Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial Interpretation

Default Initial Interpretation

This is my criticism. I recognize this is a BETA and not complete. I will not be issuing praise. I love the mod and all those like it. This should not be seen as constructive, but highly critical. I also realize that most these issues I will raise are the result of this mod not being finished yet.

- Cities lack an initial garrison which throws many of them into revolt quite quickly.
    - Factions lack significant armies initially allowing players to steamroll through them. Also, rebels do not even have armies.
    - Units lack variety
    - Many units seem to have too similar of purpose
    - Many units have too similar of appearance (most roman troops look identical)
    - AI still does not seem able to utilize land invasions
    - Buildings are not extensive. Seems less than vanilla. More buildings are needed to create more depth
    - Apparrant lack of elite units
    - Campaign map itself is too barren. Being large is awesome but stuff needs to fill it. Often there is wide open spaces, especially in northern Italy and Sicily. Perhaps adding small 'towns' and 'villages' (not real settlements but just things to put on the map) would help, and more of those awesome forts.
    - Farm upgrades are not visible on map (the land stays the same in appearance, just a heads up)
    - Finally, the graphics of the units fail to compare with those developed for TATW, EBII or even RSII. This is only a superficial problem, but I must recognize this.

For a Beta the mod is incredibly stable and well done. UI is quite nice and as far as total conversions go this is in the top ranks. Very nice job (I lied about not giving praise).
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/b2141296/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Opifex

Default Re: Initial Interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by werawulf View Post
    I recognize this is a BETA
    But I'm going to nitpick as much as possible on everything that I can.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

its all about love dude. I wouldn't nitpick if i didn't love it.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by werawulf View Post
    its all about love dude. I wouldn't nitpick if i didn't love it.
    Really? Strange logic.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

To the uneducated mind yes. The logic is really quite simple; If I didn't like the mod I would not play it, If I didn't love the mod I wouldn't waste my time criticizing it, because I just wouldn't care.

Opifex

Fair enough.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

werawulf, you can always do some fixing yourself, if Sig allows?

Sig, The units, animations are really first class - Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y! They are so good i'm willing to say they are the best of ANY TW mod! Not only that but they outshine any faults this mod might have.

The battles are excellent and very realistic. a few things need fixing but they are only minor - banners, throwing pila etc.

On the strategic side though the game can become a tad boring so i was hoping I could do some alterations, and create a submod ?? if you allow? i was thinking of going back to around 600-500BCE and include all the social changes that happened around then.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    werawulf, you can always do some fixing yourself, if Sig allows?

Sig, The units, animations are really first class - Q.U.A.L.I.T.Y! They are so good i'm willing to say they are the best of ANY TW mod! Not only that but they outshine any faults this mod might have.

The battles are excellent and very realistic. a few things need fixing but they are only minor - banners, throwing pila etc.

On the strategic side though the game can become a tad boring so i was hoping I could do some alterations, and create a submod ?? if you allow? i was thinking of going back to around 600-500BCE and include all the social changes that happened around then.

R
    I'm afraid no kind of splintering aims or timeframes will be allowed at the moment, but you're more than willing to work on the gameplay elements I've got planned, if you wish.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

No garrisons?

How many settlements are there?
    Signifier one, do you have the coordinates of the settlements so we can rapidly create generic armies?

If you don't, when I return from holidays I'll figure them out myself and send them to you to help you with this. It will be 10 days though.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    I'm afraid no kind of splintering aims or timeframes will be allowed at the moment, but you're more than willing to work on the gameplay elements I've got planned, if you wish.
    no prob, await your ideas on strategic changes for this period and i'll see what I can do.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Opifex

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    No garrisons?

How many settlements are there?
    Signifier one, do you have the coordinates of the settlements so we can rapidly create generic armies?

If you don't, when I return from holidays I'll figure them out myself and send them to you to help you with this. It will be 10 days though.
    I'm working on it as we speak.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Hmmm I think the AOR of the factions plays a way too important role, because I find myself not being able to recruit 'faction soldiers' in almost none of the outlying settlements surrounding a faction.

Opifex

It depends on which faction. Boii are definitely not able to recruit boii soldiers outside of their native ancestral lands, although they can recruit the native gauls of those lands instead.
    Last edited by SigniferOne; January 02, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Also many units have different names but have the same role and have the same stats.... doesn't make much sense

I posted one thread that about a subject that adds a lot to strategy in my opinion.
    Its a sub-mod used in DLV.

So this thread was meant for some hardcore criticism. This mod is BETA and not complete and nearly every criticism I had was do to the mod still being Beta. Why would I or anyone work on a submod for a mod that isn't even finished yet? Though personally I do think that the mountains could all be a bit taller, that I can do.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Galandor View Post
    Also many units have different names but have the same role and have the same stats.... doesn't make much sense
    Actually... why not? Different names same stats = different names, same training, weapons, armor. Quite like real armies.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

nlovertoom's Avatar Tiro

LOVE this mod so far. I didn't expect it to be perfect. I am just glad Sig gave us something to play. My only wish is for larger, more diverse units.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

remember it's a beta.. many things arent included yet in the package

personally I like the unit size it cuts down on pathfinding errors you usually hear about with huge unit sizes. I agree the larger the unit the better it looks but I like how well its finctioning right now.

just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast