Thread: Seleukia and unrest problems-help!

Default Seleukia and unrest problems-help!

How are people getting on with unrest problems playing as any faction?

The fact that money is very tight in this mod doesn't bother me, it must sure stop people blitzing, but where I am suffering is with unrest in most of my 30 Seleukid settlements.

I have tried moving my capitol to Seleukia from Antioch only for it to have a good effect on my eastern poorer provinces but damage my more important western coastal city wealth.

I build lots of happiness buildings and sewers,baths etc and have quite strong cheap garrisons and also appoint good governers in nearly all provinces.
    But after the ease (in regards to unrest) of playing the excellent SPQR mod I find myself back in those good old vanilla days (not) of having to exterminate my own populations after encouraging them to rebel because unrest causes me to tax to the minimum and often many eastern provinces minus much money each turn.
    I was at war with just the Ptolemies and had trade with everybody and have a spy in each of my cities to spot the AI's, the year is about 258 bc and populations over 12,000 are a real pain in the butt!

I would consider myself to be a fairly experienced player so where am I going wrong?

give the cities as a gift (while your not building anything) to whoever your at war with then take it back and exterminate.
    However, playing as Rome I found this was only necessary on really huge cities that I have just taken.
    You can get in a catch 22 with your cities if your not careful, low taxes means higher population growth...higher growth means more squalor, higher squalor means more unrest. High taxes means higher unrest.
    Basically wou need to build all the buildings you can to keep them happy at higher taxes, and use your best governors in your biggest cities.

Not a bad idea-the giving of difficult settlements, even better if I can sell them before re-taking them.

But if I start again with the Seleukids I will consider cashing in the buildings and selling the Eastern settlements that are not really worth the hassle, and just concentrate on Western port expansion where the money is because the Eastern settlements have been a serious drain on limited funds.

Abandoning 40-50% of the starting provinces when they start to become money drains seems drastic, any long term EB's have any better ideas and yes before any one asks all settlements had roads etc to help trade and were further developed in a thought out manner.
    Last edited by Frost, colonel; January 16, 2006 at 03:06 AM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

This is one reason why I just don't play as the Seleucid Empire anymore - it's absolutely enormous! How on Earth you're meant to govern it is totally beyond me. I like to start out with only one or two provinces, myself.

I just posted this in the bug forum, but don't worry about unrest and public order. In my Seleucid campain, many cities have zero public order and didn't rebel.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

I know I'm kind of late for this forum, but here's my two cents.

I myself really hate the whole idea of public order. In history, you exterminate halve of a city of several thousand, odds where they would only think about rebelion when a much stronger force from the outside comes to liberate them. Seriously, when do you hear about Tarentium rebeling from the SPQR (in REAL history, mind you)? Never! They loved the idea of being Romans, and would never dream of rebeling. In this game, you get to the point where you have all the resources needed to build some magnificant structure, get halve way into building before you have to scrap the whole plan to build a temple for fear of rebelion.

So, if you are like me, and don't mind going through some files to make the game more enjoyable, figure out the internal name of one of your factions temples, and paste this into the file.

law_bonus bonus 2000
    happiness_bonus bonus 2000

Or, if you don't like how the game cheats and want to say face, this...

law_bonus bonus 2000 requires factions { yourfaction, }
    happiness_bonus bonus 2000 requires factions { yourfaction, }

I wouldn't recommend the second choice as it makes the game to easy.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

After playing EB for a while now, I found public unrest to be way too much hassle. Even as Makedon, I get nailed with heavy unrest after taking the Greek peninsula... insane! As the Seluekids, forget it; I have to give up on most of my eastern provinces because the cost of setting garissons for them is just not worth it.

Oh well... at least it's not the things that is driving me away from EB... I still can't figure out the recruiting system. I'm the owner of all of Greece, Anatolia, Western Syria and Egypt and I still can't build companions in Makedonia with an almost maxed out building tree.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by big_feef
    I still can't figure out the recruiting system. I'm the owner of all of Greece, Anatolia, Western Syria and Egypt and I still can't build companions in Makedonia with an almost maxed out building tree.
    Easy, friend. There is a bug in recruiting system. Read about it in the bug report forum.