Thread: The Horo

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Default The Horo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horo_(cloak)

I just saw a documentary on Samurai weaponry on History channel, and they had a particular segment on the horo. They did tests with it, and indeed it stopped 70% of arrows fired towards it!
    Was it still in use in the time of Shogun 2?(16th century right?) and could we maybe see it in the game?
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Default Re: The Horo

Yep, I think I saw them in the Gamestar video with the battle of Nagashino, when he's stopping the enemies at the bridge.

The Horo is very much in use in the game period, but tends to be limited to messengers (Tsukaiban) and men of the lord's bodyguard (Hatamoto).

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Yeah I thought they'd probably be used only by the General and his bodyguards, and they'd have the general's "emblem"(similiar to the European coat of arms) on the back
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

The question is. Will players whine the seemingly absurd situation that arrows at the back are not killing hatamoto and will cry foul because they don't know what horo are for.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

A quote about horo from

Japan and China: Japan, its history, arts, and literature (Google eBook) Frank Brinkley
    T. C. & E. C. Jack, 1903 http://books.google.com/books?id=6vp...put=text#c_top

On the whole, however, despite the highly artistic character of its ornamentation, the loose, pendulous nature of Japanese armour detracted greatly from its workmanlike aspect, especially when the horo was added, — a curious appendage in the shape of a curtain of fine transparent silk, which was either stretched in front between the horns of the helmet and the top of the bow or worn on the shoulders and back, to turn the point of an arrow.

Blog's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    The question is. Will players whine the seemingly absurd situation that arrows at the back are not killing hatamoto and will cry foul because they don't know what horo are for.
    More than likely. It wouldn't surprise me if people threatened to boycott CA's other products because of this.