Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why tricorns?

Default why tricorns?

why do soldiers have tricorns again ala ETW? game kinda loses its napoleonic feel with soldiers modeled to look as if they are from decades earlier

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: why tricorns?

Quote Originally Posted by vrgadin View Post
    why do soldiers have tricorns again ala ETW? game kinda loses its napoleonic feel with soldiers modeled to look as if they are from decades earlier
    Firstly, they're not tricorns. They're bicorns.
    Tricorn (3 corners)

Bicorn (2 Corners)

Secondly, that was the point. This mod is about the French Revolution, and so before Napoleon's days. Sure the campaign is still broken, but we're getting at it!

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Classic!

hahaha
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

and if in french revolution some soldiers still weared tricorns becuase it begins at 1789 so to get feeling about french revolution we need them but for me it is perfect

Go look up any one of literally THOUSANDS of available pictures of early Napoleonic soldiers. They all have bicorns (or mitres be they certain grenadiers). Shakos didn't hit the scene until around 1805 (yes, they existed before then, but barely). The uniforms presented in ROW are honestly the PERFECT representations of what was historically accurate!!! Trust us, this is what the soldiers looked like!

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Marshal Beale ♠ View Post
    hahaha
    Yes, MB, this one made me laugh a little too. The sad sort of laugh that brings pity

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Autocrat View Post
    Yes, MB, this one made me laugh a little too. The sad sort of laugh that brings pity
    Some people don't read at all eh? This mod clearly says: REVOLUTION Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Oggie♔ View Post
    Some people don't read at all eh? This mod clearly says: REVOLUTION Total War.
    THANK YOU, MY GOOD MAN!!! REVOLUTION IS QUITE LITERALLY THE NAME OF THE GAME!!!

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

No problem at all good sir. Always there to help

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Wikipedia says the tricorne fell out of fashion shortly before 1789. The bicorne was introduced in European armies in the 1790s. So this is a debatable point.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Ah, well but not every regiment would probably get the new hats immediately. So some/many would still have fought with tricornes.
    I don't mind though, tricornes or bicornes. Both look absolutely stunning on these units

bicorns were wore right up until 1808, and not completely wiped out in the army until 1812. So they had a long effect on France, but bicorns were defiantly the fashion of the 90's. But I would have liked to put in some bicorns, if the correct model was available!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

Yep. Some folks tend to think that everyone threw out their powdered wigs and cocked hats on New Year's eve, 1799.
    "For you Carruthers. Happy New Century!"
    "Well, 'Pon my word! What is it?"
    "A shako, old boy. They'll be all the rage soon, I guarantee it."
    "Looks blasted strange, but Thank you, I suppose. Where's your wig, Smedley?"
    "It's a new Year, a new Decade, and a new Century, Carruthers! I've a feeling these short Greco-Roman hairstyles will soon be the new standard."
    "Looks like a frightened muskrat made a nest on your head, but suit yourself old fruit."
    Last edited by Lord Horatius; January 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
    No Frog will take MY fusiliers! Click here for some of my Historical Fiction:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=393678 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...79#post8467779

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

haha + rep

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Marshal Beale ♠ View Post
    bicorns were wore right up until 1808, and not completely wiped out in the army until 1812. So they had a long effect on France, but bicorns were defiantly the fashion of the 90's. But I would have liked to put in some bicorns, if the correct model was available!
    There are bicorned models in ETW and various mods. I will look for suitable models to recommend.

Here is the euro_bicorne model in the default ETW game:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Geronimo2006; January 15, 2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    There are bicorned models in ETW and various mods. I will look for suitable models to recommend.

Here is the euro_bicorne model in the default ETW game:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

We don't want to use ETW models, especially alongside NTW models since the ETW ones look horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    We don't want to use ETW models, especially alongside NTW models since the ETW ones look horrible.
    This is an officer bicorn, The ones worn by common soldiers were just wider, flat-fronted versions of the tricorne, and was worn with the two sides above the shoulders.
    Pic of the british foot guards (1786-1797) and prussian infantry (1780-1798)
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

Soult Old boy! To the rescue once again! Well done sir, Well done!
    The Prusskies are very fine looking indeed! Is that a plate from an Osprey Book?
    No Frog will take MY fusiliers! Click here for some of my Historical Fiction:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=393678 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...79#post8467779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast