View Poll Results: How do you rate that idea - do you like such principle?

Voters
421. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hey, good idea, i like the possibility for all to contribute to the mod

340 80.76%
  • Whoot? MasterBigAb go away, step by side, let the King speak !!!

23 5.46%
  • Cool a poll, I have no opinion about this but i really liek to vote on polls...

58 13.78%
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: "Custom Settlement: modells and objects" - collection point

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

Default Re: "Custom Settlement: modells and objects" - collection point

Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    @ Warkeeper: nice little prancing poney inn .

With leaves (poly count without branches and roots fall from 13178 to 7816, do we need them so badly ?):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now "just" have to try it ingame, amen .
    Wow lookin good. About the builidings, meaby they need another coclour to not melt in to the tree as MasterBig suggested . Meaby a browner colour and with gold on the details. keep it up
    Last edited by TheGeat; January 14, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    Just look at various images on the net of Minas Morgul and then look at John Howe's version. The movies used John Howe's version as a reference. They also used his images as references for the wargs and fell beasts in the movies. None of these fit the description in the book so I hate them for that alone. I'm not saying his art is bad, it looks good, he just doesn't know how to read or doesn't care to.

In the books they are stated as twin cities meaning the walls of both were fashioned the same and made of the same indestructible stuff. The main difference between them is Minas Tirirth has a mountain cliff jutting through it, where as Minas Morgul (as it was later named) has a revolving tower. In the books the walls are stated to have a "corpse glow" to them but they are still the same walls that they always were. When you capture a city/fortress you don't tear down its walls and defenses, you take them for yourself, especially when they are indestructible.
    I see what you're saying but don't confuse the terms 'twin cities' and 'identical cities'. I really don't see the issue with the movie depiction of Minas Morgul.

No problem MBA, I just reused one of the vanilla kingdoms texture (branch_page_oak_summer). I'm not skilled enough to create a texture from scratch so any suggestion is welcome . I'm looking in the kindgoms texture files for more variants like these:

Looks like an ikea showdown .

@ Diglytron: it'll be awesome if it works ingame but thanks anyway
    Maybe this can help you:
    http://kautsar.co.uk/wp-content/uplo...orien_dg82.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Yarrum View Post
    I see what you're saying but don't confuse the terms 'twin cities' and 'identical cities'. I really don't see the issue with the movie depiction of Minas Morgul.
    "Twin cities" can only mean a few things so far as I can gather.

1. Two cities that grow into each other literally becoming one. This never happened with Minas Tirith and Minas Ithel (Minas Morgul). Plus Osgiliath was in between them so it couldn't possibly mean this.

2. Born/built at the same time. This is possible but I am pretty sure Minas Tirith was built long before Minas Ithel was.

3. Identical or very similar. The main difference being a cliff jutting through one (due to being built on the end of a mountain range) and a revolving tower in the other (because it was built in a vale so there was no cliff to use I suppose).

I say again, I don't have an issue with how someone else makes Minas Morgul because it is their choice and I can always make my own. I am simply stating that the movies use John Howe's very, very loose interpretations for many things so now all these peeps (I could use a harsher word) follow suit. I just don't get it is all. Also, while on the subject of buildings, the tower of Orthanc should look like a mini Barad-Dur, though this isn't a big deal either.
    Last edited by alreadyded; January 14, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    "Twin cities" can only mean a few things so far as I can gather.

1. Two cities that grow into each other literally becoming one. This never happened with Minas Tirith and Minas Ithel (Minas Morgul). Plus Osgiliath was in between them so it couldn't possibly mean this.

2. Born/built at the same time. This is possible but I am pretty sure Minas Tirith was built long before Minas Ithel was.

3. Identical or very similar. The main difference being a cliff jutting through one (due to being built on the end of a mountain range) and a revolving tower in the other (because it was built in a vale so there was no cliff to use I suppose).

I say again, I don't have an issue with how someone else makes Minas Morgul because it is their choice and I can always make my own. I am simply stating that the movies use John Howe's very, very loose interpretations for many things so now all these peeps (I could use a harsher word) follow suit. I just don't get it is all. Also, while on the subject of buildings, the tower of Orthanc should look like a mini Barad-Dur, though this isn't a big deal either.
    I am pretty sure it is option 2, as AFAIK they were build around the same time.

@Dazo
    The elven settlement looks awesome and I want to suggest the the main place, which has to be conquered to win the battle, should be the there, where Galadriel`s Mirror is placed, because it is the most holiest place in Caras Galadhon.

But there is one thing that should be improved in my eyes, the trees should be brigther, the same with the buildings. Like this:

Some settlements which could be very interesting for an own model, are
    Pelargir:

Last picture taken from wiki.lindefirion.net/ProjectPelargir very impressive project!!!

Bree:

Hobbiton:

Perhaps the people, who creates or are working on settlements should be talk with each other to avoid that two are working on the same settlement.

And it is possible to collect the different pictures from the settlements, which are posted up to now?

Pelagir should be the best able on to mod with milkshape ^^.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    Pelagir should be the best able on to mod with milkshape ^^.
    not if it's like that, because you would need bridges in the city

Dazo's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeat View Post
    Wow lookin good. About the builidings, meaby they need another coclour to not melt in to the tree as MasterBig suggested . Meaby a browner colour and with gold on the details. keep it up
    Quote Originally Posted by Förster44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
    @Dazo
    The elven settlement looks awesome and I want to suggest the the main place, which has to be conquered to win the battle, should be the there, where Galadriel`s Mirror is placed, because it is the most holiest place in Caras Galadhon.

But there is one thing that should be improved in my eyes, the trees should be brigther, the same with the buildings. Like this:
    Thx for your comments/suggestions .

@ The Geat: seems people agree the default texture has to "leave" the tree (hoho ). If the model works I'll be free to try anything else.

@ Förster44: actually I used this pic to build the stair and take mesures for trees . Low branches costed a lot of polygons so I had to cut them but who knows, elven statues .

@ Pallas: same as The Geat for textures. I intend to work on details later but I'll first practice on generic models (Balin's tomb does not count, it was a box ! ).
    For other settlements:
    Look at last KK's pic you already have Hobbiton's bridge .
    Wow, great pics/maps for Pelargir but it's like Osgiliath, bridges will probably delay any work/project on it.

+

EDIT: ah dikkelul3bier beat me to it for Pelargir's bridges
    REP Blackomur89.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

not if it's like that, because you would need bridges in the city
    Getting the AI to use the bridges correctly is likely the biggest issue. You would also have to have the inner gates at the end of the bridges open or at least reasonably positioned back from the bridges.

can you make the bridge destroyable, I mean, like wall. Because then you vould be able to destroy it with trebuchet if you are attacked by stronger enemy and don't want to loose the city

Quote Originally Posted by boris73 View Post
    can you make the bridge destroyable, I mean, like wall. Because then you vould be able to destroy it with trebuchet if you are attacked by stronger enemy and don't want to loose the city
    Surely not, that would destroy the gameplay.Also just because the AI would have big troubles with the bridges, even if they are not destroyable. And if you destroy the bridges, the enemy can still come with artillery or cross the river with boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    This couldn´t be kept in secret until it´s done?

RD, I have the whole model, terrain and textures already, more or less, so if you are not a badass you might waste your time.

comming back from work and i read this...
    is i said, i'm almost finished, just needs textures,custom orc or destroyed buildings and finish the bridge.
    i'm not a badass but it has taken me enough time to make it look more detaiked thanthe one from oblivion.

too bad for me.

i think it would be good for everyone working on a settlement to say it here so we can avoid the same problem in the future. this thread is here for this. since my minas morgul is unneeded, i propose to work on a barad dur.? perhaps a bit too hard, but i'm gonna start working on it too see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
    comming back from work and i read this...
    is i said, i'm almost finished, just needs textures,custom orc or destroyed buildings and finish the bridge.
    i'm not a badass but it has taken me enough time to make it look more detaiked thanthe one from oblivion.

too bad for me.

i think it would be good for everyone working on a settlement to say it here so we can avoid the same problem in the future. this thread is here for this. since my minas morgul is unneeded, i propose to work on a barad dur.? perhaps a bit too hard, but i'm gonna start working on it too see how it works.
    why somewane else finnisht minas morgul? i mean.. your bridge looks awsome so please show some more of the rest of the settlement , im realy interested!!!

why somewane else finnisht minas morgul? i mean.. your bridge looks awsome so please show some more of the rest of the settlement , im realy interested!!!
    You are mistaking Red_Devil for Devils_Advocate

TMK's Avatar BC Local Moderator

The guy who did the bridge is Devils_Advocate. This guy is Red_Devil and they are both doing Minas Morgul but Devils_Advocate says he is almost done so Red_Devil is stopping. I know its confusing that 2 people with similar names were trying to build Minas Morgul. I thought they were the same people at the start as well.

We need someone to coordinate people and create several working team with complementary skill. =)

there are no boats in tatw

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

No problem MBA, I just reused one of the vanilla kingdoms texture (branch_page_oak_summer). I'm not skilled enough to create a texture from scratch so any suggestion is welcome . I'm looking in the kindgoms texture files for more variants like these:

Looks like an ikea showdown .

@ Diglytron: it'll be awesome if it works ingame but thanks anyway
    The second one, that looks really damn great !!!
    (I have to spread^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Lebre View Post
    You are mistaking Red_Devil for Devils_Advocate
    lol now i see sorry