Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

Default Re: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

As the C'tan were born from suns all over this galaxy, theres no reason to doubt that there were others in other galaxies. But their focus on this galaxy is why we don't know for sure.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    As the C'tan were born from suns all over this galaxy, theres no reason to doubt that there were others in other galaxies. But their focus on this galaxy is why we don't know for sure.
    Also another question I have, and this is more of a personal opinion, do you think Chaos exists in the other galaxies? Or just this one?

Obviously it does. It exists in other dimensions too.
    Art //

Obviously it does. It exists in other dimensions too.
    So the fact that Chaos is weak in this galaxy, could that be because the Chaos Gods are preoccupied elsewhere?

The idea of a god over extending himself seems odd.

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    The idea of a god over extending himself seems odd.
    The Chaos Gods aren't Gods, they are just absurdly, ludicrously strong demons.

True I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    So the fact that Chaos is weak in this galaxy, could that be because the Chaos Gods are preoccupied elsewhere?
    No. They fail in every universe

Quote Originally Posted by Del Valle View Post
    The Chaos Gods aren't Gods, they are just absurdly, ludicrously strong demons.
    They are gods. Else they wouldn't be called 'gods'. They can't be daemons as daemons can't create new daemons like the Chaos Gods can.
    Art //

Del Valle's Avatar Senator

They are gods. Else they wouldn't be called 'gods'. They can't be daemons as daemons can't create new daemons like the Chaos Gods can.
    They have nowhere near the power of true omnipotent Gods. They rely on the emotions of the living, which means there's an inherent limit to their power. Besides, according to the Emperor, there aren't any Gods, so at least one person don't think they are Gods.

chaos gods can only exist through the power of belief and devotion......no followers or emotion and they dont exist. To my understanding C'tan only require substance as they already tricked their followers to give them physical form. Between a C'tan and a chaos god, a C'tan would win but I'm sure some of the chaos patrons(my lord changer of ways) would think of something.....still waiting for some good fluff where chaos and nercons collide, a showdown between the deceiver and my master the changer of ways would be very interesting, the grey knights are no fun at all.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

i thought only warp stuff does much damage to the necrons though?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Valle View Post
    They have nowhere near the power of true omnipotent Gods. They rely on the emotions of the living, which means there's an inherent limit to their power. Besides, according to the Emperor, there aren't any Gods, so at least one person don't think they are Gods.
    But when the Emperor said that he told a bold face lie. He didn't deny the existence of just the Chaos Gods but all Gods including the C'Tan who are very much like gods... He made a blanket statement lie that he got caught up in later on and along with his aloofness towards the end of the Great Crusade, sowed the seeds for the Horus Heresy...

No. They fail in every universe

Well see this is the funny thing you both could be right, and you both could be wrong depending on your view of what a god is. As far as I know in 40K and Fantasy to be a god you just need to be a vastly powerful psychic being created from the emotions and dreams of mortals. The C'Tan are the golden exception (no pun intended Ulysses) because they weren't created by mortals as far as we know.

From what I can tell the Chaos Gods really aren't gods even though they are extremely powerful. For one they are not omnipotent and it's hard to think of a god that can't see everything, they can be killed although this weakness is arbitrary because of what would be needed to kill a Chaos God. They possess no true intelligence by that I mean they cannot think beyond themselves or their spheres of influence. The Chaos Gods are weakened everytime they create a Daemon a true god could create life without weakening itself in the process.

All this considered the Chaos Gods just look like very powerful Daemons... The problem with this is that it creates a logical contradiction... But everything I said was true. I think GW needs to create a more concrete benchmark for what a god is in their universes.

In terms of what a god is in 40k they are. Massively Powerful beings with the power to create and destroy on a massive scale.
    Art //

In terms of what a god is in 40k they are. Massively Powerful beings with the power to create and destroy on a massive scale.
    Well if the fluff says they are, I can't argue that. I was under the impression a clear definition never was given... Meh, guess it gives us something to be proud of...

c'tan were born from stars though?

they were just gasy cloud things that ate stars or whatever?

they're kind of like fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer. cannot remember the name of the uber baddy that's 'godlike' and devours worlds etc.

however they were/are worshipped. the chaos beings in the warp are worshipped. You dont know whether GW uses the term gods because they are worshipped by so many in the galaxy or whether they specifically mean them to be gods officially.

It's viewpoint-based, the emperor is supposed to be merely a supremely able psyker and c'tan are gods..yet the Emperor beat a so-called god and locked him up. How could this be possible? 4 chaos 'gods' hooked up to attempt his downfall.

"the emperor's a god" is the only answer, but yet this is arguably not the case.

c'tan were born from stars though?
    Yes they were. They are the oldest sentient beings.

they were just gasy cloud things that ate stars or whatever?
    They were. They still had some of their traits before they had bodies though (The Nightbringer was what caused the Necrontyr's short lives). When the Necrontyr forged them bodies they gained a malevolent sentience. When you condense gigantic energy beings into a smallish body their power becomes incredibly focussed. They why they are gods. They can control the laws of physics and break them at will. This made them the most powerful beings in the universe and they were subsequently worshipped as such.

they're kind of like fantastic 4: rise of the silver surfer. cannot remember the name of the uber baddy that's 'godlike' and devours worlds etc.
    Galactus.....

It's viewpoint-based, the emperor is supposed to be merely a supremely able psyker and c'tan are gods..yet the Emperor beat a so-called god and locked him up. How could this be possible? 4 chaos 'gods' hooked up to attempt his downfall.
    As the warp is the C'tans only real weakness, the Emperor has a pretty good advantage. But i like to think of 40K gods in terms of the Greek gods. Beings that are empowered by worship, but are not truly immortal or all powerful.
    Art //

A god is 40k is whatever is powerful enough to call itself a god, create acts of godlike power and be worshipped.
    Whether or not they gain power from worship isn't relavent. Afterall the defining of God is defined from these gods themselves.
    Afterall you cannot use abrahamic religions as a basis for the defining of god for a fictional universe.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

As the warp is the C'tans only real weakness, the Emperor has a pretty good advantage. But i like to think of 40K gods in terms of the Greek gods. Beings that are empowered by worship, but are not truly immortal or all powerful.
    pretty good comparison, im happy to compromise on that.

Not immune to downfall either.

Tyranids are currently the most serious threat, as they are fully mobilized and prepared to totally waste the galaxy. Long term, though, Necrons are far more deadly. As soon as they fully mobilize, they'll be worse than the Tyranids though.
    Per la Gloria di Roma, a Rome: Total War AAR
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418680

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast