Thread: Question about Buying Minecraft

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Question about Buying Minecraft

So I'm planning on possibly buying minecraft this thursday and I've read that since it went into beta buying it now will no longer let you have free updates, is this true? If so then how will the people with beta be able to play online when servers would update and become incompatible with the older versions.

This is the only concern I have before purchasing.

Tuor's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Question about Buying Minecraft

I read on either Notch's blog or his twitter that he doesn't plan on making people pay for every update. He said he didn't want to make his customers bleed. It's only for major additions to the game once it has gone into full launch... stuff like possible expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    So I'm planning on possibly buying minecraft this thursday and I've read that since it went into beta buying it now will no longer let you have free updates, is this true? If so then how will the people with beta be able to play online when servers would update and become incompatible with the older versions.

This is the only concern I have before purchasing.
    You'll still get free updates as it were, but once the game launches you will have to pay for any new versions. Expansion packs, really.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    You'll still get free updates as it were, but once the game launches you will have to pay for any new versions. Expansion packs, really.
    This. You'll get all the patches until full release guarenteed. You arn't guarenteed anything post release. Ofcourse, you'll almost certainly get patches and maybe some minor updates, but we simply don't know yet.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.