Thread: Unlimited AI-Funds?

Vangar's Avatar Tiro

Default Unlimited AI-Funds?

Hi, I recently started my first TROM2 2.0 campaign with Sweden and I noticed something weird:

I'm preparing for an assault on Copenhagen which is the last privince held by the Danes. Due to my growing army I'm making around 1500 gold a round which isn't that much, but enough to slowly raise one full-stack army. As I raise my troops I try my best to cripple Denmark where I can - their port is blocked, their ships sunk and a spy network has been established. Never the less Copenhagen just pumps out more and more units. By the time I managed to complete one full stack consisting mostly of basic line infantry, some hussars, jäger and two units grenadiers and some artillery they managed to raise two and a half full stacks of line inf, grenadiers, elite light infantry, dragoons, advanced artillery, mounted light infantry... while constantly building new structures (Barracks, foundry lvl 3 - do they even have the tech required for that?)

So my question is how is that possible? Do the AI nations just have unlimited funds and tech? I understand that a game must be challenging, but I feel like I'm playing against a cheater here

blbrotto's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Unlimited AI-Funds?

Hi. First of all, I would like to say that I'm really enjoying my campaing with TROM 2.0.
    Game Configs: BAI ------- Hard
    CAI ------- Hard
    Economy -- Normal
    Faction --- France

I mean, the BAI in land battles is performing incredible well! I hadn't a "melee blob" yet! (and the naval battles... O.O); the CAI is acting well too, it's doing naval invasions (I had 3 brits invasions within 1 ~ 60 turns...) armies well balanced, which the AI is putting in strategic places... but anyway, in the feedback topic I will post the entire feedback, with photos and, with luck, some videos!

Backing on topic, I agree completely with Junpei about AI funds.... playing on hard, and the AI is spending it's money without any control! I barely make 1.500$ a round, and I'm not complaining about that, I mean, I like the challenge to have to think before investing in something... but it seems that your efforts to attack AI's economy, for example, have really no effect (for example, when the brits invaded and attacked Caen, after the siege they already began to construct everything that was possible there, and this in a one-turn conquered province, next to Paris and Napoleon's Army!), so, it makes me think that the AI have a lot of money left.

I know that the AI needs some bonus help, but it seems that you fixed the BAI! If you don't pay attention during the battles, on your movements, the AI can really defeat you, with a good placed cavalry/infantry at your flank! xD And, because of the econonomical adjustments, if you get a defeat with a full stack army, it needs some time to refill the gaps, so you would need to plan very carefully what to do next (and this is one of the things that I most like on trom: you are always at the brink, if you comit a big strategic mistake, it's almost game over). Then I quote again the AI funds, it begins to get frustating that everytime you battle the AI and win (but at cost of considerably casualities, depending of the battle...), you will find that another one is coming (with a half stack at the reserve xD)!

So, at last, I think the AI could do well with a little less bonuses (I could play CAI on normal difficult too... but I don't know if it's affect the agressiveness of the AI; if it gets too passive), because the BAI behaviour is really improved (finally, the AI can bring some trouble upon you with a default formation, simple by coming in line and starting exchange fire) and because the player can't have much stacks (I have only 4 full stacks in my campaing, which only one it's an ellite one; the rest have a relatively vast amount of militia), at least during the initial stages of the game (well, I'm in turn 68).

Anyway, Mister Yarkis, it's a great work you done here!

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

IF you are playing TROM 2 for NTW and you have the 2.0 version of TROM2 then the CAI difficulties simply adjust the aggression level the AI factions have toward the player. There are also a few submod Yarkis provides to tailor the economy to make it easier or harder on the player as they like.

Cheers!

No, the AI has no unlimited funds. It usually has less expenses and therefore can field more troops, but it can happen that AI nations go bancrupt, if they have too much units and you block an important port. If you play Sweden Denmark gets some extra money boost, otherwise there is not much of a challenge conquering it. And usually Sweden is not in danger by other nations, so you can concentrate on taking Denmark out. If you have spy, sabotageing buildings can help. As WarnerVH said, if you like to even the odds a bit more I reciommend useing the economy submods. And thanks for the praise everyone

I like this mod more then EIC I must be crazy ,right?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Suvorov View Post
    I like this mod more then EIC I must be crazy ,right?
    Well, I wouldn't say that...

Groove74's Avatar Miles

Icon4 Re: Unlimited AI-Funds?

I am at a loss here!! After playing as England, Sweden,Denmark, Spain. After much reading and restarting, I think I might be missing something here no mattter what I try I seem to always be at a disadvantage. By the time I get one full stack , it seems the others all have 2 or more!!

I have tried all 3 Eco mods normal,easy and easyest. I t seems to me even on the lowest stetting it takes every thing I have just to fund one army?

What am I missing here?
    Monitor 23 in Widescreen HD Gateway 1680X1050
    OS Windows 7 64 bit.
    CPU AMD Phenom quad core 920 2.8 Ghz
    Graphics Radeon HD 5770 HD 1Gig..Ram HD
    Ram 4gig DDR2 1066 OCZ Fatality
    HDD 500Gig WD 7200RPM
    Mainboard Asus M3N78-VM

I just released a revised easier economy submod in the suggestion thread. It's savegame compatible and should help you somewhat. Please try it out. I can make more adjustments if neccessary.

TROM2 is meant to be difficult and the CAI needs to have more stacks then you, because the player can make much better use of his armies then the AI. The key is to concentrate your forces and move aggressively, not trying to defend everything (like the AI does or would do, if it had enough funds). The economic tools are trading with other nations, trade fleets, pirating, shifting ministers, building economic builings and roads, and adjusting the taxes. It is very important that the gdp growth in your provinces is positive, otherwise you loose money on the long run. I usualy lower taxes to achieve that and build roads and ports.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Junpei View Post
    As I raise my troops I try my best to cripple Denmark where I can - their port is blocked, their ships sunk and a spy network has been established. Never the less Copenhagen just pumps out more and more units. By the time I managed to complete one full stack consisting mostly of basic line infantry, some hussars, jäger and two units grenadiers and some artillery they managed to raise two and a half full stacks of line inf, grenadiers, elite light infantry, dragoons, advanced artillery, mounted light infantry... while constantly building new structures (Barracks, foundry lvl 3 - do they even have the tech required for that?)

So my question is how is that possible? Do the AI nations just have unlimited funds and tech? I understand that a game must be challenging, but I feel like I'm playing against a cheater here
    What you're describing here sounds a lot like my experience playing France. During an early game invasion of Austria, I'd created a spy network and it seemed as though full stack armies were being built and thrown at me in only one or two turns. I was consistently outnumbered by 1 to 2.5 or 1 to 3 despite taking two provinces.

On the other hand, I want to acknowledge Yarkis here, first for creating an elegant mod that just happens to have excellent AI, and also for creating a challenging game. Everything seems to hang by a thread! One very cool moment was when I absolutely needed my spy to sabotage the garrison in Vienna to win a critical battle outside the city walls. He failed of course. I will try the new submod.
    Last edited by Huberto; January 14, 2011 at 06:02 AM.

i am playing as the brits and am at feb 1815 and france is bankrupt, prussia rules the east and napoleon sits just outside paris with about 10000 men around him, i cant seem to dent his force! so shan

SackFulloApplez's Avatar Foederatus

I was wondering about this as well, when I was playing