Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before posting: How to fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Werebear's Avatar For Mother Russia

Default Before posting: How to fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Tnx to Germanicu5 copy from TATW topic http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=360880

~Slightly modified to make the instructions pertain to Call of Warhammer
    -The Holy Pilgrim

I can recommend following actions as steps that can directly influence your game's stability, they won't always work, but are worth trying:

0) Absolutely necessary - run the game as administrator or you'll experience fatal graphics errors, CTDs and other issues (particularly on Win7 and Vista).
    Short How-to on fixing this:

How set your mod to run as the administrator

1) Right-click on the CoW shortcut

2) Click on "Advanced..."

3) Check the "Run as Administrator

1) delete all map.rwm files from data\world\maps\ - do that each time after updating mod files
    2) delete strings.bin files from data\text\ folder - rarely necessary
    3) disable file cache - fixes old savegames
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Disabling file cache is done via mod's .cfg file (warhammer.cfg), relevant section needs to contain the line:
    [io]
    file_first = true
    disable_file_cache = true

It's vital if you play a mod that's frequently updated, in many cases you wouldn't be able to continue your previously saved campaign with cache enabled - my recent research shows that the game will allow you to play on in "compatibility mode" when cache is disabled, whereas normally some battles wouldn't load. And there might be more to it.

A known symptom that could indicate disabling file cache would help is a CTD preceded by random texture errors found in game's log, directly before its end.

To make sure your error log contains enough data Warhammer.cfg file needs to be edited (extended logging courtesy of wilddog and Augustus Lucifer):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    ;level = * error
    ------------------------------------
    this version for maximum data:

[ai]
    ltgd_logging = true

[log]
    to=logs/auh.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    file = game.script.* logs/pkh.script2.log.txt
    file = game.script* logs/pkh.script.log.txt
    file = game.script logs/pkh.scriptoutput.log.txt
    file = ai.ltgd logs/pkh.ai.log.txt

Detailed research here.

Additional common CTD solutions:
    4) disable the advisor - crucial to maintain battle stability
    5) turn UAC (User Account Control) off if using Vista/Win 7 and proceed to step 6 - absolutely necessary to keep any stability
    6) reinstall MTW/CoW
    7) turn autosaving off - may help in getting rid of campaign map CTDs

Other means of keeping good stability:
    8) reinstall graphics card drivers
    9) don't use multiple submods without making sure they're compatible

Regards

Extended info on disabling UAC in Vista\Win 7:

a. Win 7 - Press Start, write "UAC" in search window, "Change User Account Control settings" should be found - click it.
    Move the slider downwards to "never notify" position.
    b. Vista - Try Win 7 method, but untick "Use User Account Control..."; alternatively you can go to main User Accounts page in Control Panel, click "Change Security Settings" and then untick beforementioned element.
    c. Press "OK".

d. I recommend uninstalling CoW and making sure Call_of_Warhammer\data directory is deleted (you can keep saves, preferences etc).
    e. Find compatibility folder and delete it, make sure you backup any savegames found there (there might be no saves inside as well):
    C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Sega\Medieval2 Total War (default path, could differ a bit)
    f. Install CoW following usual routine.

g. For players confident that they installed correctly: skip uninstalling part and go straight from "c" to "e".
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; January 01, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Before posting: How to fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Thanks a lot Isilendil!

This will be very helpful

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Default Re: Before posting: How to fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

HI.

When i want run my game as administrator, i can t check the option, it s impossible. So how can and what can i do ?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

You have to do it for your shortcut. Here's how you do it:

1) Right-click on the CoW shortcut

2) Click on "Advanced..."

3) Check the "Run as Administrator

What do you mean by compatibility folder? What compatibility folder?

When I try to run the shortcut as an administrator, there is a pop up message which says "windows can't find kingdoms.exe". So how can i get through this ?

Comes Limitis

^same problem
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Bardin Gorimson View Post
    When I try to run the shortcut as an administrator, there is a pop up message which says "windows can't find kingdoms.exe". So how can i get through this ?

Are you sure you completely installed Kingdoms completely? I also think running as administrator should not be ran if you disable UAC. Either run as admin or disable UAC. I did that for my Vista and it works

*EDIT* /cheer, 900th post.

I get random CTD playing campaign. I have windows 7 ultimate. I have done all the "fixes" above but it still crashes, its very annoying. When the UAC is set to the bottom the game crashes randomly, when the UAC is in the middle and I try running as administrator the game says it cant find Kingdoms.exe file.

What is this deleting the teutonic folder I hear of, should I do that?

I love this mod but there is no use playing it like this. Please help..

Quote Originally Posted by pansarskott View Post
    I get random CTD playing campaign. I have windows 7 ultimate. I have done all the "fixes" above but it still crashes, its very annoying. When the UAC is set to the bottom the game crashes randomly, when the UAC is in the middle and I try running as administrator the game says it cant find Kingdoms.exe file.

What is this deleting the teutonic folder I hear of, should I do that?

I love this mod but there is no use playing it like this. Please help..
    I also have windows 7 Ult and its works fine. Possible solutions.

1. Turn off UAC completely. This thing is a curse from the gods and should be destroyed regardless.
    2. Turn down graphics. This worked for some. COW is more resource and cpu intensive than vanilla, I guess.
    3. Exact install of COW. Mixing up the order is a sure cause of CTDs. I am thinking this could be your problem. Latest 1.4.2 patch disables some cool stuff but, in my experience, is more stable and has better BAI.
    4. Run in windowless mode. This made a huge difference for me.
    5. It might be that some factions are more stable than others (not sure myself, other than for dwarfs). In 1.3.1, dwarfs were very unstable. In 1.4.1, I could play into the 100s turn (which has made this mod the best ever).
    6. There are countless threads describing various horrible experiences with CTDs. You might need to read them all to figure out which thread best describes (and hopefully solves) your horrible experience.

Quote Originally Posted by boatie View Post
    I also have windows 7 Ult and its works fine. Possible solutions.

1. Turn off UAC completely. This thing is a curse from the gods and should be destroyed regardless.
    2. Turn down graphics. This worked for some. COW is more resource and cpu intensive than vanilla, I guess.
    3. Exact install of COW. Mixing up the order is a sure cause of CTDs. I am thinking this could be your problem. Latest 1.4.2 patch disables some cool stuff but, in my experience, is more stable and has better BAI.
    4. Run in windowless mode. This made a huge difference for me.
    5. It might be that some factions are more stable than others (not sure myself, other than for dwarfs). In 1.3.1, dwarfs were very unstable. In 1.4.1, I could play into the 100s turn (which has made this mod the best ever).
    6. There are countless threads describing various horrible experiences with CTDs. You might need to read them all to figure out which thread best describes (and hopefully solves) your horrible experience.

Thanks man, I'll try this...

I have the steam version of this and I can't get CoW to run at all.

one thing: in Win7 setting the .bat running automatically as admin is not possible, because it's a bat file and non an exe file. Or am i just doing something wrong?
    CoW is better than Third Age, but i can't change nick now!

RedDwarf's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdAgeFan View Post
    one thing: in Win7 setting the .bat running automatically as admin is not possible, because it's a bat file and non an exe file. Or am i just doing something wrong?
    Instead of the bat directly . Give the short icon the admin. privilege.
    "When In doubt? Belive the person with the bloodier weapon!"
    "When you need to shoot. Shoot, don't talk!" Tuco

Hi, I copied english translation on 1.4.3 but when I start the game on loading, it crash. It says " Unspecifed error..." What can I do ? Please help

Whats the "short icon" Or am i msising something?

I am trying to find this UAC on my Win 7. I searched for it in the Call_of_warhammer folder. and it found nothing, secondly, i cant run the Bat. file as admin.

Please help?

UAC is your account control, you know those annoying messages asking you "do you want to allow this installation" and blabla? by simply lower the scroll to the bottom you will be turning off your User Account Control

Laetus

Hello,
    I'm using win 7 and have installed COW 1.4.4 with english translation + musics. This version is the first I've ever installed on this computer. I've turn my UAC off, deleted the teutonic folder and drastically reduced the graphic details.
    However the game crashes during the AI campaign moves with "unexpected error, the game will now exit". This always occures during the AI deplacement phase, when the rebels begin their turn, or sometime during the sylvanian turn (I play the Reikland). Except this error, the game is very stable, battle phases included ...
    Have you any known solution for this problem ? The mod is awesome and this bug is really frustrating ...

Icon5 Re: Before posting: How to fix stability, Vista, Win 7 issues (incl. fatal graphics errors) and broken savegames --

Hi,
    My savegame won't load, no matter what I do. Whenever I try to load the savegame, an error dialog box pops up and says So, I looked in this forum. The .cfg file says exactly what isilendil posted. No other battles work either. This mod was working fine last night, but now after it's been off for hours, it won't load anything except to the main menu.

Also, I have a question about the strings.bin files. Am I supposed to delete EVERY file that has strings.bin at the end?

• Name of your issue: CTD after trying to continue a saved campaign or load any battle
    • Is CTD repeatable? Yes
    • Did CTD occur during the a) year turn b) Strategy map activates c) Battle map activates d) can't start the game: Can't start/continue the game
    • What is you operating system: Vista
    • What language version of the game do you have? 1.4.4 Full English Translation
    • What year are you playing when CTD occurred? Just started
    • What faction do you play? Hochland
    • What faction is creating the CTD (if known, leave speculations to your comments)
    • Briefly describe the issue and add comments. (Be specific and detailed!): Attempted to continue my game from when I saved it last night, and whenever I try to load the game, the music keeps playing, but the window disappears and a dialog pops up and says "unspecified error. Game will now exit."
    • Provide link to your log file after the issue has happened. How to extract log file: I can't seem to FIND any logs.
    • Provide Screenshot if applicable: N/A
    • Provide link to your save game: Hochland.rar

Thanks!

Okay, I installed 1.4, then 1.4.4 cumulative. I try to run the mod with the shortcut. It loads the launcher. I start up medieval2 and the game shows the CoW loading screen. The program then crashes and throws up an "unexpected error" message. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast