The Plebs were absolutely bloodthirsty. They thronged before the rostra, roaring that one name that they had so longingly cheered. Such simple creatures, Pallas thought, so easily fooled and deluded by any mouth that can promise them a single bushel of corn. A trait so easily exploited. He smiled and examined his well-manicured nails before them, inciting them even further.

I have heard your complaints, your anger, and I wish to say to you all, thank you. The Senate cannot possibly ignore your voices. The gods cannot possibly ignore your voices. You are, after all, Romans as much as any Senator, Romans as much as any aristocrat, and Romans as much as any consular man, be he a Caecilius Metellus or a Cornelius Scipio.

The crowd quieted down. Surely this was a trick. Pallas' own personal dislike of the poor was common knowledge, yet he addressed them as equals.

And at the same time I wonder, just what do you plan to achieve from all of this? More land for yourselves? More enfranchisement? I think Gracchus has shown you the path for enfranchisement, hasn't he? The Senate has been completely bypassed in his attempt at this agrarian law. Which then means your motives are, of course, for more land. A clever ruse. He would take all the lands from the Patricians and instead hand them to you, the people. An admirable man, a laudable man, a man deserving to be your leader, your savior!

The crowd grew silent. Was this still Pallas? How has this man switched his tone from so acrimonious to so pleasant? A few voices of consent rose up in the crowd and Pallas smiled.

And of course you shall have all of that. Land, enfranchisement, equality. EQUALITY! Oh that is a word that we have not heard in all of these years, isn't it, Romans? Equality. Why, just a few months ago, the Italians rose up and demanded their citizenship. They were ruthlessly put down, those who rebelled. Do you think the Senate would forgive you, citizens though you are? If debt bondage is so easily imposed upon anyone of you, if your citizenship could be so easily deprived, then what do you think will keep the Senate from murdering you all? Really, let's be reasonable, I have no love for you, the Senate has no love for you. Only Gracchus does. He is your savior is he not? Yet he is pushing you closer and closer to an edge that you cannot return from. And if you were to fail? Worse yet, if you were to succeed? Would the cycle not simply repeat itself? There will always be rich and poor, aristocrat and commoners. The poor will always be oppressed by the rich, and a demagogue will always push the poor to rebel against the rich. Really, Romans, I had hoped you would've realized it. I cannot speak for what Gracchus would do once he has taken full power because personally, I do not know. So for all you know, my words could just be patrician conjecture based purely on my hatred of the Plebs.

Yet I extolled Gracchus. Curious how the stage of this world plays out, doesn't it?

The forum was silent for the first time. A messenger arrived and whispered something in Pallas' ear. He smiled. Oh, those poor fools. They had delivered to him exactly what he needed.

Romans! I have just received word that your tribune Gracchus has vetoed all motions before the city. He has vetoed the opening of courts, he has vetoed the opening of markets, he has vetoed the opening of the public treasury, and he has vetoed all functions of the Senate, and all elections! Romans, he has neutered the Senate, your victory is complete!

A roar went up amongst the crowd. Chants of Gracchus' name rose up again. Though Pallas also heard some chants of his own name. Deluded, deluded fools

But he has let a single legislation pass through, though it was vetoed by his co-tribune, a puppet of the Senate. Do you know what that legislation was? It called for a double of all the grain supply to all citizens! Romans! Another victory has been scored for you by your savior, Gracchus! Romans, join me in our chorus of praising Gracchus and his victory on behalf of you!

Theatrics, pure theatrics. But the Plebs bought it all. They shouted Gracchus' name, while more and more of them started shouting Pallas' name as well. So this is what it felt to be a demagogue. How intoxicating! Pallas held up his hands for silence, and the mob obeyed like a trained dog.

However, there was a problem.

Someone in the mob shouted. "THE OTHER TRIBUNE!" Thousands of consenting voices went up and threatened to drown out Pallas once more. He held up his hands again. And the people quieted.

Yes, the other tribune. But that was not all. You see, there was a second attachment of the bill, something that Gracchus willingly allowed . Do you know what that was, Romans? It was the expansion of citizenship to all members of the Italian socii! All of the other socii, Romans! All of them! From Tarentum to Crotona, to Capua! There were men who threatened to kill you all, and Gracchus has willingly tried to grant the same rights as you! This is what Gracchus, savior of the people has allowed. Doubling our grain allotment for you and the socii that tried so hard to kill you all! And where would the grains have come from?

You.

A ripple of shock spread through the crowd. Pallas had built up Gracchus so much that the people willingly believed every single word that Pallas said. And now, they believed even these words.

The citizenry would be expanded almost fourfold, and grain distribution would be doubled for each citizen. That is eight times more grain than what we currently produce for you. And judging by the fact that many of you are still starving, how do you think we will ever be able to afford the increase? How can we even begin to supply all of the citizens, including all the socii as well as you, if we cannot even supply all of us now?

This, remember, Romans, has been agreed upon by Gracchus, your savior. He has consented to this. He has consented to granting citizenship for those who months ago had shouted for Roman blood. He has consented to giving them grain, a privilege that only YOU, true citizens of Rome, should hold. He has consented in letting those who betray us be our equals. Truly, Gracchus is your savior, he is your representative. Truly, he adores you beyond measure!

But I am not speaking ill of Gracchus, I am merely speaking on behalf of what has happened within the Senate. I am merely speaking of what I know. I am speaking on the FACTS of what happened. Truth, Romans, need no embellishment.

He has vetoed the courts! Listen to the screams of women as they are raped in the streets by thugs. These are your wives, your sisters, your mothers, and your daughters. There will be no justice granted to the victims. They will forever bear the shame of today's infamy! Their names will forever be tarnished! Truly, Gracchus is your savior! Truly, Gracchus adored you! Truly, Gracchus loved you!

He has vetoed the operation of the treasury! How will we buy the grain that he has so adamantly demanded for you? How will we purchase the unimaginable amount of grain that must now be increased eightfold for you? Where shall we find the money to buy it all? From the patricians? But their lands have been turned over to you on orders of Gracchus! The money must come from you! You will be left poorer than before, left poorer than ever, living like mere slaves to the promise of land because of Gracchus! No, you will not live like slaves, for debt bondage for purchasing the grain will shackle you into slavery! You will BECOME slaves! Yes! Gracchus is your savior! Yes! Gracchus adored you! Yes! Gracchus loved you!

He has vetoed the opening of markets. How will those of you fortunate enough to still remain free be able to purchase your grains? Where will you get the food that you so desperately need to feed your family? Your new farms will be pillaged by brigands who will fear no law. Your money will be taken to buy the grain that was promised. You are left with nothing, and even what little pittance you have will be worthless as the markets are forbidden to be opened! You will starve, even as the grain silos are filled higher and higher! Gracchus has done this! Gracchus will be your savior! Gracchus will love you like his own children while your children will starve like malnourished slaves!

Quirites! I speak not to discredit Gracchus but to speak of what I know! You were all honorable citizens once before, yet now you have become a bloodthirsty mob! You were lied to by Gracchus, whose love for you is as sincere as mine. You have been betrayed by Gracchus, whose love for you was as corporeal as the smoke that rises from censers!

Yet I have not lied to you! I simply spoke to you. I told you facts, of real numbers, and of real actions. Romans. Gracchus is not your savior! Gracchus does not love you! Gracchus had never loved you. You were fooled by a man who thought himself a king! You were fooled by a man who sought power he never should have had!

Romans. You were betrayed.

He saw the distant fires of the Curia and saw vestal virgins being struck to the ground. Pointing his fingers at both spectacles, Pallas continued.

Behold the Curia, the pride of our Roman laws, the center of our civilization, burnt down by men who were fooled. Behold the vestal virgins, women who had done nothing wrong yet raped without distinction. Are these the acts of Romans or animals?!

Roars of indignations went up. This was the critical time for Pallas. He raised his hands for silence, and remarkably, the people obeyed. Their love for Gracchus was displaced, and now placed entirely in Pallas.

Romans! Seize the rapists! Hurl them from the Tarpeian rocks! Stay your hands from the Senate House! Stay and listen to my words! These are the words of Truth! The ideal that binds all of Rome together, the ideal that melds all our hearts into one! Romans! Lend me your ears!

The crowd cheered and chanted Pallas' name. He held his arms up for silence.

You see now how your tribune has abused his position amongst you. You see now how the tribunate has been corrupt. It was never the Senate's wish to abolish it, but Gracchus' pandering, his betrayal to you has been far too great, far too damaging for the Senate to even consider reopening the tribunate again. He has nearly enslaved you all, doomed all of your women to rape and violence, and granted amnesty to your enemies. How can we possibly let another tribune like that rise up? How can you possibly fight back a force that so easily, so eloquently, and so cleverly abused you, lied to you, and betrayed you?

Romans! The tribunate, it is kingship in all but name, and Gracchus has shown us just that. We must abolish it. We cannot allow it to continue! Romans! Let ME be your voice in the Senate. Let ME speak on behalf of you to the Senate! And let ME represent you without the regal powers of Tribunate. Let ME be a true representative, and violence such as this will NEVER reign in the streets of Rome again!

Romans! What say you!?

The roar that rose up shook the very foundations of the earth. Pallas' name was chanted across the forum, across the City, and some say, even across Italy. He had accomplished what none of the other senators had accomplished before.

He had dissolved the tribunate

Romans, return to your homes. Return to your lives. And tomorrow, we shall rebuild. Tomorrow we will gain back the honor we have lost tonight, and we shall stand against the world as the foremost men in virtue, honor, and courage.

The crowd began to disperse, still chanting Pallas' name. A triumphant smirk curled upwards and his falcon grey eyes flashed with glee. A serpent has been let loose within Rome, and its poison will soon be felt by all.

ooc: boy that took forever