Thread: Steel, Faith, and Gunpowder - A Wissenland AAR

Blind88's Avatar Foederatus

Icon1 Steel, Faith, and Gunpowder - A Wissenland AAR

Greetings!

With the release of 1.4, I decided to start a new AAR just for fun, and as a tribute to the team. I have a few ideas in my mind to make it interesting...I hope you'll like it.

Blind

Default Re: Steel, Faith, and Gunpowder - A Wissenland AAR

Prologue

The Blood Keep campaign

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It worked… such a simple plan, and it worked. The general stood proud, and watched his men preparing for the battle. They were inexperienced –recruited for this campaign- but eager, and along with some companies from the garrison, they made a handy army. Looking at the army, he had no doubts. They will win, and those undead monsters will be crushed. And, the best: the Blood Keep will be taken, and the undead threat will be shorted out.
    It worked…
    That Keep had to be taken… but for years, all attempts failed, and the undead kept on poisoning the coutryside. Every siege was broken, every assault was repelled… thousands died for nothing through the years. The Keep was too strong, and with every failed attempt to take it, the garrison just grew stronger.
    But now, this was to change. The plan was so simple, that noone believed it could work.
    The campaign started a few weeks ago, and with Sigmar’s help, it will end in a few days. A small force had been sent to the hills, to get the attention of the garrison, and try to draw on as many of their forces, as possible. And it worked… with thousands of undead on their track, the soldiers pulled back, fighting constantly the monsters of the night… bats, wolves, and even far worse… but they managed to draw the undead army far away from the Keep; which was, a few days later, besieged with a small, but reliable army: not enough to take it, but enough to keep the remaining garrison inside… hopefully.
    And now, the reatreating group met with the main army, that was hiding in the woods, and villages in small groups… and waited for the undead to arrive.
    He was still smiling when his men finished the preparations: the halberdier companies made the first line, the musketeers the second. On the left flank the artillery took position: three batteries of the greatest cannons int he Old World, fresh from the foundry, with fresh crew from the Gunnery School. That was their first battle, but the general knew, that they are the finest gunners in the Empire.
    And then, just in time, the enemy arrived. The general smiled: let them come. Hordes of skeletons marched towards them.
    A minute later the artillery made their first shots. Even on the top of the hill, he felt the ground shook, and for a few seconds he became almost deaf. He imagined what the crew have felt… But those steel beast kept on spitting massive balls of destruction upon the enemy. Bones were pulverized, skulls broken, rusty armour crashed… The cannons made a destruction he did not see before. Perfect...

Now, the time has come for the handgunners to fire. Company after company, line after line fired. Volley after volley, until the whole battlefield was covered in thick, choking smoke.
    And then the two army clashed. He heard the sound of the raging fight, but he could not see it because of the fog. It was the time to wait. He heard the screams of the dying, the clash of weapons, the orders shouted by the captains. He would liked to fight too, and he knew that the Greatswords accompaniing him felt the same... but he must stay. If something goes wrong, I have to be here to make orders... Minutes, maybe hours had passed, and when the smoke dissolved, he saw that his army held the line. He smiled. Only small groups of undead left, but not for much. They were destroyed in a few minutes.

The first part of victory…the general smiled. Now, it’s time to make it complete.

A few days later...

…the remaining garrison retreated to the main square. Nothing could stop the artillery: the front walls and towers of the Keep were destroyed, and the army made their way in without serious fight.

In the square the vampires tried to make a stand, but failed. Weakened by daylight, outnumbered by far, they fell. The Blood Keep have been taken with minimal casulties.

It was a victory to be proud of.

Coming: Chapter I. - The Reikland Campaign

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

nice beginning ! and + rep
    For next chapters I'd suggest to set the video details higher (it's more epic )

Chapter I. - The Reikland Campaign

The march to the north

-What? -Count Eusebius shouted.
    -Grunburg was taken by the orcs… here’s the letter from the borderguards’ captain. –the messenger said.

Count Eusebius opened the letter, and started to read it with surprise and growing anger.

„Report to Count Eusebius, from captain Gunther, commander of the Northern Guard

My Lord, here’s the brief report of the past few weeks, and the details you’ve asked for: the greenskin horde entered Reikland’s territory and marched towards Grunburg unchallanged. The horde was made up from large numbers of orcs and goblins, black orcs and some tribes of savage orcs, boar riders, and many siege weapons. Also, there are reports of trolls and even giants. A few days later they managed to take the city which was inadequately guarded and poorly reinforced. The city was looted, and burned almost to the ground. After that, larger part of the horde marched to Altdorf’s direction, and a smaller force was departed to the south, towards our border, heading for Nuln, maybe. A small band stayed in Grunburg, to continue looting and destroying the coutryside. The force sent to north was defeated at the gates of Altdorf, but the Emperor’s forces suffered great casualties, and are unable to continue the fight, and retreated to Altdorf. The orcs are scattered now, but there are still thousands of them in the area. The Emperor’s army was almost destroyed, unable to challange them.

I was unable to gather information about our emperor, Karl Franz, and about the Reiksmarshall. It it said that the emperor stayed in Altdorf during the battle, and only an inexperienced general was in command. We know nothing about the Reiksmarshall or prince Rudolf.

We are awaiting your command, my Lord.”

The count’s face turned red and turned to his advisors and generals gathered in his hall.

-My good lords, bad news. Grunburg was taken by orcs. The Emperor’s army almost destroyed, no sign of the Emperor nor the marshall. A horde is heading towards us, at the moment we speak.

The count was raging in anger: What’s this? Orcs in the heart of the Empire? Defeated costly only at the gates of Altdorf? Karl Franz sitting in his hall when his people need him? And that famous Kurt? Hiding in his castle, I bet… How can an Emperor allow these things to happen? Maybe it was a bad choice to elect him… it will turn out shortly…
    -Well –he said- send a messenger to Wolfgang. Send him my gratitude for taking the Blood Keep, and any reinforcement we can mobilize. And a letter with further orders, that I’ll write immediately…

Wolfgang sighted. It was a sight of relief. He was happy that he could leave this place. The Blood Keep was inhabited by undead for too may years. It looked like a cemetary. No sign of life… but this will change. It will be a stronghold of Wissenland, guarding the mountain passes. The plans were made: the small garrison he’s going to leave here will take care of the castle, and help the settlers –arriving from the north, mostly from Reikland- make their living there… in a few years, the Blood Keep will be a famous stronghold, with rich lands around it, sounding the glory of Wissenland… and him. Wolfgang read the letter of the count once more:
    „To General Wolfgang, from Count Eusebius of Wissenland.

Wolfgang, I wish to express my gratitude on your victory. With the Blood Keep in our hands, the mountains will be safe from the undead threat. You are a hero of your people, and your deeds will not be forgotten.

Also, I have new orders for you: unite with the reinforcements I sent, march north, and face the greenskin horde heading for South. If you could manage, do this before they reach our lands, and prevent them from looting and harassing our people. If you succeed, continue your march into Reikland, and see what you can do. If possible, take back Grunburg, and make the greenskin threat gone. Try to co-operate with the Emperor’s forces, but remember: now you are a man of the Count of Wissenland. Anything you do, you do it for the Empire, Sigmar, and your count.

May Sigmar guard your steps, and lead you to victory!”

Wolfgang watched proudly his army leaving the Keep. Marching line after line, eager to face the enemy… with the reinforcements –a company of Gründel’s famous Defenders, Nuln pikemen, and a band of knights, from the Order of the Blazing Sun- he had no doubt in victory.

The fight for Grunburg

Only a few days later, the army of Wolfgang and the orc horde met near the border. Wolfgang commanded his army to a small hill, being sure that those orcs will attack. The first line was made up from halberdiers and on the left flank the Defenders, and in the center took position the pikemen company of Nuln. The second line was made up from the handgunners and cannons, able to shoot over the heads of the first line. The knights stayed back as reinforcements, if needed. Wolfgang was happy enough. The terrain was good for his army, his soldiers were eager to fight, and had some experience for now, the firepower of the handgunners and cannons may have had decided the battle, before it really started…

And he was right. Te orcs left their siege equipment back, and rushed at his army… but before they could even reach the lines, hundreds of them were killed by the handgunners and cannons. When they reached the imperial lines, they were scattered, and many of them wounded.

Even the mighty black orcs could not break into the tough formation of halberdiers. The assault of the boar riders was repelled by the pikemen, without suffering serious casualties, and the orc boss himself was killed.

The green tide was broken, and those mosters began to fall back. But the handgunners kept on firing, and shoot down every beast triing to get away. The rest was hunted down later by the knights.

Sigmar granted us an easy victory today… Almost too easy.

Wolfgang let his army rest for the night, and the next day continued his march to the north.

The Grunburg incident

When the scouts reported, that only a few hundred goblins left in the town, Wolfgang commanded an assault immediately. Those coward little creatures scattered almost in minutes, and tried to make their way out of the city, but the remaining citizens –returned when they heard about the army of Wissenland coming- hunted them, and took revenge for their city. In a few hours, Grunburg was returned to the Empire’s rule. Wolfgang sent his men to take the flags of Wissenland to the towers. Wolfgang stayed int he city for about a week, repairing the walls, helping the returned citizens rebuilding their homes. From the citizens helped him in taking the city, he formed a militia, wearing Wissenland’s colours.
    Few days after taking the city, a messenger arrived from Altdorf.
    -My Lord –he said to Wolfgang- I bring word from the Emperor, Karl Franz. He sends his gratitude for your victories, and wishes you to inform that he’s grateful for Wissenland, taking Grunburg back from the greenskins. Also, he wishes to inform you, that now you can leave the city and let the Burgmeister –nominated by Him- take over the control of Grunburg.
    Wolfgang smiled at him – it was a dangerous smile, now his enemies should have knew it well.
    -I, Wolfgang, first general of the County of Wissenland, subject to Count Eusebius of Wissenland and ruler of Nuln, am the new master of this city, nominated by the count, and elected by the people of Grunburg. Wissenland ownes this city by the divine right of conquest, and sanctified by the people of this land. –Wolfgang was still smiling while he looked deep in the eye of the suprised messenger- And tell his majesty, please, that I’m happy that I could serve the Empire, and I’m honoured by his gratitudes.
    The messenger tried to catch his breathe:
    -My Lord, the Emperor hopes, you return the city to him, and there will be no need of forcing the law on you by arms…
    Wolfgang stopped smiling, and whispered in the ear of the messenger:
    -This land is now rightfully a province of Wissenland, and if the Emperor thinks that’s not true, and tries to take it back by force, we’ll see it… but know, that in days every Elector and all the great houses will know about it. And I doubt that they would likely see such a harsh breaking of ancient laws.
    The messenger’s face turned pale.
    -Aham… well…I see we misunderstood each other… I wished to informe you, that his Majesty, Karl Franz, donates the city of Grunburg, and the sorrounding province to the Province of Wissenland, expressing his gratitude this way…
    -Well then. –Wolfgang smiled- I send my regards to his Majesty. Now go.

Few weeks have passed, and Count Eusebius received a letter:

„From Wolfgang, first general, ruler of Grunburg, to Count Eusebius of Wissenland and Nuln.
    My lord, I’m happy to inform you, that I’ve managed to clear Reikland entirely from greenskins, and forced the beastmen back to the deepest forest.
    After taking Grunburg, I sent out a patrol to get some supply and scout the area. The patrol was almost totally destroyed by a beastmen raid. Later, I found out, that they made a large camp to the west, and they’ve taken Bögenhafen. I led the army against the beasts and in three great battles I’ve defeated them. I’ve captured Bögenhafen and continued to push them out of Reikland. In an encounter I’ve suffered heavy wounds on my head and chest, so the siege of Senden was led by a captain, I comissioned. The siege was succeeded, and I’m writing this letter in the townhall of the city. More than half of the army sent to the campaign survived, and I’ve managed to form some troops at the captured cities.
    The army is ready to move, I’m awaiting orders.
    …”

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Wow! This is a great story! Keep it up! +rep

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

great!

cisse's Avatar Civis

Very nice, looking forward to more.

Thank you for your kindness, I'm glad you enjoy it! I enjoy it also, great fun between the exams...
    By the way, I've encountered a CTD at turn 70, and I was unable to get over it yet... at the end, I send attached my log and a savegame, so if anyone could help, that would be appreciated (standard 1.4 with translation) Anyway, I'm going to do the chapters up to that point, so some more are to come.
    Sons of Sigmar! Soldiers of the Empire! Take up the holy arms, have faith both in yourself and in Sigmar, and destroy that damned CTD!

Chapter II. – The crusade

Pulling the strings

-Send him in! –the count said, and the audition started. More than a dozen messenger was waiting outside the hall, from the entire Empire, to speak with the count, and tell him the news. Merchants, spies, emissaries, priests, soldiers… On the Count’s right stood his son, prince Hans, on his left, some nobles and advisors.
    The door of the hall opened, and the first men came in. He was a warrior priest of Sigmar, tall, bald, wearing his armour and carriing his blessed, mighty warhammer. The count allowed the priests of Sigmar to carry arms in his hall, everyone else had to give them to the guards.
    -My Lord, I bring world from his highness, the Grand Theogonist Wolkmar. – the priest said and touched his medal, shaped like a twin tailed comet.
    -Tell us then, what can we do for him, and if we’re able to help, we’ll waste no time. –the count replied.
    -He decided that, in the name of Sigmar, the county of Sylvania must be returned to the Empire, and those heretic Carnsteins must be destroyed, once and for all. For too long have those demons spawned and poisioned the body of our holy Empire. Therefore his highness askes every count to send an army into Sylvania, and by united force, take Drakenhof, and purge the land.

The count was not suprised. In the past few months, the undead caused many problems, mostly for Stirland and Averland, that it can’t be unseen. Sylvania began to gain strenght, and the Carsteins were prepairing for something. Something must be done, that was obvious. Also that was obvious, that the conquered territories will be given to the Emperor by the Theogonist…
    -His highness is right, we, sons of Sigmar shall unite, and destroy this threat by divine right. Tell his highness, that I ordered my general Wolfgang back from Senden to Nuln, and when he arrives, he’s army will be reinforced and he’ll join this holy enterprise.
    The priest bowed his head.
    -Sigmar may bless you and your people, good lord! Farewell.
    After he left, his son said:
    -Father, why? Everyone knows that this is a bloody work! If we can even take Drakenhof, it will cost too much… the Carsteins can not be defeated so easy…
    The cout smiled.
    -You’re too young, but nevermind… it’s always good to learn. Well, let’s see… when Wolfgang arrives, I’ll tell him, to lead the army west… but don’t hurry. Maybe Drakenhof will be taken before he arrives… who cares? Those lands are dead. But, as I heard, there are a lot of cities taken by beastmen and other forces of chaos. Well, we will take those cities, purge them as his highness would say, and the Theogonist could not refuse granting them to his holy soldiers, who was so eager and brave in this war against heresy…
    The prince nodded.
    -Well then, send in the next.
    A short man came in, wearing dark clothes and a hood. In a blink of an eye, everyone knew that he was a member of the infamuos guild of assasins… he was not much to look at, but they knew well that these assasins are much more dangerous than they seemed. Some said they could kill even with a look. The guards stepped closer to their count.
    -My master informs you: he is ready to accept your proposal and make a contract. You’ll hear about him.

That was all. The count nodded, and the short man left. The count was smiling, turned to his son, and said:
    -Remember my son: sometimes one single dagger is more effective than a thousand swords. We’ll speak about that man later, but now, send in the next.
    The next one was a captain of one of the City Guard’s companies. The count remembered to have seen him a few times. He greeted him, and let him speak.
    -My Lord, I’ve got some news you may be interested in. Yesterday evening I’ve met a Tilean man, while I was… well, I was patrolling the outskirts. So, I’ve found out he’s the member of a mercenary band of a certain captain, called Fernando Pirazzo. So, this man said, that they don’t have a master now, so they are ready to make a contract with you…
    -The Lost Legion of Pirazzo… I’ve heard about them. Pirazzo is said to be a tough man, and his company is well equipped, experienced and well trained in the use of the pike and the crossbow. Well, I think we could use them. Gather them, send Pirazzo 5000 gold, and tell him to report to me as soon as he can.
    -I’ll do, my Lord.

After him came in a man wearing the uniform of the Gunnery School.
    -My Lord, I’m happy to inform you, that we managed to finish the production of the repeating handguns you’ve ordered. We also gathered the best shooters of the School, and armed them. Now, we made a company of the finest shooters, all armed with Von Meinkopt's Whirling Cavalcade of Death. They are now positioned in Nuln, and are awaiting orders.

-Great! Give my best regards to the master engineers of the School. Next…

The Holy Soldiers

The summer fairground had just began, and the roads were full of caravans, merchants and traders bringing their goods to the markets. The road, heading from Nuln to Averheim was especially crowded with masses of people travelling to Averheim, to one of the biggest fair in the Empire. That’s why Wolfgang choose this way. He planned to buy supplies for his army in the city, and march towards Drakenhof. But the main reason was much more cunning… the Count told him not to hurry… and on this road hurry was impossible. Instead, he sent messengers back and forth the road, to tell everyone, Wolfgang from Wissenland’s army marches to Averheim under the sacred banner of Sigmar, the Emperor, and the Grand Theogonist. And under these banner everyone is welcomed and granted help and protection, if needed.
    And the protection was needed. Small bands of rebels, greenskins and undead was constantly harassing the routes. So Wolfgang’s army soon was dwarfed by the masses of villagers and merchants accompaniing it. He ordered his men to sew twin tailed comets and hammers to their clothes and banners, and now, as holy soldiers, they’ve ended up guarding the poor children of Sigmar.
    And it worked. When the army reached Averheim, Wolfgang was brought word, that Drakenhof was taken… and also, that the Count sent that Tilean, Pirazzo, in command of a mercenary army, north to Averheim, to help fighting Stirland and Averland the beastmen. So Wolfgang decided to turn north, and take Pötting from those damned beasts, while the Tilean deals with their camp souther… he hated those abominations since he was young, but the hatred, he felt for them since he was wounded could not be described. Just a week before Senden was taken, in a battle, a huge bestigor crushed his armour and helmet with it’s axe. He barely survived the wound, and it left a terrible scar along his face and chest. He knew that everyone call him the Scarred… and he was proud of that scar, and wore that name proudly too.
    So he led his army north, destroying every beastmen band and army they’ve encountered. Meanwhile Pirazzo managed to take the beastmen camp, and was ordered to march to Welleborn, to deal with a rebellion.
    Pötting was taken too in days, and the countryside was silent, and safe. And then, bad news arrived…

Coming: Chapter III. - Suffer not the heretic to live