Thread: Polish Units

Icon14 Polish Units

Hi, still really enjoying the mod, however playing as France I've noticed a strange absence in Polish units. One of my biggest gripes in vanilla campaign was that you couldn't recruit Poles until you took Poland, despite the fact that historically tens of thousands of Poles emigrated from their occupied homelands to Italy and France to serve the French Republic/Empire, who they saw as their allies and best chance of liberation from Prussia, Austria and Russia. Polish units fought for France in virtually every conflict in this period from 1790's right up to Liepzig (not sure if any were at Waterloo) and served with distinction almost without exception. For more info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_...oleonic_period)

It would be awesome if in next patch/edition you could make some Polish units available in maybe Paris and Turin from the start, it would be very historically accurate. I've noticed you've made Irish units and Swiss units available from the start which is nice and accurate too, just think the Poles are so important they can't be ignored.

Other than that great work, love having the Mameluks from the start btw very cool unit! Kudos for that
    "There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience"

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Default Re: Polish Units

Totally agree

Ok, ok... Here is a minimod for you. It adds the 1st Polish Legion as a buildable line infantry unit to Torino (2 regiments maximum). Just drop all the files in the data directory and enable the minimod with the mod manager or the script. The load order is not important. Enjoy!

Man, I hope the first Polish Legion has some better stats than other foreign units that can be recruited by the French. Because to be honest, I find it a little bit disturbing (sorry to say so ) that all the 'foreign' French units in the mod have the same stats. So it does not really matter whether you recruit (as France) German line infantry or Italian line infantry of Légion Etranger... And probably Polish legions will have the same stats? They were really good, you know! If their stats are the same, they should be changed. Can you explain me briefly how I can do that? And maybe suggestion for the next version if you have time, do a bit research on these foreign units and check their strengths and weaknesses and change their stats. Just a suggestion, because now, with everyone having the same statistics, it doesn't really matter which foreign line infantry you recruit. And that's a pity because it would be very interesting when one must look into them and make up his mind which units to recruit and to what purpose.

Edit: I installed the files you uploaded, Yarkis. Much obliged! It works and the Polish Legion has better stats than other regular foreign line infantry. Thanks! Still, if you could tell me how to change unit stats in the mod...

Edit: Still, don't want to nag! I appreciate what you did, adding the Legion to the game in Torino. But Napoleon had a whole Polish army in 1799 already. Actually, in 1799 they were already fighting quite some time. So just the 1st Polish Legion won't do, mate! :d :d :d :d
    Last edited by KamilW; January 14, 2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Played it now and checked it

Hey Yarkis those are really cool man thanks for the effort in making these!
    "There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience"

Tokugawa Ieyasu

Hi! I'm looking for a mod to download for Napoleon. I have already played a version (don't remember which, it was quite a long time ago) of TROM II and is was awesome. Only the victory conditions really sucked and didn't make sense. And in my opinion the submod you guys made, with new victory conditions doesn't make sense either. That was some feedback . But before I do download it, I would like to know if there are other Polish units in it than the ones you posted above, and if so, which ones etc. I remember there were only Polish line infantry, one version with black/yellow uniforms and other with black/red uniforms. And then there were only the standard Polish lancers. That's all. And it's not enough. There were much more. Just one example to prove my right: Chevaux-legers.

The French should be able to recruit Polish units in Paris and somewhere in Northern Italy because that is historical. Do the lancers and other Polish units have historically correct uniforms or those from vanilla? How many types of Polish lancers and other Polish cavalry are there in the game? Which other Polish units are available for the French? Is there a real Vistula Legion for example? Or Dabrowski's Legion? Is Poniatowski in the game as a character (general) at some point? Napoleon had many many Poles in his armies, even at the beginning. That is something which was not correctly represented in the version of TROM II I played.

Can you please provide me with an answer for ALL these questions, please? And forgive my capital font, I'm only trying to be clear so that I don't have to post it all over again because someone has omitted a few questions. (Just saying because I've experienced this already too many times).

i can answer some of ur questions:

as above the french can recruit 2xunits of polish inf in torino...and no other polish units until the capture of warsaw...then they get 4xunits of polish inf, 1xunit of polish guard lancers, 2xunits of polish lancers, 2xunits of polish 6lbs....

the units are roughly as good as the regular french equivalent and the guard lancers are a nice addition to the imperial guard...

no idea on the uniforms as im not that educated on period uniforms as many in this forum seem to be

oh and about the general...yes he is in the game and is quite good but he is just one of the generals u can recruit and u have little control of when he comes (i actually seem to remember that the generals appear in some sort of order so u can get him just is a little deep in the general pool)...no other polish units that i have seen thus far
    Last edited by gogopher; June 17, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

quote: 'no units until the capture of Warsaw'

Well, that's what I'm talking about. That is not historically accurate. Another thing, Polish lancers had no, I repeat, no competition whatsoever. They were the best. I dare even say Polish cavalry were the best it the time. No Austrian, Prussian, French, English or Dutch or Swedish or Spanish or Turkish or Russian cavalry was better (except of course Polish units serving in the Austrian, Prussian or Russian army). Proof enough if you look into history. So they should have much better stats than for example French lancers. And for the record? I'm not sure but weren't Polish lancers the only lancers in Napoleon's armies?

And Polish units should be, besides Torino, recruitable in Paris as well, from the beginning. Can someone change that? Or how do you change it so I can do it myself. I would like to make Polish units recruitable in Paris, change their stats and put a recruitment limit on them.

Quote Originally Posted by KamilW View Post
    quote: 'no units until the capture of Warsaw'

Well, that's what I'm talking about. That is not historically accurate. Another thing, Polish lancers had no, I repeat, no competition whatsoever. They were the best. I dare even say Polish cavalry were the best it the time. No Austrian, Prussian, French, English or Dutch or Swedish or Spanish or Turkish or Russian cavalry was better (except of course Polish units serving in the Austrian, Prussian or Russian army). Proof enough if you look into history. So they should have much better stats than for example French lancers. And for the record? I'm not sure but weren't Polish lancers the only lancers in Napoleon's armies?

And Polish units should be, besides Torino, recruitable in Paris as well, from the beginning. Can someone change that? Or how do you change it so I can do it myself. I would like to make Polish units recruitable in Paris, change their stats and put a recruitment limit on them.
    The Polish line cavalry were good but I think that the BEST line cavalry was acknowledged to be the Saxons (in total contrast to their infantry) or the cavalry from Hessen-Darmstadt.

As regard French line lancers, regiments 1-6 were French whereas 7-9 were Polish.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

The French lancers wore a uniform cut in the dragoon style with the combed helmet of the Carabiniers.

Scroll down the page a fair way:

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/web2.a..._Napoleon.html

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    Ok, ok... Here is a minimod for you. It adds the 1st Polish Legion as a buildable line infantry unit to Torino (2 regiments maximum). Just drop all the files in the data directory and enable the minimod with the mod manager or the script. The load order is not important. Enjoy!
    Hi, I have a question about this minimod. Has it already been incorporated into TROM2 2.3.1? I ask because I have 2.3.1 installed (and very nice it is too - thanks!) but when I copy the "trom2_text.pack" from the Polish minimod above it is overwriting a more recent file (12th Jan 2011 over 7th March 2011) and I don't want to screw stuff up.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Yes, it's integrated.