Thread: [Public Research] Israel

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

Default [Public Research] Israel

Here you can help to SOI team with this mod. If you have some helpful info, so give it here.

Thanks to all.
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

eran's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [Public Research] Israel

Elite archers unit are called "the Kriti"
    and if you will have elite slingers thier name is "the Pliti".

(It's should be in Judha not here I'm sorry)

thx fo help appreciate it

The Israeli army hasn't cavalry. Horse was used only for chariot.

Hi, this is my first post here. First of all let me tell you that you have a really interesting mod there. I haven't heard of any other mod that tackled the Biblical era so, good job . I signed up just to contribute to this one, given my interest in the Bible and history.

So first off, I'd like to propose an idea for a unit: Benjamite slingers. Hailing from the tribe of Benjamin, they are men who have the expertise in the use of the sling from which they hurl stones at the enemy. The tribe is famous for them, and for some reason, they're mostly left-handed. They're purpose are pretty much similar to the vanilla javelin men, that is, to harass enemies at mid-range but with the advantage of unlimited ammunition, because well, stones are everywhere.

That's the only named unit I can suggest though. For others, you could always use stealth and shock troops, since Israel often resort to guerrilla warfare back then. They should be few in number and with special abilities that can demoralize enemies, like that shock tactic with pots and torches Gideon once used in battle. This can be also applied to Judah.

Now concerning weapons, there are four basic categories: sword, spear, bow and sling according to this site. These would mostly belong to the regular army. You can arm the tribal militiae with spears, clubs and slings. Peasants meanwhile can have agricultural implements converted into weapons, like spears made from pruning hooks and swords which are actually straightened (?) sickle. Again, this is also applicable to Judah.

For cavalry, there should always be the chariot. I doubt troops ride horses back then, but there are Biblical references about donkeys. Those seem to be for logistic purposes though.

will israel use sickle swords?
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

no, we discussed it and in this period Israel were using different types of swords introduced by Philistinians and Phoenians

How is the progress of the mod going?

Venia's Avatar Auxilium meum a Domino

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmansk Tiger View Post
    How is the progress of the mod going?
    currently not very fast due to the lack of manpower on serveral fronts
    SOI skinner/video maker/moderator
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1496,

There are many historical researches/books including weapons, army organization and a list of cities/citadels. Unfortunately most of them are in Hebrew published by Maarachot which is Israeli defence forces publishing house.
    Some of them were translated though as I remember reading one many years ago.
    Try "The military history of the land of Israel in biblical times”. I remember it covers all relevant factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    There are many historical researches/books including weapons, army organization and a list of cities/citadels. Unfortunately most of them are in Hebrew published by Maarachot which is Israeli defence forces publishing house.
    Some of them were translated though as I remember reading one many years ago.
    Try "The military history of the land of Israel in biblical times”. I remember it covers all relevant factions.
    Thanks for info