Thread: New javelin ranges, smaller bodyguard units & other units stat changes for BB 2.85

Default New javelin ranges, smaller bodyguard units & other units stat changes for BB 2.85

I came back to DLV after playing different mods for SS6.3. Comparing to DLV 2.6 there are many nice things 've been implemented in new 2.85. New unit skins, new campaign scripting, it's very nice. Also it seams to be more stable. Thanks Taiji for all your work and improvements.
    Once I started playing with 2.85 ,some of the units stats were not very balanced/realistic. I've done some changes of units stats to make them as realistic as possible. Of course, there are different opinions exists, that's why there are different mods , submods and so on for TW series. I've done those changes for myself to fully enjoy BB2.85
    Things that 've been changed:
    1) Javelin unit ranges now between 40-50 meters. They were between 30-70 m. Anything above 50 meters is quiet unrealistic.
    ( for a wooden javelin to go such distance and actually penetrate armor, kill somebody) Even 50m is a big stretch.
    AI can't handle anything below 40m ( javelins not launched most of the time)

2) I've changed movement speed of many units based on their armor/shield, training and weapons. Skirmishers units get slightly higher speed. Lightly armored units get slightly higher speed. There were some instances in stats that armored 9 and 6 shield foot knight was faster moving than skirmisher with no armor. Slight adjustments to cavalry movement speeds.
    There are currently some units with the same armor /shield and training but completely different speeds. The faster unit with the same stats was from Western Europe, and the slower unit ( by 10%) was from Mongols. So I adjusted that, so all cavalry speeds will be reflected by their mount, armor/shield and training more accurately.

3) I reduced general bodyguard units size by 50%, and increased their armor by 2-3 . It makes general units less powerful and will require more caution when using them. Firstly it tackles bodyguard overpowering the battle field. If a player combines a few family members in one army, those auto regenerating bodyguard units become unstoppable. Especially in the early came it makes it harder to dominate the battlefield ( with half amount of men)
    Secondly, increasing armor - reduces the chance of general being killed by xbow or archers. Many players just target the general as the easy way to win battles. Also It makes it in line with other have cavalry. Cause currently some heavy cavalry units have as much or more armor. And certainly bodyguards should be able to get the best armor available. Mongol bodyguards size was left at 3/4 their original size due to cavalry nature of their nation.

4) Militias don't have high morale any more. It's been lowered. There should be reason why trained troops cost 3-10 times more.

5) I think that pikemen are way, way overpowered in 2.85.
    I reduced their cavalry bonus to +5(+6), from +12 (+14 for elite pikemen)
    Their attack value 've been lowered by one. Still in custom battles pikemen eliminate even the heaviest cavalry as lancers in plate armor with ease. I might lower their attack in a future. At least now lower grade pikemen somewhat vulnerable. Pikes are not Medieval invention. Just combination of pikes, halberds, crossbows and later fire arms proved to be deadly. Pikes were great at stopping charges and detering cavalry from front assaults.

6) Heavy cavalry/knights costs were slightly increased ( their charge/ attack were increased as well ~ 1 attack and 1 charge)

7) Infantry was left pretty much the same, some of the heavy infantry stats (mostly foot knights) were slightly increased and some spearmen were lowered.

8) Religious units as templars, hospitallers, pagan warriors have lower upkeep now.

9) Lithuania generals, pagan warriors, ritterbruders and foor ritterbrudes now frighten infantry

I attached the file. For anybody who wants to try it out: rename the original " export_descr_unit" file (in case if you'd want to go back to the original stats) and paste my "export_descr_unit" file at data folder at DVL_ext folder. It is savegame-compatible. Because I 've changed bodyguard unit size, the reduced bodyguard units will work for a new campaign only.

In the past I've done some unit stats changes for SS6.3 that have been incorporated in Rozanov's mods
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=351309
    The original thread is at :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=391576
    Last edited by Taiji; December 30, 2010 at 07:28 AM.

Overlord.ru's Avatar Centenarius
    Russian Federation, Moscow Region, Town of Electrostal

Default Re: New javelin ranges, smaller bodyguard units & other units stat changes for BB 2.85

Hope this will be really well-founded and realistic. Good luck and well done!
    P.S. 1 : Is it save-compatible?
    P.S. 2 : First :p

Default Re: New javelin ranges, smaller bodyguard units & other units stat changes for BB 2.85

Thanks for your contribution Rusnmat.

"Thanks be to Heaven, now the Half Moon Triumphs no longer over the Cross.....Neither have the Turks any occasion to upbraid us w/ their Blasphemous Mahometan Proverb: Ye Christians where is your God?"
    ~ King of Poland, Jan III Sobieski

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I'm not sure I want to let others play publicly in areas I spend so much time developing and asking for feedback about, for obvious reasons. So I am closing this thread, sorry for any inconvenience.

Rusnmat, if you really want to help me develop my system then give me feedback please, thanks.
    Last edited by Taiji; December 30, 2010 at 08:04 AM.