Thread: Colonne D'Attaque. Mod Closed.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Default Colonne D'Attaque. Mod Closed.

FRENCH COLONNE D'ATTAQUE

MOD CLOSED
    Please see http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418801

Inspired by a feature of TROM2, I have had a shot at creating a special unit which represents the French attack column. I did it for use in my current major mod of choice, LME, but it will work with any mod (and uses L'aigles first release French Fuslier skins).

My aim is to create a unit that provides a way to punch a hole and disorder an enemy line in just the way the French did it, and to visually represent a column as an awesome sight...

The attachments adds the unit with its own icon. I also include a loc text file for the LME 1807-13 campaigns.

1. 360 men strong, 12 ranks deep, high mass value, but more space between lines to increase visual impact
    2. Slightly stronger melee but awesome charge bonus
    3. Slightly higher morale than fusiliers (to simulate bravado recorded by writers of the period)
    4. Only a few rounds of ammo fired en-masse (unit is militia class); the columns will fire a few rounds and charge!
    5. Uses L'aigle's Fusiliers uniforms
    6. Unit inspires friendly units, and causes fear in the enemy
    7. Moves a little faster than standard ligne units
    8. There's a limit of only 10 of these units available for France in campaign.

PdGuru's House Rules/Tips:

a) Do not change the formation.
    b) Switch off 'Fire at Will'.
    c) Manoeuvre only by wheeling and clicking on required location.
    d) Screen the column with skirmishers or bring it up behind a line.
    e) Charge and Melee - don't wait to fire. You'll take too many casualties. Ammo is only for self defence when required.

Here are some pictures...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Columns advancing...

Cannonballs rent long, wide holes...

Cannister creates a mess...

Firing before the charge...

Acknowledgements: Thanks go to Yarkis and TROM2 for the concept, and iutland, Propaganda, Bethancourt and Hedge Knight for their assistance in getting it working.
    Last edited by Pdguru; January 18, 2011 at 03:34 PM.

Default Re: Colonne D'Attaque

Nice indeed, you finally made it. Beautiful work as always my friend. +rep

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
    Nice indeed, you finally made it. Beautiful work as always my friend. +rep
    Thank you, good sir!

Potato Fritz's Avatar Libertus

very nice.

this mod crashes to desktop for me :\

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by seanjkl View Post
    this mod crashes to desktop for me :\
    At what stage does the CTD happen?
    Last edited by Pdguru; December 31, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Libertus

Problem in battle_entitles_tables. I have removed this table and now I play without crashes
    Last edited by Punisher; January 01, 2011 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Pdguru♔ View Post
    At what stage does the CTD happen?
    it gets to the napoleon total war logo screen :\ erm i dont what its called but i has all the copyrights and stuff then it CTD's

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by seanjkl View Post
    it gets to the napoleon total war logo screen :\ erm i dont what its called but i has all the copyrights and stuff then it CTD's
    Not sure what the problem is. Have you tried {Punisher's approach above (although I don't know why that fix works either, LOL).

maybe you forgot to add Guru_battle_entitles_tables ? "Guru" to start of the line....

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Propaganda View Post
    maybe you forgot to add Guru_battle_entitles_tables ? "Guru" to start of the line....
    This is the problem. The battle enities is at a default name.

On the subject of entities i notice the mass is 2000, this seems slightly ridiculous!

Also your mod would be improved from the ai point of veiw if you gave the unit a value int he table cdir_unit_qualities!

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Thank you Propaganda and Hedge Knight - Changes made and new version posted. I appreciate all the help I can get - I am no skilled modder and learning as I go.

Knight old chap - Regarding mass. This is an open beta - I am trying different settings to create a fundamentally different type of unit, the basis of which was irresistable force via a mass of men (unless shot to pieces first). There's never any need for words like "ridiculous" unless indeed ridicule is due. I need alternatives and suggestions for this beta, not ridicule. . What I'd also like is to give it more power to knock holes in/punch through a line - if you can provide guidance and ideas, I'd very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Pdguru; January 02, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Yes but it does however make them very vulnerable to artillery, mess up the bai when using this unit and change physics rather strangelly in general. A mass of 150 would still give this feeling against infantry without too many nasty side effects.

Tired of TWC Arrogance

Quote Originally Posted by 'The Hedge Knight View Post
    Yes but it does however make them very vulnerable to artillery, mess up the bai when using this unit and change physics rather strangelly in general. A mass of 150 would still give this feeling against infantry without too many nasty side effects.
    Very helpful - thanks! Any suggestion of how to get a toned-down verison of the knock-back effect of cavalry for these columns?

Lets try it out - feedback from those who have downloaded this mod would be much appreciated.

As for me, I am using the columns myself in my LME French campaign and finding them, like you say, very vulnerable to fire (especially with their steady approach and late charge) but potent and very solid (literally) in the melee. All of those are what I am seeking to create. I have found the AI uses them OK in custom battles but have not played against them in campaigns.

no CTD!!!!!!!!! this works great....however i just got out of a game wehre i used them against a fully upgraded old guard...mine had non i lost (obviously) but it was surprising to see that the old guard had only 40 men left at the end almost from the cahrge alone......

Private Normal's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Colonne D'Attaque. Mod Closed.

This is what Napoleon was all about. Because his Armies were made up largely by conscription he needed to advance his men in huge, closely marshalled columns to get these masses of largely untrained men close enough to the enemy lines to enable them to overwhelm any defense by the sheer number of attackers. This strategy was largely undefeated until Napoleon came up against the british ability to fire four and even five volleys a minute. Well done Sir. He changed his tactics slightly at Waterloo, moving his columns into lines at the last possible moment.
    [IMG][/IMG]