Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Generals NEED to be toned down.

Default Re: Generals NEED to be toned down.

Generals as HA seem the best answer if generals are given missiles but then that is just weird for some factions. As Lithuanian HA prove even 1 missile attack can still be deadly and if given missiles and still decent armor and melee players would likely abuse generals more than they do already.

One picture that comes to mind with a horsearcher general:
    Imagine an AI army with a HA general and only footsoldiers for the rest of the AI contingent and now give the player a few units of fast cavalry and a few crappy foot units.
    Pretty sure I'd win that one easily by seperating the general from his unit and cornering him as his troops will be running after him exhausting themselves. Maybe I'm wrong...
    Anyone up for tests?

Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    On picture that comes to mind with a horsearcher general:
    Imagine an AI army with a HA general and only footsoldiers for the rest of the AI contingent and now give the player a few units of fast cavalry and a few crappy foot units.
    Pretty sure I'd win that one easily by seperating the general from his unit and cornering him as his troops will be running after him exhausting themselves. Maybe I'm wrong...
    Anyone up for tests?
    I agree with you... I'm more for testing just very high armor general with low melee attack and lower charge. Not that 12-14 you see now. More like 6 of medium cavalry. It's too bad in some ways that CA changed how xp works from RTW though getting +1 per level is not good, having it affect more than just melee stat might have been useful.

I am finding this quite annoying now as well. Can anyone point me to the correct section in export_descr_unit.txt to change the general's details?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

ctrl+f general

Liandro's Avatar Miles

The only real thing that annoys me is how my General bodyguard despite either being upgraded or having more Bodyguard troops they still lose to the A.I. General, I usually just avoid them in battle unless I have a horse archer unit or javelins, sending footmen or anything other than ranged is just crazy. They just get wacked.

I could see general's retinues being dominant especially very early, when the arms and armor the general would be able to afford would be much higher quality than what a peasant soldier could. Realistically, peasant spearmen would break very quickly under a cavalry charge, and would have a very hard time penetrating armor. But later, once you get professional armies and higher quality weapons, they would be easier to kill.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Liandro View Post
    The only real thing that annoys me is how my General bodyguard despite either being upgraded or having more Bodyguard troops they still lose to the A.I. General, I usually just avoid them in battle unless I have a horse archer unit or javelins, sending footmen or anything other than ranged is just crazy. They just get wacked.
    AI generals get big hitpoint bonuses.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345