Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Balbinus - 538 A.U.C

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Balbinus - 538 A.U.C

"Pardon, it seems your ears do not work.. Scribe, read back my words please.."

"I do not know where the idea I was to be King has come from, I am a man of the people and if the Patricians and Nobles must stop me from helping the Plebs then they shall stoop to any level!"

Gracchus did not admit to anything senator Caelius. Next time you should hold your tongue and use your ears before making a public display again.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Quote Originally Posted by dragoon47 View Post
    Gracchus did not admit to anything senator Caelius. Next time you should hold your tongue and use your ears before making a public display again.
    My apologies,Praetor.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Enough of this bickering. You call yourselves Senatores yet you squabble like a bunch of wives! I suggest there should be no more accusations for trials and legal action unless either the Praetor decrees it or the party wishing for legal action submits to him a well organized argument. This Curia cannot be bogged down by pointless accusations with little merit other than personal squabbles. I leave for Cisalpine Gaul, and by the gods if i return, i would hope this Senate has been debating matters of the Senatus Populusque Romanus.

With that the Consul strode out of the Curia, and began preparations for the attack on Carthaginian holdings in Italy
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

What he was still here?

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

OOC: He was lingering in the back, Septimus is a meticulous note taker, and was collecting his scrolls
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Gentlemen

Agrippa, a middle aged Patrician rises from the benches near the back of the Curia

I do not want to get drawn into this latest round of bickering. I have a serious question for the Senate. There is a law being put to the vote right now which hopes to impose martial law on Rome and Latium. How is this different from a Dictatorship? And if it is not why is there not a vote to install a Dictator?

As well as this the law seeks to re-instate the powers of Censor. Why are these two drastically different things tied together in a single vote? They have no bearing on each other. I seek that the two clauses of the law be separated and voted on individually.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

*Senator Geminius rises*
    "I agree with Agrippa Furius."
    OOC: Sorry for the one liner, I just wanted to add weight to Junius' proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Junius View Post
    Gentlemen

Agrippa, a middle aged Patrician rises from the benches near the back of the Curia

I do not want to get drawn into this latest round of bickering. I have a serious question for the Senate. There is a law being put to the vote right now which hopes to impose martial law on Rome and Latium. How is this different from a Dictatorship? And if it is not why is there not a vote to install a Dictator?

As well as this the law seeks to re-instate the powers of Censor. Why are these two drastically different things tied together in a single vote? They have no bearing on each other. I seek that the two clauses of the law be separated and voted on individually.
    Gerges entered the Senate and seeing Furius stand went to sit near him to listen to him speak, when he was finished he shuffled closer and attempted to understand what was going on, cautious of prying ears he leant towards him.

It would appear that due to the consistent squabbling in the Senate Poplicola felt the need to implement martial law, on the front it may well look as if he is attempting to gain Dictatorial powers it could well be seen as a scare tactic. We're halfway through the term and yet one of the Consuls has not even left yet! These arguments and baseless accusations have only served to slow the proceedings of state.

As for why Censor is included in the motion it may well be that Poplicola intends to remove martial law once the Censor is implemented, with the calming down of tensions in the Senate house business can resume as normal. Further, martial law is an imposing prospect yet many level headed thinkers in here can see that these arguments are hugely counter productive, with the addition of the Censor to the motion they are more likely to pass it.

This is what I can make of it Furius.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

OOC: Oh yes, I forgot to put i'm leaving.

The remaining Consul finally was prepared to leave and set off to Hispania.

Citizen

Agrippa leant over in rebuttal.

If every time there was a squabble in the Senate we instituted martial law, we would never return to the rule of law. The simple fact is that there will always be heartfelt discussion in the Senate. This will of course lead to the heating of tension among it's members. It shouldn't be any other way. This seems like a power grab for no good reason. Surely the August fathers of the Senate do not need the army to control them? It is only when the mob rises that we should implement martial law. The Senatorial classes should not be treated this way, they deserve better.
    Last edited by Junius; January 02, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Quote Originally Posted by Junius View Post
    Agrippa rises in rebuttal.

If every time there was a squabble in the Senate we instituted martial law, we would never return to the rule of law. The simple fact is that there will always be heartfelt discussion in the Senate. This will of course lead to the heating of tension among it's members. It shouldn't be any other way. This seems like a power grab for no good reason. Surely the August fathers of the Senate do not need the army to control them? It is only when the mob rises that we should implement martial law. The Senatorial classes should not be treated this way, they deserve better. Any Senator who votes for such a measure is guilty of betraying the Senate, himself and his family.
    OOC: He leant in and whispered to you No need to show him up, will reply in a bit as I'm busy at the moment.

OOC: Umm, Junius, the martial law is for the plebs so YATS can keep running instead of the Curia burning. Notice we have no tribune .

The mob has indeed risen Furius, their tribune was not allowed to be elected and now there is rioting in the streets that the watch and Lictor's Guild can only keep in check for so long without the imposing sight of a legion in the streets.

The position of Censor is to allow for heartfelt debate rather than an overabundance of insults. It is also a show of good faith to the plebs that if a Patrician in the future does get out of line in the future for murder, civil strife, etc...that as punishment they may also be stripped of their rank.

It also leads to the possibility of one gaining rank such as my family for our deeds in the past. Many may frown upon it but it took a great deal of overwhelmingly good things for my ancestor to rise to the rank of Patrician, not only to drive to become one.

Martial law would only stay in effect long enough to see if the re-institution of tribune calms the people. I set a maximum time for it to be in effect, not a minimum.

Citizen

Agrippa rises

So you Senators have betrayed yourselves and your families. Martial law has been passed by an overwhelming majority. You shall reap what you sow. There is no need for this chamber now. We have a dictator in all but name. A dictator is fine, my ancestors were dictators, but when he hides and obfuscates his purpose, then we need to grow suspicious. He seeks to control Rome by non-constitutional means. He hopes to scare you into submission. This is no longer a house full of the best Rome has to offer, but a house full of grey haired scared men, trembling in their boots and the bark of a king-in-waiting.

I have no time for you. You despicable men. You have betrayed your gods and your Rome. He was overplayed some minor rebellion to remove the elected Consuls from all de facto power. He was upset the mos maiorum, which has done us so well in the past. This Praetor is an enemy to Rome, and he acts like it's protector. Strength of Roman arms can overcome any obstacle. We do not need to fear these rebels. Yet we do. All because of some hot air that has been spouted here in the Senate. This man is an enemy to Rome.

But you have chosen your course men. You have gone over to this king-in-waiting. I pity you. I despise you. Here's to Rome, the Senate and her People. The world will never see the like of them again.

With that the Senate swept out of the room, angry and red-faced. He did not look back, he did not turn his head to the outraged and flabbergasted Senators who sat in the seats, the silent men of the Senate. He only hoped that the Praetor would take the bait.
    Patron of Lysimachus

The obstacle isn't rebels, it's our own people senators. The Plebeians cry out for blood, our blood. The blood of the ruling class for allowing their most sacrosanct of positions to be taken away from them. If some people disagree with my actions then that is their problem. It the people we serve, Plebeian and nobles alike. This term we grant the nobles protection and the Plebeians their right to be heard again. The legions should be arriving soon and they will calm this outbreak of hatred before it begins, hopefully with nothing but a few cuts to remember the day by.

He says I am an enemy of Rome. I can assure you that is not the case. Has an enemy of Rome ever defended the people as I have? I let no city fall to the Punics last year even though it was seen to let it be so to regain our strength.

He says I have overplayed the rebellion by the Latin League? Was it not I that chose to ignore them until we had dealt with Hannibal? Was it not I that suggested to keep moving South into Iberia instead of worrying about a petty band of soldiers in Emporiae?

I have declared Martial Law only after as Furius would say and overwhelming vote in the senate house. A vote to ensure that you senators may continue to debate about what is best for Rome, a vote that allowed Furius to make his speech today, a vote that allows Rome to survive until this period of instability is over.

The consuls do not believe their power is infringed upon, they have supported my actions. Gracchus is getting his election, the Punics will be battered beyond repair in a matter of months and we have victory gentlemen and I make this promise to you, I will remove martial law the moment stability is ensured and the legions will leave the city as promised. If some do not understand that, that is their problem, their demons they must face in order to judge this the correct action. For my actions I will admit are not right but they are just, and the Roman people cry out for justice for the wrong that has been done to them this year.

Join me senators, to make this a term that ends with tranquility and the possibility of further prosperity for every citizen, Plebeian and Patrician alike. Let us not pretend we serve them only for their support, let us show them we are men of action and conscience, that we have the will to do what must be done when it must be done. I have been among the people, I have been upon a horse, I have spilled blood for Rome against her enemies and this I promise you senators, justice will be done.

Lucius left the Curia on that somber note, he would be back soon enough, back with proof he deserved the power thrust upon him.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

"Good senators of rome...it is drastic to do this but I think it is nessecary to the senates well being!I call for the stripping of powers of the praetor and a good noble roman to replace him while hold a trial for corruption!Is it mere coincedince that he arrested the man most vocal about wanting his precious praetor position is the man he arrests with NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!We cannot allow for this in rome.If there is the slightest bit of roman in you right now you will act!We have never sheltered ourselves when danger came hoping to simply wait it out!If there is justice in rome this will happen and if it wont....and if it wont you are etting a very evil man get away with a terrible deed.Please for the sake of rome pass this act!"
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

"Do you not think it is because I have evidence of your corruption, and of your other.. 'Plots'."

"Even if you do why does he choose who to rrest and who not too?"
    respect the melon!

"Good senators of rome...it is drastic to do this but I think it is nessecary to the senates well being!I call for the stripping of powers of the praetor and a good noble roman to replace him while hold a trial for corruption!Is it mere coincedince that he arrested the man most vocal about wanting his precious praetor position is the man he arrests with NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER!We cannot allow for this in rome.If there is the slightest bit of roman in you right now you will act!We have never sheltered ourselves when danger came hoping to simply wait it out!If there is justice in rome this will happen and if it wont....and if it wont you are etting a very evil man get away with a terrible deed.Please for the sake of rome pass this act!"
    Gerges stood and rounded upon Claudius,

You are a fool to call an arrest on the man who has put in place Martial Law, you do not hide your ambitions well behind your tirades Claudius! Who but yourself would you have replace the esteemed Praetor? What corruption do you speak of? Our Praetor has put in Martial Law to protect the lifeblood of Rome, the people!

The denial of the position of the Tribune has been a major infringement on the rights of the Plebeian people's, the outraged caused for this may well put many aristocratic Senators in the greatest of danger. The back streets of Rome are hardly safe enough as it is! Further as this noble body has proven over the past few weeks with this constant bickering that has led to insufferable stagnation a Censor is needed to tame the tongues of one such as yourself. What do you accuse him of? Is it not the right of a Praetor to investigate those whom he suspects of a crime! If you are to be brought to trial then fight it as a Roman, with dignity, do not come in here bawling like a child, you dishonour your family!

Martial law will end of that there is no doubt, and so too I hope will the foolishness of some of the men here who call themselves Senators,
    his eyes bore into Claudius as if he could see right to the back of his skull, now,you have raised no formal motion for the arrest of Lucius Valerius Poplicola and if you have any sense in your scattered brain you will back down and not attempt such a thing! Or as a Tribune I shall veto the motion without hesitation, that is final.

He stood challenging Claudius to do anything but submit.

"Here you are....letting corruption run rampant simply hoping it will go away!You are a coward!You yourself may be corrupt vetoing a law to invetigate a obviously corrupt praetor.What are those reasons to bring to trial without sufficiant evidence praetor?You yourself refuse to bring to trial two very likely corrupt men then when someone comes to you with the requast to arrest someone whom may be a future threat to your job you quickly do it.Is there a more plain and obvious form of corruption?I ask for the vote of a senator for a job you yourself want and you arrest me for it?Did you not ask for votes when you wanted the job of praetor?What corruption is asking for a vote?If you write off the evedince I have just provided you are either a coward afraid to dare challenge a praetor or you are in on the plot!I hope that the noble action is taken."
    respect the melon!