Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Septimus and Balbinus - 538 A.U.C

Default Re: Consulate of Septimus and Balbinus - 538 A.U.C

"Good senators of rome.It is obvious there is corruption and lust in this room!And before we look to our provinces we must clean ourselves within!I call for the immediate stripping of powers and arrest of Gracchus and Scaurus!For how can we be successful away from rome if there is so much trouble within it?"
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Senator, may I ask what basis you have for these allegations? Gracchus, while maybe extreme, is just attempting to improve life for the Plebs. Likewise I see no basis for the accusations of corruption at Senator Scarus.

Quote Originally Posted by [100]jplay.TGC View Post
    Senator, may I ask what basis you have for these allegations? Gracchus, while maybe extreme, is just attempting to improve life for the Plebs. Likewise I see no basis for the accusations of corruption at Senator Scarus.
    "The senate waited for a reply but they were not to get one soon.The senator was so worked up that he passed out.Something frequent since the fire.His nurses carried him home...."
    respect the melon!

SSSSIIILEENCE!

Lucius sprang into the center of the Room where and argument was taking place and called in lictors to control the senators at each others' throats.

I call for an immediate vote on my motion which our consuls have so deliberately ignored due to bribery or treachery and who knows what else. I call for a full investigation as to their motives and the motives of senator Gracchus and senator Claudius. I wish to know why the latter's Nomen is different to his Father's, I call for an investigation of his so-called "accident", I call for the bloody law to work the way it is supposed to work and I wish for all of you arguing in these halls to be cursed to Hades if you continue upon this endless path of hate and destruction that is slowly leading this nation to the brink of a bloody civil war!

I therefore will call the vote for "Lex Valeria De Re Militari" myself.

I call for the immediate arrest of this year's consuls by praetorian law if they do not stop their bickering in the absence of a Censor, that they may be tried and let the god's decide whether they're hearts are for the Senate and People of Rome or for their own purses and personal ambitions should they continue afterward! This room will have order damn you or you will all be thrown from the Tarpeian Rock!

Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Lucius, calm yourself. I have not disregarded your motion, in fact, i have adamently supported your motion. Northern Italy is the priority, and AFTER crushing the rebellion, i shall take the Legion north to Genoa. We do not have a senate without deliberation. In my defense, i was soon to call a vote on your motion, so if the Senate was wondering, i am supporting Lucius's motion!
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

The call for an investigation still stands, we cannot stand a delay when accusations are being thrown about like the toys of children. I also found it very obvious that the rebels would be crushed first since they are in their death throes so I saw no reason to include them in the motion because it was plain common sense but some senators see it as otherwise, like our governor-friend who is on his way to Sicily with ambitions to attack a Greek city-state.

The vote is now lawful, to delay in voting is a crime against the Roman people.

"Yes I agree that there should be an investigation immediatly.We cannot write off a serious threat as mere gossip.I hope that we also attack all that stand in the way of Rome and sweep them away like the verman we are!"
    respect the melon!

There is no "serious threat". Gracchus has no official office nor great support within these halls,even if the tribunate is restored and the people are foolish enough to elect this imbecile,his inviolability would be merely symbolic if he attempted to make himself a king,the tribune powers come from the people and kings are not for the people!

Now as for disbanding any Legions,we must first defeat our enemies on Roman borders before we can even think about such things,at the very least Genoa must fall before we can think about reorganising our forces.I also would ask my fellow Senators not to forget that we have not yet crushed the pitiful remains of the rebellion in the south,nor have we made preparations for a possible attack in Sicily.I also feel abandoning Epirus is a mistake as if we start to show weakness,our enemy's are sure to see this as a sign of weakness and will surely attack us openly.

"Senators! What is this? Why are accusing honourable romans without reason. Lucius, how can you speak of throwing accusations like toys when you then go on to make unfounded accusations. What basis have you to accuse these men of treachery or being bribed? It is a very short list of men indeed who can afford to bribe two consuls.
    At least I know better now than to question senator Claudius, as he is so obviously cursed by the Gods that he faints in the senate halls like a tender greek!"

OOC:dacder please put you character name in your sig, I had to go to your domus to look it up. Also bad typo, you just called yourself verman.
    Last edited by Nota'; January 01, 2011 at 04:33 AM.

Unfounded?

You call Hannibal's invasion and a subsequent rebellion followed by the inability of our leadership to even start a vote on the subject of a counterattack while we are still able, the ambition of a senator to attack a Greek city-state without provocation, the temporary removal of the office of tribune, a speech that condemns it, followed by the call for the arrest of the two involved by someone who just called every senator including himself vermin followed by fainting on the senate floor something that does not warrant an immediate investigation?

You senators should be lucky I'm even able to quell the plebs in this city. If my family wasn't only 2nd generation patrician the Curia might well be burned down by now. The watch and the Lictor's Guild have been called out to defend the forum.

On that note I also wish to propose a motion.

I. Effective immediately, Rome and the surrounding countryside will be put under martial law pending the arrival of the legions of Italy to the Campus Martius to enforce it. This responsibility shall be that of the Praetor, Lucius Valerius Poplicola, until the end of his term and the election that follows it, after which, martial law will be lifted.

II. The Re-institution of the office of Censor to control the hot tempers and baseless accusations that have been thrown around as of late. This office as well as Censor will ensure the plebs that patricians are under threat of losing their status for crimes just below that of treason. This will be a Post-Consular position as the law used to suggest.

As for my investigation, I can no longer hold Consul Julius as he no longer has reason to be held for anything other than his lethargic nature for which I cannot hold him accountable. His Co-Consul Balbinus has also been found to not be involved in any plot.

I call for the immediate departure of Consuls Julius and Balbinus to lower Cisalpine Gaul and Hispania respectively to carry out the motion carried last week.

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Arriving back from his abrupt arrest, Consul Aquilius retook his seat nearest his more favoured colleagues and quickly caught up on the recent proposal.

"I agree with the proposal suggested, however I would like to add that the Praetor himself should be charged with overseeing this imposition of military rule. If that can be agreed upon then I would be satisfied with such a proposal."

The proposal has been amended barring any objections.

Lucius turns to senator Balbinus.

I hope your stay with me was not too uncomfortable Consul but I hope you understand that it was necessary I investigate all avenues of possible conspiracy in these halls at the time I last addressed it for the reasons aforementioned.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

The Praetor is right, we must act now and decisively. To keep with the pace of things, i shall open the voting. If any Senator has qualms against this proposal, you can voice your opinion via vote. I must leave now for the Legions and Genoa...may Fortuna smile upon us all.
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

"The Restituto Tribunis Law has passed.. It is time.. Senators, for an election."

*Spurius stood, astounded that the entire senate, supposedly made up of good, strong roman men (including two consuls!) were being bent to the will of one man!*
    What conspiracy is this senators? I say Senator Lucius Valerius Poplicola fancies himself a future king. He intends to put Rome and Latium under direct military control, under his command of course. Tell me senators, how are we to defend ourselfs when this man seeks to control Rome's army, and we are letting him succeed!

OOC: Its a bit unfair that you get to decide what the Plebs are saying/doing dont you think .

Better Poplicola the dictator then Gracchus the King don't you think Scaeva?

"I find the prospect of a dictator unnappealing no matter who it is Aulus." *The senator flashed a smile, although it was clear he was not relaxed after accusing one of the most powerful men in Rome*

OOC: As Winter said, we're lucky if we are alive right now as the one thing that can keep the plebs in line is the election and martial law .

Martial law is not the same as a dictatorship Geminius, you would be wise to remember that. If I wanted to seize power trust me I would have done so after the victory against Hannibal when there was no chance for anyone in these halls to even object my actions. I did not take dictator then, I will not take it now...or did I put a term limit onto the law just to make it harder on myself?

Balbinus you may leave whenever you are ready, expect reinforcement from Italy when the Punics in the North are crushed. I believe Legio X may be sufficient, if you would recall they are the men who saved the army at Trasimene and won the Battle of Arretium.

"I do not know where the idea I was to be King has come from, I am a man of the people and if the Patricians and Nobles must stop me from helping the Plebs then they shall stoop to any level!"

Then you admit to it?

Praetor I demand this man is brought to trial!