Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

Default Re: Necrons v. Tyranids: Who is the Bigger Threat?

Quote Originally Posted by 43rdFoot View Post
    As we all know, both of these factions basically want to destroy or consume all life. Well, technically Tyranids simply want to eat all non-nid life, but the point is basically the same.

Considering that both will not stop until they have consumed or terminated () all life in the universe or are totally destroyed, which is the bigger threat to the other races?
    I will say Tyranids both in the long and short run. Necron Harvests are truly devastating but rarely does a Necron threat extend beyond a single planet or system or beyond small fleet actions, very rarely. But to me it seems the Tyrandis very rarely are contained to a single system. Every encounter with the Tyranids resulted in hundreds or thousands of systems and dozens of sectors either being mobilized, devastated, consumed, or cordoned off and isolated due to a Hive Fleet marching in. Tactically Necrons are a bigger threat but in the grander scheme of things Tyranids represent a larger strategic threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Or they could just eat the Nids................
    But nids don't have souls do they?

I will say Tyranids both in the long and short run. Necron Harvests are truly devastating but rarely does a Necron threat extend beyond a single planet or system or beyond small fleet actions, very rarely. But to me it seems the Tyrandis very rarely are contained to a single system. Every encounter with the Tyranids resulted in hundreds or thousands of systems and dozens of sectors either being mobilized, devastated, consumed, or cordoned off and isolated due to a Hive Fleet marching in. Tactically Necrons are a bigger threat but in the grander scheme of things Tyranids represent a larger strategic threat.
    Now that I think about it the Necrons are the most dangerous.

What we see now are really just isolated incidences as they have yet to arise.

The thing is, the Tyranids are invading from outside the galaxy and live only to destroy. That's pretty straightforward to deal with.

Necrons on the other hand, their worlds are scattered throughout the Imperium and even at its core, Mars being home to a C'tan god itself and the Necrons have already penetrated the defences of that system. The Deceiver is also playing politics within the Imperium and that IMO is quite dangerous.

If the Necrons continue to arise, the Imperium will find itself fighting metallic foes coming from behind and not from the front like the Tyranids.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post

Now that I think about it the Necrons are the most dangerous.

What we see now are really just isolated incidences as they have yet to arise.

The thing is, the Tyranids are invading from outside the galaxy and live only to destroy. That's pretty straightforward to deal with.

Necrons on the other hand, their worlds are scattered throughout the Imperium and even at its core, Mars being home to a C'tan god itself and the Necrons have already penetrated the defences of that system. The Deceiver is also playing politics within the Imperium and that IMO is quite dangerous.

If the Necrons continue to arise, the Imperium will find itself fighting metallic foes coming from behind and not from the front like the Tyranids.
    Dealing with the Tyranids is not a straightforward threat to deal with. The average Hive Fleet has on average 1.5 to 3 billion warships and untold trillions of ground troops. And that's the current scout fleets we see. Can you imagine what a full Tyranid battle fleet is like? The ones supposedly on their way now? Necrons are bad news but I'd rather fight them then the Tyranids. Necrons eventually stop coming you hunt them down, kill them all, mission accomplished. But Tyranids just ing won't stop! And I have a feeling not one but several Tyranid Battle fleets are on their way. I can only imagine what that report from the Munitorum had in it as far as details are concerned...

Necrons and 'Nids are boring as races, the utter inevetiablity of there victory/dinner time, makes them, In my opinion, dull.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

C'tan don't eat souls. They eat life essence. People get that mixed up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    Dealing with the Tyranids is not a straightforward threat to deal with. The average Hive Fleet has on average 1.5 to 3 billion warships and untold trillions of ground troops. And that's the current scout fleets we see. Can you imagine what a full Tyranid battle fleet is like? The ones supposedly on their way now? Necrons are bad news but I'd rather fight them then the Tyranids. Necrons eventually stop coming you hunt them down, kill them all, mission accomplished. But Tyranids just ing won't stop! And I have a feeling not one but several Tyranid Battle fleets are on their way. I can only imagine what that report from the Munitorum had in it as far as details are concerned...
    I think you forgot about the Worldengine scale Necron apocalypse weapons that have yet to be unleashed.
    Art //

C'tan don't eat souls. They eat life essence. People get that mixed up sometimes.

I think you forgot about the Worldengine scale Necron apocalypse weapons that have yet to be unleashed.
    No I didn't and I admit Necron WMDs are terrifying to say the least except for people like me. I'm too mentally insane to feel fear but I still acknowledge the situation at hand... No my friend I didn't forget your toys but even with 1,000 World Engines your no swarm race. Bring enough men and daemons even the Necrons can be bested. But I highly doubt there are enough Daemons in the Warp to destroy the incoming Tyranid battle group plus the idiot bugs already here... At least I hope there is.... With my luck there probably isn't enough.

Fighting a enemy with overwhelming powerful weapons is much different from fighting a foe with inexhaustible numbers. Any Imperial Guard general that faced the Tyranids or the Lost and the Damned will attest to that. Every weapon has a weakness, some situation it can't handle, or limited ammo count. Something it's not good at. Even Necron tech isn't perfect though it is very very very powerful. But numbers are a strange thing. When your numbers are infinite it doesn't matter how you stack up on individual targets you still win. As one of my contacts said once "Just because you view him (Outlaw) as a young upstart means nothing. Numbers have a quality all of there own." Oh and he was so true...
    Last edited by Outlawstar15a2; January 07, 2011 at 01:33 PM.

The thing is the Necrons are unaffected by the shadow in the warp and their sheer speed will allow massed attacks on vital synapse nodes and there is little the nids can do to stop it. When fighting Necrons numbers don't win the day. It is sheer resilience. And as the Nids gain nothing from fighting them they will starve themselves.

And in terms of doomsday weapons: Aeonic Orb Vs. Norm Queen = One big dead bug.
    Art //

The thing is the Necrons are unaffected by the shadow in the warp and their sheer speed will allow massed attacks on vital synapse nodes and there is little the nids can do to stop it. When fighting Necrons numbers don't win the day. It is sheer resilience. And as the Nids gain nothing from fighting them they will starve themselves.

And in terms of doomsday weapons: Aeonic Orb Vs. Norm Queen = One big dead bug.
    I didn't even know the Norn Queen was considered a WMD... I always thought she was a Tyranid bug that couldn't keep her legs closed.

But in all seriousness, the Tyranids could always run to the younger races for food. And I'm sure the Hive Mind has enough sense to save the Necrons for last when it is at it's strongest... But this is a discussion on Necrons and Tyranids in relation to the threat they posed to all other races. Not each other. If I had to compare Necrons vs. Tyranids, fighting each other, for me there is no contest. Necrons win hands down. Especially when we she all the pretty weapons the Deceiver is stockpiling...

The Norm Queen is the synaptic control center of a Hive Fleet. Thats why at Tarsis Ultra, Uriel Ventris (The coolest Ultramarine) helped the deathwatch plant a virus inside the Norm Queen which caused the Hive Fleet to die.
    Art //

I didn't even know the Norn Queen was considered a WMD... I always thought she was a Tyranid bug that couldn't keep her legs closed.

But in all seriousness, the Tyranids could always run to the younger races for food. And I'm sure the Hive Mind has enough sense to save the Necrons for last when it is at it's strongest... But this is a discussion on Necrons and Tyranids in relation to the threat they posed to all other races. Not each other. If I had to compare Necrons vs. Tyranids, fighting each other, for me there is no contest. Necrons win hands down. Especially when we she all the pretty weapons the Deceiver is stockpiling...
    That's difficult.

The Tyranids are zeroing in on Terra. The closer they get there, the more Necrons they'll encounter because both the Deceiver and the Void Dragon are located within the Imperium and I doubt they'll let the Tyranids have their way.

That's difficult.

The Tyranids are zeroing in on Terra. The closer they get there, the more Necrons they'll encounter because both the Deceiver and the Void Dragon are located within the Imperium and I doubt they'll let the Tyranids have their way.
    I have no doubt the Necrons would win against the Tyranids... But I also think the Deceiver will need to pull out more of his toys if he is going to stop the Tyranid armada that is coming.

I have no doubt the Necrons would win against the Tyranids... But I also think the Deceiver will need to pull out more of his toys if he is going to stop the Tyranid armada that is coming.
    Technically speaking it's not that hard for him.

First off, Inquistior Kryptman came up with a plan that involved conducting exterminatus on the planet right before the Tyranids absorb it. This was effective in stopping or at least halting Hive Fleet Kraken.

The only problem of course was that the Imperium doesn't have a limitless supply of planets to do so.

For the Necrons though that's not an issue.

Plus even before the Tyranids engage or make planetfall the Necron fleet should be capable of conducting hit and run raids that'll decimate the Tyranid fleet. If the Tau are capable of doing it I don't see why the Necrons can't on an even bigger level.

Technically speaking it's not that hard for him.

First off, Inquistior Kryptman came up with a plan that involved conducting exterminatus on the planet right before the Tyranids absorb it. This was effective in stopping or at least halting Hive Fleet Kraken.

The only problem of course was that the Imperium doesn't have a limitless supply of planets to do so.

For the Necrons though that's not an issue.

Plus even before the Tyranids engage or make planetfall the Necron fleet should be capable of conducting hit and run raids that'll decimate the Tyranid fleet. If the Tau are capable of doing it I don't see why the Necrons can't on an even bigger level.
    Well I was looking at it from a strategic, galaxy wide perspective. Not a tactical perspective.

Strategically it's not gonna be that simple especially with Tyranid battle fleets incoming to reinforce their earlier scouting forces.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Again, we really have no clue how many tyranids there are, we can assuem they have already consumed the galaxy they are coming from, and we have no knowledge of what was in that galaxy, or if they had any picnics in previous galaxies. We don't know the extent of the entire Tyranid race. Their fleet will very likely blot out the sun, literally. A necron fleet can do hit and run, but like with every hit and run, they're going to take hits. THe Norn Queen can think and react as fast as the necrons can teleport in, so as soon as their ship is inside the fleet, expect untold..numbers (i'm not even going to say trillions, cause that to me doesnt seem enough) of Tyrand ships shooting/ jumping on it. THe numbers of the Tyranids are rediculous, insane. Either way, the Necrons and the Tyrands are going to screw the Galaxy up eventually, but I think the Tyranids may have the upper hand. I mean, we KNOW more about Necron history, then Tyranid history.
    Like I said, for all we know, they've destroyed races with Necron level technology. The necrons can't be the most powerful thing in the entire Universe.

I also wouldnt be surprised if the tyrands had planet sized monsters.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

for all we know, they've destroyed races with Necron level technology.
    For all we know they have not

The necrons can't be the most powerful thing in the entire Universe.
    Yes they can

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

what he says ^

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

neither side of the argument know enough about them to convincingly say "they're the threat/they're not the threat"

amuses me with some quotes throughout the HH novel series about the question of what the astartes do once the galaxy is conquered (part of the issue why the heresy came about).. "what place will the galaxy have for us when there is no more fighting?"... "blah blah blah .. unless the emperor foresees an endless future of conflict..which is pretty grim.." so on so forth.

yup..the emperor did/does foresee those things. ohhh well..

Only practical data I know of points to the Necrons winning. In one case they wipe the floor with the Nids on the other case the Nids divert from a Necron planet forcing them into hibernation.

All your dreams and supposed accomplishments are a big joke. All just one big laugh.

I think I remeber reading somewhere about a hive fleet avoidng a necron planet or whatever the necrons on said planet werent even active yet and the nids completely avoided it, whats up with that?
    I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. "But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don't even peek in there." I take key and go to room to sleep. Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red. Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. "By the way who is in that room?" She look at me and begin to tell story. There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red. I tell her I don't give a . Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast. Such is life in Moscow

Most Necron worlds are also dead worlds. Dead world = No biomass = Useless target to Nids

All your dreams and supposed accomplishments are a big joke. All just one big laugh.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast