Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does FATW employ mind control?

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Does FATW employ mind control?

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosReigns View Post
    On the note of graphics though, I have to say that, as someone who prefers the LotR books to the movies -even though the movies are really good too- I actually like this mod's art style better than the art of the movies. It seems more appropriate to Middle-earth, given Tolkien's descriptions.
    Well, I never liked the movies very much. They are 'great' in some way, but there are so many things that make me run mad when I see them.

The Elves e.g. are complete fail (their helmets look so stupid! Curved swords, omfg!) and messing up Easterling and Haradrians makes me
    But some things are indeed great. I really love Rohan, the "Easterlings" look great, and especially the Guards of the Citadel. Their design is just awesome. In this context, FATW is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    There are never enough orcs! Moar! Moar!
    And never enough whips!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

I like the FATW units better looking. Just personal taste.

Actually, there are only three mods I just keep returning to:

FATW;
    RoP;
    Invasio Barbarorvm.

They all share a special place in my rtw heart. There is somewhat of a personal feel, that's shared between them. Even though they're all fundamentaly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Well, I never liked the movies very much. They are 'great' in some way, but there are so many things that make me run mad when I see them.

The Elves e.g. are complete fail (their helmets look so stupid! Curved swords, omfg!) and messing up Easterling and Haradrians makes me
    But some things are indeed great. I really love Rohan, the "Easterlings" look great, and especially the Guards of the Citadel. Their design is just awesome. In this context, FATW is lacking.

And never enough whips!
    I like the elves in the movies. They use perhaps my favorite weapon, the rhomphaia, or its a falx. Not sure.

It is meant to be a sword. Resembles the naginata.

The naginata is less a sword and more a polearm, then again the falx and rhomphaia could also be considered polearms

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Well, romphaia and falx both have their edge on the, uhm, "inside" of the blade, like a scythe. The elvish weapons are just like normal swords with a curved blade. Their design is pretty unique though, with that really heavy blade and the 1:1 ratio of handle and blade. Basically the design is very interesting, but it simply doesn't fit the elvish character. It's too aggressive I think.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

It's too formation-oriented. Not really te elven way of fighting (and life).

I would go with elegant, which does fit the elvish design. Though yes, aggressive they are indeed.

What's so elegant about a peasants' anti-cavalry weapon?

Wielding a falx is in one word incredible. You can just feel the transfer of energy moving, the momentum building. It is an elegant weapon when used, I suppose incorrectly, but it is quite the beautiful dance.

This is going slightly off-topic, I think...

Best not to go into a talk about the movies because I'd go insane defending them :/ And also a lot of threads about any film adaption of Tolkien's work in the media can easily be steered into trolling and loss of civility.

Soo... You swooped in searching for some book-worms to pick on?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Soo... You swooped in searching for some book-worms to pick on?
    Nah just saying. The title of this thread intrigued me to look through it.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

I'd argue FATW is the best LotR game out there, despite being a mod it is far superior to anything EA and Sierra has made. The fact is that the team have applied a staggering amount of attention to detail, they work to ensure each release is perfect and free of issues, and it's clear that the mod was made with love and care for the world Tolkien gave us. It's those little details and references to the wider universe that make me smile, and having refined and added to an excellent game is the clincher really. I always come back to the mod after a few months to have another go at it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12