Thread: Other nations battle formations

Default Other nations battle formations

We all know how the Romans basically concept of there set up was before battle. Though im not a history wiz by any means im probably a little off in my knowledge of even that.

But how does the other nations set up while marching toward the enemy?? I know nothing of the Umbrians or the Saminites etc.

IT would be cool to get as much info on that as possible in my opinion even though I understand it is in no way a priority over finding the few small imperfections there is on this mod and tring to make it as good as
    it can possibly be.

Btw it seams there is a lot of momentum to do that on hear I believe Sig set that pace with being so patient with getting so much more dun than when most other mods are released.At least that I know of.

Default Re: Other nations battle formations

Well from what i've heard, read and studied the Romans used Hoplite style army before using the Camillan Maniple wich was sort of adopted from the Samnites when Romans fough the 3 Samnite Wars against them.

I knew they used hoplite warfare before the Camilian reforms to but did not know they adopted the Maniple from the Samnites interesting.

So the Samnites probably form up similar to the Romans.

Well it was mainly because the Samnites used the terrain to their advantage wich was mountainous and traditional hoplite warfare wouldn't work against them so they used their own weapons against them but i think it is only just similar to their style of warfare not the exact same.

And the Samnites will probably not be like a clone of Roma but they might be similar after the Camillan Reforms (if included) occur.

Ok cool thanks!

Opifex

In our mod Samnites will be distinguished from the Romans in that they'll be ligher armed, but all will have very high stamina, endurance, and hiding capabilities -- useful for ambushes and such.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Pity we cannot setup a roman army in their checker-board formation and save it!

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Opifex

Sure we can, the descr_formations.txt file can take care of that.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

PlayerOne's Avatar Senator

Unfortunately i see no mod so far that has SUCCESSFULLY found a way to add multiple formations. So its just another thing that needs time to test and fix.

Sig you're a God.

And it's way too bad that history doesn't know much about Rome's early years.
    Last edited by Rtw; January 05, 2011 at 01:46 AM.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Player 1 View Post
    Unfortunately i see no mod so far that has SUCCESSFULLY found a way to add multiple formations. So its just another thing that needs time to test and fix.
    AI formations of AI's modding are just like custom settlements of World Modding ... seemingly doable but with inherent problems and limitations. They are probably last on the list of improvements/changes to be made, simply because the perceived cost/effort ratio is lower than that of any other modding alternatives.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my hopes too high in terms of setting faction-specific custom formations which actually work and give an edge to AI opponents ... and by formations I don't just mean the starting army deployment, but also 'formation behaviour' of that army.

Notice how many Renaissance-esque M2TW mods are out there but none of them even touches the formations to actually make 'Pike & Musket' AI formations work ... not to mention how abysmal AI in such mods is, thanks to the 'weird' mod design without appropriate AI changes. Hell, not like they even worked in ETW ... *sigh*.
    Last edited by Achilla; January 07, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

PlayerOne's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Notice how many Renaissance-esque M2TW mods are out there but none of them even touches the formations to actually make 'Pike & Musket' AI formations work ... not to mention how abysmal AI in such mods is, thanks to the 'weird' mod design without appropriate AI changes. Hell, not like they even worked in ETW ... *sigh*.
    I have indeed noticed this. M2TW medieval era mods seem to be able to get away with it, but unfortunately for mods of PI timeframe, formations seem to be more noticeable especially the roman checkerboard and phalanx formation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't hold my hopes too high in terms of setting faction-specific custom formations which actually work and give an edge to AI opponents ... and my formations I don't just mean the starting army deployment, but also 'formation behaviour' of that army.
    I have tried but to no avail to add mutiple formations succesfully, the main problem i believe is where AI decides on which to use. The name of which i have found is set in the config_ai_battle. And only one formation is allowed.i find it suprising why it was taken out of M2TW, a good part of battles yet rather simple.

But as you say is the amount of work needed to access multiple formations worth it.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

The problem with formations modding.

In RTW, we do not have access to the AI- therefore we cannot see the contexts used in it.
    In Med2 there are ways to use different formations. but currently you can use only 1 for any one type of action. Which is useless.

Basically, CA removed one of the most tactically important features of a game? So we have no idea if even it could work, after enormous effort. Yes, it seems they pretty much left it broken too in later releases CA Games, that DO NOT have AI access...HMMMM guess they didn't want a critic like me snooping around and calling their bluffs about "NEW ADVANCED AI's"
    Last edited by xeryx; January 08, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Well ask for CA for their engine and AI license lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtw View Post
    Well ask for CA for their engine and AI license lol.
    If my oil shares come off and the government doesn't steal most of my illgotten gains, then i might put an offer for the source code for M2TW .. what ya recon it's worth?

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

No idea, i'm no expert in calculating how much CA (the plaything of the SEGA monster) will want for teh source code, but it's probably gonna be more than your monthly earnings...

Quote Originally Posted by Rtw View Post
    No idea, i'm no expert in calculating how much CA (the plaything of the SEGA monster) will want for teh source code, but it's probably gonna be more than your monthly earnings...
    great if CA / SEGA would be willing to sell, for a reasonable price, the M2TW source code etc but i'm afraid that's only dreaming. M2TW still craps on later engines in regards to seiges etc

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Yeah guess we'll need to wait for Rome 2 and while waiting play the awesome mod called Paeninsula Italica!