Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knockdowns too frequent?

Default Knockdowns too frequent?

During melee infantry fighting, I noticed that units get knocked down too much. I think the frequency of knock downs need to be decreased. That's all.

I suspect that the low kill-ratios (not a bad thing) is over-emphasizing the frequency of knock-downs, but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pritzl
    I suspect that the low kill-ratios (not a bad thing) is over-emphasizing the frequency of knock-downs, but I may be wrong.
    Yea, it should be so that there is more armor and shield banging rather than knock down.

The penalty you pay for using leathality numbers.

History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

i need to clear this up please: where can i find those 'lethality numbers'? if you mean the last entry in the stat_pri/stat_sec lines, you're wrong. this value has no discernible effect in version 1.2.
    Last edited by swabian; January 14, 2006 at 04:46 PM.

That's not true actually, it just has no effect on missile weapons.

strangely, the original description says this would be the minimum time interval between the attacks. after i noticed that this number is comprehended by some in an other way i tested it and it had no effect, but i probably forgot to save my stat changes. i just tested it again and it is as you say. irritating, but good to know.

So knocking down is dependent on lethality numbers? One cannot decrease the amount of knockdowns and increase shield blocks/bashes?

Not as far as I know, maybe there's something that cna be done with animations.

It's not entirely dependent on leathality, but if you have succesful hits that don't kill they will often cause knockdowns.

as far as I tested and noticed it's the strenght of the hit
    can't be the interval between hits (think a little 0.1 seconds??? that's not possible even for machineguns)
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

minimum interval. MINIMUM. of course it came to my mind that this value would have almost no effect. read the vanilla description, the designation there is 'minimum time delay'. but it definately is the killing chance, as i have realised now. if teh target get's hit, which is influenced by the relation of attack and the opponents defense, the chance for the opponent to die is this value * 100 percent, i think.

the killing change would take in count all offensive skills and opponents defensive values I think
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

i think i doesn't. and what is wabbit stu?

stu prepared from rabbit meat of course
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

Its hardcoded. The knockdowns cannot be fixed, its just units DIED faster before so it didnt look like there were that many, but there were, its just most didnt survive the knockdown. lol Its better to have longer battles and a few extra knockdowns that Vanilla battles were its over before you can blink and move a unit to plug a hole.

All of this is newbie question stuff. ;-)

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

yeah, but what is stu actually? comparable to gyros?

and i agree that vanilla battles are a little bit to fast, but EB battles are too slow. i realize that you used this value as an additional balancing parameter which is a quite an effort to take.

a sort of food
    greasy and swimming in sauce
    lots of collesterol
    bad for hares and for yourself
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

EB battles will likely get a bit slower in a future build, but if you want faster battles knock yourself out, the stats are all there to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    EB battles will likely get a bit slower in a future build
    Ouch, I was just about to say how happy I was with the balance EB has struck so far. Battles are slow enough to allow you to react but fast enough to actually conclude in a reasonable amount of time. Here's to hoping you change your minds between now and then. :original:

It's peculiar that so many stated they found the combat to be fast, or over quickly. I found some of EB's battles to be the longest I experienced.

But mods are a working build, so surely it will improve, and adapt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast