Thread: Jerky animations?

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Jerky animations?

Has anyone noticed their unit's animations "Jerking" or "Stuttering"? My units always do this and lowering the graphical settings does nothing to help it, I'd just like to know if I'm alone on this or not.

I know the OP is kind of vague, I just can't think of any other way to describe it.

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Default Re: Jerky animations?

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Has anyone noticed their unit's animations "Jerking" or "Stuttering"? My units always do this and lowering the graphical settings does nothing to help it, I'd just like to know if I'm alone on this or not.

I know the OP is kind of vague, I just can't think of any other way to describe it.
    Yes - lemme guess, you have an ATI card?

Some of us have been trying to get to the root of the problem in the tech help areas here and in the official TW site - the biggest culprit seems to be Particle Effects, although in some cases AA can contribute. If you are experiencing stuttering, with inexplicably no fps loss (how that happens I don't know), turn down your particle effects to MEDIUM. You can get away with high particle effects, but everything else will have to be turned to near minimum.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Nanny de Bodemloze View Post
    Yes - lemme guess, you have an ATI card?

Some of us have been trying to get to the root of the problem in the tech help areas here and in the official TW site - the biggest culprit seems to be Particle Effects, although in some cases AA can contribute. If you are experiencing stuttering, with inexplicably no fps loss (how that happens I don't know), turn down your particle effects to MEDIUM. You can get away with high particle effects, but everything else will have to be turned to near minimum.
    Your guess would be correct, apparently ATI cards come with all sorts of problems.

Thanks for you help, I'll try lowering those particle effects.

I had this, i was using the 10.11 or so version of catalyst control center, went back to 10.5 and the problem went away. Pretty much everything after 10.3 or 10.4 should work well, as ati updated the drivers for empire and napoleon to allow AA and volumetric effects at the same time around that time, but at some point after 10.5 it seems they caused this suttering problem.