameplay, vanilla etc, garnered with lots of "wow" effects for 12 year-olds. Our goal was (and still is) to create a complete mod, one that will smack of quality in every way and will appeal to more mature players that are looking for an engaging and immersive experience, true to Tolkien's vision.

I'd like to think that the effort we've put into the project shows in every aspect of the game: music, 2d, text, models, skins, textures, story, map, accuracy, gameplay, mechanics, innovation, balance, stability...

Of course, preference is also a matter of taste. If someone ranks graphics as #1 on his priority list of mod features, TATW is -as you said- the mod for him. If someone is looking for a faster, movie-based, battle-oriented experience with emphasis on WotR-related stuff (eg some pretty nice scripts or custom heroes), LotRW is better than FATW. Etc etc. Depends on what one wants.
    Last edited by Aradan; January 08, 2011 at 04:46 PM.

It must be mind control for I too find it quite inescapable. To be honest I think its the depth, like Aradan said. It is literaly the most in depth mod I've seen and its really well done. My only complaint is the color scheme, but I got used to it.

I think it's also related to the "polish" of this mod. The team made an excellent decision way back in choosing to release finished sections of the map, rather than immediately releasing a full-map version that was lacking in gameplay, consistency, originality, or whatever. Though it must have been very tempting to "do it all", the ability to regularly release increased - & completely polished - versions of the mod has, I think, allowed it to maintain momentum and dedicated team members, and also has allowed the team to implement new features that they have had the time (years & years!) to think about, tweak, and finally enact in the game in a logical & fun way. Had it all been released at once, there's no way we would be seeing this level of originality & quality, I think.

I haven't played any other LotR mods, but I have played other mods that promise a lot - a big map, tons of factions, historical accuracy, whatever - but just don't deliver in the little details, the atmosphere, originality, and professional quality. That's the reason I think lots of folks, myself included, keep coming back to FATW, & other mods by this team like VI2 and NI.

Of course, as a NI beta tester, I may be biased about that one.

Yes, it seems sensible.

When I see the LotrTW map, it's like something's missing. I thoroughly searched, and wouldn't find any major problems. But there is that little difference that makes the decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Yes, it seems sensible.

When I see the LotrTW map, it's like something's missing. I thoroughly searched, and wouldn't find any major problems. But there is that little difference that makes the decision for me.
    The problem I have with LotrTW is that it needs balancing. I love playing Mordor in LOTR mods but in that mod the orcs are pretty weak, all of them are, even the champions and greater orcs. They have a hard time killing regular gondorian infantry. Not even massing up average orc soldiers can kill a single battalion of gondor's infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord's Heir View Post
    The problem I have with LotrTW is that it needs balancing. I love playing Mordor in LOTR mods but in that mod the orcs are pretty weak, all of them are, even the champions and greater orcs. They have a hard time killing regular gondorian infantry. Not even massing up average orc soldiers can kill a single battalion of gondor's infantry.
    Well, that's orcs for ya. Though in this mod the orcs can get to be better powerful, even when not en masse

In my opinion this mod is so much better than most other Lotr mods because FATW is actually fun to play. It's really well balanced and each faction gives an excited and challenging campaign to play. I kind of miss that with most other mods, LOTR-TW has scripts, which is cool, but not really good for balance. TATW just has massive troops but I never really liked the gameplay (which was just lots of fullstacks fighting each other) and METW isn't even playable at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Themea View Post
    Well, that's orcs for ya. Though in this mod the orcs can get to be better powerful, even when not en masse
    The uruk-hai, ork people (as in superior to the average slave ork) were actually feared and skilled fighters.

Indeed. The uruk-hai. "we are fighting uruk-hai. We do not fear the day." Indeed, good times.

Spike's Avatar Primicerius

FATW has one big major difference compared to both TATW and LOTRTW, I must admit, the battle in FATW are much MUCH more balanced and you can have equal footing against anything if you play your strength and cover your weakness, and in campaign terms, they have better ways to make your campaign challenging.

TATW is good, but their tactics are... err... just throwing bunch of hordes against bunch of hordes, pretty generally, and it works with everyone, sadly...

LOTR-TW has "a bit better" campaign play, and the Ring scripts... but, their battles are... just... : only enjoyable if you are "good" factions except free peoples (that means you'll have fun times slaughtering that poor orcs with your elven bows, and still win the battle with 0 casualities)

Annokerate Koriospera Yuinete Kuliansa

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Lykos View Post
    LOTR-TW has "a bit better" campaign play,
    More factions don't mean it's a better campaign. I did not like it at all. I DLed FATW first, and found it... lacking.

More factions don't mean it's a better campaign. I did not like it at all. I DLed FATW first, and found it... lacking.
    Are you sying FATW is lacking?

He probably didn't meant that, he was actually the one starting this thread:

But for some reason I keep returning to FATW. It doesn't even use the standard LotR timeframe. But for some reason I just feel I have to play it.
    He probably confused FATW with LOTR-TW, also because LOTR-TW is the one with more factions compared to FATW.

I dled FATW first, so I found LotrTW lacking. Mah mistake. In my language, or in some slavic languages it would make sense, though.

Ah

I totally understand what Cocroach the great is talking about. There is indeed something about Fourth Age that makes me feel...almost compelled, I guess, to play it.

I'm going to agree with what's already been said here. This mod is so excellent because of the superb polish in all elements of design and every feature or mechanic that's been added by the team. Also contributing to the Fourth Age's greatness are its wonderful atmosphere (the lore is very faithfully represented in many of the mod's aspects even though the mod doesn't actually take place during the War of the Ring). On the note of graphics though, I have to say that, as someone who prefers the LotR books to the movies -even though the movies are really good too- I actually like this mod's art style better than the art of the movies. It seems more appropriate to Middle-earth, given Tolkien's descriptions.

The battles do indeed seem to be very balanced as well, even though the difference between, say for example, Orcs and men of Gondor is quite marked.

However if you get enough orcs, they will take down the White Company, or even Dol Amroth Men-at-Arms. That's balance, conisdering the latter take almost 10x as much mirian to produce.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

...enough orcs...
    There are never enough orcs! Moar! Moar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    There are never enough orcs! Moar! Moar!
    This.

Although moar trolls is good too. (Not on the internet, though)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast