Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knight's Templar = modern day switzerland

Default Knight's Templar = modern day switzerland

For those that know the controversial history of the Knights Templar, you might know what I mean in the topic title.
    I believe they have a lot to do with how modern day Switzerland works. They are very secretive people, just like the templars, Switzerland is very well known for their banking organizations, just like the templars.

Also, in written history, the Knights Templar all escaped into the Alps (mountains in switzerland and northern Italy) after the infamous "Friday the 13th" incident where all the Templars were convicted of satanic worship and spitting on the cross and being sexually active with young boys etc. Were these things true? Maybe, maybe not (I don't think so). There is a lot more to what could have happened there. But anyways, the Templars escaped into the Alps and some decades later, I believe France (maybe incorrect) tried to conquer the remote regions and towns in the Alps. The writers who recorded the battles said the small town people fought off the invading armies and they wrote that "Heavy armored mounted soldiers in white robes" were fighting alongside the peasants. These I believe were the remaining Templars.

My theory: The Templars that escaped trained the small town how to fight and strategize, and the people knew their surroundings better than anybody. Put these things together and nobody could invade their homes back in those days. The templars were excellent with money, and running big organizations, put those things togethere and you have what we call today Switzerland.

I'm not a supersmart person or anything but I just think that might have happened.
    Anyways, I'm sure there is a lot more on their controversial ways and how they could have something to do with many things today. I'm sure there are some sites with a lot more information on this (if anybody has any links, I would love to read them)
    What do you guys think?

Default Re: Knight's Templar = modern day switzerland

I would doubt the templars are responsible for the rise of Switzerland, but it is more than likely that some templars would of escaped to some of the Swiss Cantons. Possibly fighting as mercenaries, or as traditional feudal knights (providing military service in exchange for land grants). The templars had members from many regions and kingdoms, so I could imagine that some templars were of swiss origin and may simply have gone back to their family lands, taking some of their comrades with them.

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Switzerlands flag is the Templar's Cross reversed.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post

Just saying.
    makes sense
    Does anyone know of any books on the knights templars and their influence and connection in today's society?

The Source's Avatar Senator

more convincing evidence.....

http://blog.templarhistory.com/2010/...m-switzerland/

this only calls for one solution

A CRUSADE ON SWITZERLAND

Bowden's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Zvornik View Post
    makes sense
    Does anyone know of any books on the knights templars and their influence and connection in today's society?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_templar#References

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

I think it seems kind of far-fetched...
    Maybe a large part of the remnants of the Templar order did flee to Switzerland, and maybe they did have an impact on the long-term development of the country that would later form rom it, but I´m having trouble believeing that they actually can be held responsible for the birth and rise of the whole country.
    It would be like saying that the pilgrims founded USA, rather than the conglomeration of british colonies...

I can certainly believe that those refugees have affected the culture and/or society of Switzerland, but to give them credit for the whole countrys´ birth? I just can´t do that so easily.
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

Massive_attack's Avatar Campidoctor
    Citizen

Its argueable if you could even really say switzerland "rose" to power so much as took advantage of the holy roman empire's weakness. Regarding the templar connection, i look upon any sort of "secret society" theories about the rise of this and that from ex-templar members with a grain of salt. Several of them, actually. The templar warriors that concievably did survive purgation and the destruction of their order probably spread out across europe, likely sought to limit ties with other templars (lessens ones chance of being caught or recognized considerably), especially since the pro-french king (who had the templars destroyed in order to gain assets in france via local papal connections) avignon papacy ruled for some time after this, and any templar with half a working brain realized that any chances of reuniting the order would probably be nil. What seems more likely, as has already been suggested, is that the templars join local mercenary bands, swear fealty to other christian nations (likely under new names) for protection, or a bit of both a lord's man-at-arms. Im not ruling out that some could have made a run for the alps, but the numbers involved here are probably less than the OP might assume. I certainly dont think the order had much of anything to do with the swiss peoples emergence as a true nation in the later middle ages out of the rotting corpse of the holy roman empire, and safe from the intrigues of italy due to the protective alps. A more powerful concept might have been the role of geography in the rise of switzerland. Having natural very effective defenses on all sides helps out alot.

As for the evidence presented for the case- I cannot comment, I am not well acquitted with the swiss history, but from what little i read, the author sounded incredibly vague describing his points. Plus, he wasnt even sure himself. He merely presents a theory that the templars COULD have had some form of influence on the swiss.

Im putting this down with the theory of the roman legionaries that settled in China. It is within the realm of possibility, but its PROBABLY not the case. At least, not in a simple "the templars founded switzerland" kind of way.
    Last edited by Massive_attack; January 14, 2011 at 05:16 AM.

Wasn't the Roman legionaries theory made very plausible through genetic testing?

Using the geography isn't a good explanation for the rise of Switzerland, as the geography was pretty much the same for perhaps ten thousand years. To claim that geography supported the creation of Switzerland, one could ask why it didn't do so decades or centuries before?

Woot! I could have never thought on that!

But surely there are some Templar descendents in Switzerland.

I love that swiss army knifes, my cousin collects them.
    Last edited by beckyolt; January 14, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Moved.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

unrealistic idea.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

For those that know the controversial history of the Knights Templar, you might know what I mean in the topic title.
    I believe they have a lot to do with how modern day Switzerland works. They are very secretive people, just like the templars, Switzerland is very well known for their banking organizations, just like the templars.

Also, in written history, the Knights Templar all escaped into the Alps (mountains in switzerland and northern Italy) after the infamous "Friday the 13th" incident where all the Templars were convicted of satanic worship and spitting on the cross and being sexually active with young boys etc. Were these things true? Maybe, maybe not (I don't think so). There is a lot more to what could have happened there. But anyways, the Templars escaped into the Alps and some decades later, I believe France (maybe incorrect) tried to conquer the remote regions and towns in the Alps. The writers who recorded the battles said the small town people fought off the invading armies and they wrote that "Heavy armored mounted soldiers in white robes" were fighting alongside the peasants. These I believe were the remaining Templars.

My theory: The Templars that escaped trained the small town how to fight and strategize, and the people knew their surroundings better than anybody. Put these things together and nobody could invade their homes back in those days. The templars were excellent with money, and running big organizations, put those things togethere and you have what we call today Switzerland.

I'm not a supersmart person or anything but I just think that might have happened.
    Anyways, I'm sure there is a lot more on their controversial ways and how they could have something to do with many things today. I'm sure there are some sites with a lot more information on this (if anybody has any links, I would love to read them)
    What do you guys think?
    the only thing you got right here is that swiss men like to lay with boys

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post

Just saying.
    makes sense
    Apart from how they are completely different.

By this logic you could determine Italy and Hungary were founded by the same people.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Also, in written history, the Knights Templar all escaped into the Alps (mountains in switzerland and northern Italy) after the infamous "Friday the 13th" incident where all the Templars were convicted of satanic worship and spitting on the cross and being sexually active with young boys etc.
    Except for the ones that joined similar organisations in neighboring countries (like the Hospitallers) or escaped to Scotland. And some regions pretty much just changed their names (IIRC, there was a Spanish or Portuguese group of Templars that did that).
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by troy7 View Post
    more convincing evidence.....

http://blog.templarhistory.com/2010/...m-switzerland/

this only calls for one solution

A CRUSADE ON SWITZERLAND
    Evidence? lol
    This part was particularly amusing:
    The Swiss were and are famous for their religious tolerance
    This is said about a nation that banned Burkas?
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Most Templars outside of France just joined other Orders, nothing spectacular.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

I suppose they're just as racist.

The Source's Avatar Senator

i dont see how bloodthursty englishmen that amuse themselves from killing muslims can turn into ice skaters..

OK if they went to swizzterland what happened to their huge navy
    dan da man wit da plan
    all hail the mighty money cheat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast