Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple way in playing Victoria 2

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

Default Simple way in playing Victoria 2

I recently bought it off of the steam sale and it's the first paradox game I've ever had so I'm completely lost. The tutorial took about 15 minutes and about a text book of reading. What's the easiest faction for beginners? I tried China and that was a horrible mistake.

Ba'alzamon's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Simple way in playing Victoria 2

Japan, Italy, England.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

The USA or France.

Both fairly powerful, not too farflung, and literate.

I wouldn't recommend any of the above. Japan is uncivilized (Although it would be a good second game) Italy dosen't exist, and has to be united which is fairly difficult, and the UK is very spread out and requires a lot of micro-managing.

It is not as hard as this lout is complaining about. One can make Japan a powerful force in the East very early on by starting .2a strong alliance with China and using China as a huge buffer state from the rest of Europe so you can have your way with Southeast Asia or even Australia (which worked out very well in my Japan Campaign)...The only thing harder about England is, yes its spread out more, but it just involves a few more mouse clicks then most civilizations but I find that a lot of countries normally stay away from your borders due to sheer size of your empire. Once again, the only reason you wouldn't like England is only if you were lazy and did not like scrolling .2 seconds to the right and left every now and then. By Italy I assumed everyone knew I meant the reunification and if you get that far, there is nothing that can stop you since you become one of the ultimate powers. I usually start of with Sicily and move north (Obviously). Good luck to your game. PS: France is way too easy. You will find it gets boring once your power rises to the international scale. Cheers I do say.

He's asking for a first game, those three countries have three very specific and very different playing styles which make them bad choices for a first game.

However, France, the USA, Russia, Austria, Spain and maybe even the Ottoman Empire, have similar playstyles.

I just realised you said France was too easy.

But... You're suggesting the '2000 brigade' UK...
    Last edited by Pious Agnost; December 29, 2010 at 06:57 AM.

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

I found Belgium and Sweden to be quite good as first time games on Victoria 2 (I can't remember which one I played first)
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

I was going to make an American joke but changed my mind.

Anyways, try Sweden.

I'm playing Peru for my first game and it's going okay. You don't have to worry about neighbors right away and you're civilized.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Belgium is fairly decent for a first game, though you can get catastrophically unlucky (I tried a game with them initially, only to have the Netherlands bring Prussia and France into a war with me with my ally Britain bailing. Prussia is decent though you'll have to learn how to manipulate the SoI system to gain the most out of them. Brazil is a nice starter aswell, lots more populace than those around you and no real threats. Japan also, though they are an unciv initially.

Ontopic of learning to play, just jump into a game and start playing. Inquire what things are and what things do. When you're troubled, something isn't working, or you want to learn to do better, ask here or on the Paradox forums. Practice is the best way to go.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

My first (and still ongoing) game was as Tuscany. Tuscany is a small country, protected by Austria and very rich. It'll let you get the hang of the game without plunging you into anything serious right away.

I always find as the USA your economy goes to crap as soon as you start and if you try to help Texas the Mexicans just come after you and finish off Texas after the wreck your armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    My first (and still ongoing) game was as Tuscany. Tuscany is a small country, protected by Austria and very rich. It'll let you get the hang of the game without plunging you into anything serious right away.

I always find as the USA your economy goes to crap as soon as you start and if you try to help Texas the Mexicans just come after you and finish off Texas after the wreck your armies.
    Mexico starts off with irregulars, how'd you manage that?

My first game was with the UK and I have not played anything easier. I for one hate multi-tasking too and dominate with England. Its probably just you Pious

The UK has a unique challenge in that it's already well established and what it has to do is consolidate, rather than expand, that's why it's not a good first game.

It's not to do with how easy it is, but how applicable what you learn is going to be.

And no, I assure you it's not 'just me', when the game which you're supposed to be learning the ropes could include invasions by the largest armies in the game if you time something incorrectly. (Like you would if you were new to the game) Given the AI's penchant for ganging up.

Never had this problem old Bean. It's probably just you (Relax good sir take some humor once in awhile and you won't be so strung-out)

Blaze86420's Avatar Praepositus

I'm hopeless at this game. I don't get the economical aspect what so ever, there's so many freaking numbers. My first game (and failure) was with the Ottoman empire, lets just say it was a sharp contrast to my Global Caliphate back in EUIII.

Blaze you're not the only one

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

I'm better at Vicky 2 than EU3.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Have you tried another game yet OP?

Quote Originally Posted by My Little Pony View Post
    Never had this problem old Bean. It's probably just you (Relax good sir take some humor once in awhile and you won't be so strung-out)

I don't get it, is this your idea of a heated discussion?

Just because your sense of humour dosen't amuse me dosen't mean I'm strung out.

My point is even if he dosen't encounter these problems, what he takes away isn't going to apply to most of the other game choices, he dosen't need to learn how to move armies or about basic (basic basic) industry, tutorial covers that pretty well (amazingly well for a Paradox tutorial really)

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    I'm better at Vicky 2 than EU3.
    I'd say I was the same.

If I didn't have some real bad luck sometimes.

If there was an over-arching, consistently all-powerful country in EUIII like there is in V2 then I'm sure I'd be much better at V2

No you're just obviously over-stressed for an online-forum. Just relax. You are scaring all of us!

I played France and tried to invade Algeria and got my ass kicked

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast