Thread: [Public Research] Egypt

Automatix's Avatar Semisalis

Default [Public Research] Egypt

Here you can help to SOI team with this mod. If you have some helpful info, so give it here.

Thanks to all.
    Great orders make from soldiers heroes, wrong orders make from them cowards.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Default Re: [Public Research] Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Automatix View Post
    Here you can help to SOI team with this mod. If you have some helpful info, so give it here.

Thanks to all.
    Hmm....Let's see. There weren't any significant changes to the Egyptian army. Most of the warriors originated from Libya. During the Saite period (26th dynasty-from 656 BC-525 BC), they were used as infantry, which includes duties as marines. That's all the info I can give u for now.

Hope it helps
    Last edited by EgyptianWarLord; January 21, 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

used powerful composite bows, used nubians as auxiliaries, used the lightest and fastest chariots of the age, used bronze khepesh swords(sickle-sword)

Infantry fought in square block formations. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Hittites had faster better chariots than the Egyptians. Definitely use the composite bows idea. Used Kushites as shock troops. Nubian cavalry was important, but so were the archers. Probably not too much armor for any of their troops, but i'm not certain...

Quote Originally Posted by Syk'ari View Post
    I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Hittites had faster better chariots than the Egyptians.
    Not quite, the Hittites chariots were heavier and stronger but the Egyptians chariots were lighter and hence faster. Due to the sturdiness of the design, the Hittite chariots carried a third crewman that the Egyptians didn't have. At the same time, the Egyptian chariot's wheels were set further back than the Hittites giving them a sharper turn radius. It's like comparing a knight and a horse-archer, they really both have advantages in their own way.

Okay, well if the Hittites end up as a faction, their chariots should be able to shoot twice as many arrows as their Egyptian and Canaanite counterparts. I mean, a second archer was prolly a huge boon on the battlefield...

Anyway, more research on egypt: I was wrong about the armor. Basic inf had linen breastplates and light armor, while the elites had full scale tunic thingys. They often used standards on lances with the sacred bull, croc, or other deities.

Camps, or on the campaign map, forts, were rectangular and well fortified.

And the Egyptians, like just about everyone else of the time period, didn't pay too much attention to siege enginry.

Hope this helps!

Source: Alexander, by Theodore ayrault dodge

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Syk'ari View Post
    Okay, well if the Hittites end up as a faction, their chariots should be able to shoot twice as many arrows as their Egyptian and Canaanite counterparts. I mean, a second archer was prolly a huge boon on the battlefield...
    they did not have a second archer they had the space to ride into the battle field with the runner(warrior that protects the chariot)

Foederatus

One book which covers the the Egyptian army in this period is Osprey Elite 40 New Kingdom Egypt by Osprey Publishing

Hope this helps