Thread: Ridiculous newb question about HoI3

Default Ridiculous newb question about HoI3

Hi everyone, I got just about the most ridiculous and stupid question about the game.

I understand most of the basic functions of the game, which are generally all you need in order to at least start playing a paradox game, except for one stupid little thing-

How do you attack.

I'm playing as the U.S.A right now and apparently made the mistake of pissing the citizens off, which resulted in a disgruntled rabble spawning and running all over the place.

Given that I never tried combat in HoI3, I thought this would a nice way to figure out how it worked. From my understanding, you initiate combat in HoI3 by having a particular unit move into an area occupied by enemy forces. The problem is that I keep on getting status reports saying that X engaged Y, and that either X or Y won, but with no loss of life, etc.

After spending about 20 minutes completely confounded by the situation, I decided to just try declaring war on Mexico to see if it's because you have to deal with rabbles in some different manner. After using the noneutrality cheat and DoWing Mexico, I moved a division into an area occupied by a Mexican unit. I see the same status report and another report saying that I lost, even though no one died again.

I tried looking through the tutorial, but it had nothing on how to initiate combat, so I'm completely stumped here.

Can anyone help me out so that I can finally get along with getting my ass kicked by the Germans when WWII starts?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Ridiculous newb question about HoI3

Is this a joke? All you have to do is click once on the province where the enemy unit is located. If you win once, just keep doing it and eventually they'll all die after a while. If that doesn't work, surround the enemy with your units and attack with all of them. That'll definitely destroy the enemy.

No joke.

Like I said, I understand that all you have to do to start a battle is to click on a region. Except no one dies or anything. Simply the status quo.

I did surround the rabble. I did click on them multiple times. I did see a page saying that a battle is happening. I did see a page that said either we or they lost with absolutely no causalities at all.

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Screenshots please? Sounds like some kind of unusual bug.

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Well it could be that your units have absolutely no organisation (the green thermometer next to the brown one), that'd mean that your units immediately retreat due to a lack of command structure.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dutch Devil View Post
    Well it could be that your units have absolutely no organisation (the green thermometer next to the brown one), that'd mean that your units immediately retreat due to a lack of command structure.
    I'm not sure how that works. You probably need HQ's to be near the units, am I right? Haven't played in a long time.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Eneru112 View Post
    I'm not sure how that works. You probably need HQ's to be near the units, am I right? Haven't played in a long time.
    No, from what I understand is that when HQs are in "effective" range (200 km for a corps unit) the bonuses that the commander of the HQ unit has e.g. Panzer commander will be passed through onto the unit.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

have you got lots of dissent?

Sorry for getting back to this late.

Dutch Devil- I checked the organization for the units, and it's zero. If that indeed is the problem here, I would be very happy if you can tell me how to raise organization, as the hoi3 wiki and manual doesn't seem to give any good answer.

Here's some of screen-shots that I've taken of the thing, though I do think that organization is what's screwing me over now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57848996@N02/5323555899/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57848996@N02/5324160104/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/57848996@N02/5324156876/

Content Emeritus

The organization is indeed zero, normally time raises this. But because your officer rate is also zero (The black and white flag with the red zero) there is no command structure to speak of, you can solve this by going to the technology tab and investing some leadership points into officer training. If the officer rate in your army rises the organization will also go up, it's best to keep the officer rate at 200% because of bonuses etc. I also noticed that the dissent is pretty high: The green number on the screenshots next to the flame, it's best to keep it at zero because the higher it is the more IC is lost. You can solve this by going to the production tab and by enlarging your IC investments in "consumer production" or something like that.

I knew the thing about dissent(a product of me being a fool and trying to produce 3 medium tank divisions at once and wildly raising my IC in that particular field without paying attention to the IC in consumers), but I didn't know that about the officers.

Thank you very much for that piece of info, and I'll get back to you if that (I'm fairly sure it will) solve the problem.

I have another question,

If I go to my officer's tab, it currently says that I have 26663 officers covering 223 brigades, and that for a proper ratio we need at least 13435 officers. So I have roughly 2x the necessary officer count, but the % next to the flag remains at the red 0%.

What's going on here?

Content Emeritus

Hmm, this is strange. Did you mobilize your army (under the politics tab)? One other thing which you could try is hovering your mouse over the empty thermometers and check the numbers you see there.

I tried it on my current U.S.A game, but it didn't go up.

So I tried making a new game and focusing all of my technology to officer production, but the red bar remained the same.

In the one where I'm dealing with the rebels, the organization says 0/0.

The officer flag area says that I have 44603 officers covering 231 brigades, and that I need at least 14235 officers. Given that, shouldn't I have plenty enough officers to organize my army?

Could it be some sort of weird bug, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong that is preventing my organization or officer % from going up?

Content Emeritus

IDK, but I'm afraid that some kind of weird bug is causing this. Try loading up a Germany in the 1941 scenario and just randomly attack some Russian provinces. If organization is zero at the start, or goes down to zero without you changing any sliders. Then yeah it probably is a bug.

I just realized that I can't change the start date for the scenarios.

I'll just reinstalling HoI3 and see if that fixes the problem.

update-
    It appears that reinstalling did fix the problem. So it appears that everyone was some weird bug afterall.
    Last edited by magick; January 05, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Content Emeritus

Well changing the start date is not done like EU III in HoI III you can choose from X number of scenarios with fixed start dates. If you have the quick start setup you can pick one country for each scenario. And by finding a button on the button right you can switch, from there you can pick every country on every start date.

I had a similar problem. It was caused by using some "immersion mod" uninstalling it made it work again. Had you installed a mod of some sort or were you still running vanilla?

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Sounds like you have patch 2.04d or 2.04e, but are using a mod that isn't compatible with it or patched the game and kept playing your old saved game. I've seen this situation lots of times already since I'm the modder for the HPP mod. 2.04d added a new variable to the file defines.lua that sets the maximum officer ratio. If you're using a mod meant for an earlier version of the game, then that variable isn't set to anything, causing the bug you're seeing. You'll need to get a new version of the mod you're using or start a new game so the variable is set.