Thread: Realistic Infantry range mod

lilbrit73's Avatar Libertus

Icon10 Realistic Infantry range mod

Raises the Regular infantry range to 150,lights to 175, and skirmishers to 200 paces away, as this is more is more realistic, then accuracy comes to play.
    Simply extract to your data folder,if that doesn't work place it on your desktop,drag to your directory and extract it from there.
    Activate with mod manager or write:mod "inf_range_mod.pack" in your user.script.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=INDIQ62R
    If you have any mod request or issues feel free to PM me.
    Truly yours,
    lilbrit73.

Default Re: Realistic Infantry range mod

thanks for the helpful thread man. Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by !1ALiluM View Post
    thanks for the helpful thread man. Good luck to you
    Thanks mate.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Nice mod, I directed a few gamers to you already.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Nice mod, I directed a few gamers to you already.
    Much appreciated mate, if you ever need any help, just PM me.

Laetus

good mod thanks very much !

GAIUS GERMANICUS CAESAR's Avatar Libertus

Where did you get the info for your mod? It's not that I don't believe you an ETW modder has come up with about the same numbers.Could you help me with some weapon stats sources please? It would be greatly appreciated. So, I can get the proper ranges other weapons in the game and others that might not be in the like Mortier and others like it were widespread in 1700 was a grenade launching Volley gun but it's more suited for ETW. I'm pretty sure that in Nappy's time they were no longer used much if at all.

I keep finding the same old stuff that backs the CA numbers (can't blame them for this inaccuracy) or I'm horrible researcher. I found one source a while back that went along with with your numbers but It was from Wikipedia I think and didn't cover much, not a good idea to single source from there.

Great work BTW

For you ETW fans check these out Here
    Last edited by GAIUS GERMANICUS CAESAR; January 26, 2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: edit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get a dog to eat a dog

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A smoothbore musket is essentially a shotgun, theres alot of inaccuracy mainly in the fact that the game really represents the firing of a single ball from each musket when in reality your looking at several balls and potentialy pellets or buck. George Washington believed in a combination so much that he made the standard cartridge issue for the continental army "buck and ball" consisting of 2 balls and buckshot. A musket just like a shotgun is unbelievably deadly at 40 yards or less (which the game woefuly does not represent, think of the conical firing arc of a shotgun multiply that times aa few hundred men standing in close rank firing in a unison volley = pretty much everything in 40 yards is dead) but the ammunition can travel and penetrate human bone and flesh to around 400 yards ( the balls not the buck ). With range it lost penetrating power so your looking at the ideal compromise between range and accuracy at around 160 yards max effective range.

Now once you start talking rifles which were few and far between particularly in the european theatre until the mid to late 19th century you get into good accuracy at 400 yards in the right hands and penetrating power out to 600-800 yards.

160 yards was still "in the manual" during the civil war and although in some respects it was still relevant the rifling of muskets combined with the advent of the expanding barrel gripping "minnie" ball made the penetration range good to around 1200 yards. Thats why while the fighting was still age of rifles close being behind the lines you could still get hit and killed from a stray shot.
    Last edited by Jam3; January 28, 2011 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam3 View Post
    A smoothbore musket is essentially a shotgun, theres alot of inaccuracy mainly in the fact that the game really represents the firing of a single ball from each musket when in reality your looking at several balls and potentialy pellets or buck. George Washington believed in a combination so much that he made the standard cartridge issue for the continental army "buck and ball" consisting of 2 balls and buckshot. A musket just like a shotgun is unbelievably deadly at 40 yards or less (which the game woefuly does not represent, think of the conical firing arc of a shotgun multiply that times aa few hundred men standing in close rank firing in a unison volley = pretty much everything in 40 yards is dead) but the ammunition can travel and penetrate human bone and flesh to around 400 yards ( the balls not the buck ). With range it lost penetrating power so your looking at the ideal compromise between range and accuracy at around 160 yards max effective range.

Now once you start talking rifles which were few and far between particularly in the european theatre until the mid to late 19th century you get into good accuracy at 400 yards in the right hands and penetrating power out to 600-800 yards.

160 yards was still "in the manual" during the civil war and although in some respects it was still relevant the rifling of muskets combined with the advent of the expanding barrel gripping "minnie" ball made the penetration range good to around 1200 yards. Thats why while the fighting was still age of rifles close being behind the lines you could still get hit and killed from a stray shot.
    That reminds me is there a mod for better musket/bayonet graphics?

Last edited by yazzazin; February 08, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

its there a mod this that shortens the infantry range?(no historical basis) just movie stuff

Hello, I love your mod but i think you have forgotten to change some cavalary that can shoot.

And another thing, coud you change the range of artillery to? And also maybe ships?

Edit: Nevermind, I have made my own mod
    Last edited by theodorsr; March 27, 2011 at 04:21 AM.
    Napoleon total war my mods

Sweden is underrestimated! Sweden is underrestimated!

Nothing changed I compared it with or without this mod but still the same I put mod "inf_range_mod.pack"; in the user script and put the file in data but no changed help?

bump