Thread: Creating your own Menu Background video (Step-by-step instructions)

Default Creating your own Menu Background video (Step-by-step instructions)

I believe there are some similar tutorials, but the more the merrier, right? Besides if people don't get something, several tutorials will only help.

What the hell? Menu background video is the video you see behind the main menu after launching the game. In vanilla Medieval 2 it shows marching soldiers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stuff you'll need.

1. Your own video that will serve as the substitute for the vanilla video. It can be any (.avi, .wmv, .mpg etc.) format, it does not matter. I am not going to instruct you on how to make one. (Though it is best to use uncompressed avi video. That's what I do and get brilliant results.)
    2. RAD video. A tool for converting your video to a format that the game will recognize.
    3. Possibly Photoshop or some similar software and some basic skills in using it. (Check troubleshooting)

Let's do it!

First step!
    Assuming you've already got your video ready here are some things you need to make sure of:

• The video frame size is exactly 1024x768. If you use smaller frame size, the game will stretch the video and it will look awful. Tip: When making the video you can create black bars on the top and bottom of the video, because the top and bottom of it will not be seen in the main menu anyway! This way you will spare some mb in size when compressing the video with RAD tools.

Second step!
    Onto the compression. When you are absolutely sure your video is 1024x768 you can use RAD video tools to convert the video file to .bik format so that the game can use it.

• Open up RAD tools, select your video file and press BINK IT

• Next modify your settings so that it looks exactly like in the screenshot below:

Compress to a % of the original is entirely your preference. Note that the more you compress the poorer the quality will be. The option where you put "64" is very important. It will slow down the process but increase the quality somewhat. If you plan to include audio (which you shouldn't for this type of video), you have to check Compress audio box and enter "4" into the Compress level.
    Alternatively you can select Compress to a data rate in stead of percent. Enter something from 400000 to 600000 and the quality should be fine. Here are the settings that I use to get small size with decent quality:

• Press Bink when you are ready.
    • You can view the quality of the compression during the process by pressing Preview button. If you are not satisfied you can cancel the compression and change your settings.

Tip: The process can take up to several hours. This tool will work MUCH faster if you have a multi-core CPU. Quad-core users will benefit greatly.

Third and final little step!

When the file is ready rename it to "Dump0000". The go to "Medieval II Total War\data\fmv\menu" And replace the original video file. Make back-up first if you wish. And that's it. Open up Medieval 2 and you have your own video in stead of the "walking soldiers".
    - If you plan to do this for a mod, the instructions are the same. Find (or if the folder is not there, create it by yourself) "MOD-FOLDER\data\fmv\menu" and put your .bik file there.

Troubleshooting
    If the video is not showing up there are usually two reasons for this:

1) medieval2.preference.cfg file (found in Medieval II Total War main folder for vanilla) or the custom .cfg file (for mods) has the background disabled. To enable it, open up the cfg file with Notepad and find this line: no_background_fmv = 1 Change "1" to "0" and the video should show. If there is no such line then add it yourself under the [video] section.

2) If the video is still not showing then it is possible that the _m2_border.tga is overlaying it. This can happen only with mods. Open the folder "MOD-NAME\data\menu" and find the file _m2_border.tga. Make a back-up of it and then edit the file with PS or whatever and make the middle part of it transparent, leaving the upper and lower parts untouched. The middle part is the part which will let the video show.

- If the BINK video compressor refuses to bink your video it is possible that you do not have proper codecs installed on your computer. Simply download K-Lite codec pack, install it and the problem should be solved.

And that's all there is to it. If your video is still not showing then you have messed something up. Read again through the instructions carefully and hopefully you can get it right.

I hope this was helpful to you!
    Last edited by Neige; January 27, 2011 at 04:49 AM.

Default Re: Creating your own Menu Background video (Step-by-step instructions)

do it's possible in third age?

Yes any M2TW mod.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Just to also add that the movies need to be in a .AVI format otherwise you will get distorted sound if you try and use RAD tools to make any movies for in game.
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; November 14, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Not the right thread but I can't find a proper one. I got a really dumb question to ask. How do you take screenshots so you can upload pictures and the like. everytime I hit print screen all I get is a black screen with my task bar on it. Should be simple but I can't make it work.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Look in your tgas folder?

Where would one look to find the tga folder. I'm not having much luck digging through the files and finding it.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

there is another issue that prevents the background from appearing, in the CFG file, some mods have the command Movies = false under [Video] section, make it Movies = true and you should be able to see the background.

+ rep for the easy tutorial.
    Last edited by Cyrene; August 23, 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Neige View Post
    I believe there are some similar tutorials, but the more the merrier, right? Besides if people don't get something, several tutorials will only help.

What the hell? Menu background video is the video you see behind the main menu after launching the game. In vanilla Medieval 2 it shows marching soldiers.

Stuff you'll need.

1. Your own video that will serve as the substitute for the vanilla video. It can be any (.avi, .wmv, .mpg etc.) format, it does not matter. I am not going to instruct you on how to make one. (Though it is best to use uncompressed avi video. That's what I do and get brilliant results.)
    2. RAD video. A tool for converting your video to a format that the game will recognize.
    3. Possibly Photoshop or some similar software and some basic skills in using it. (Check troubleshooting)

Let's do it!

First step!
    Assuming you've already got your video ready here are some things you need to make sure of:

• The video frame size is exactly 1024x768. If you use smaller frame size, the game will stretch the video and it will look awful. Tip: When making the video you can create black bars on the top and bottom of the video, because the top and bottom of it will not be seen in the main menu anyway! This way you will spare some mb in size when compressing the video with RAD tools.

Second step!
    Onto the compression. When you are absolutely sure your video is 1024x768 you can use RAD video tools to convert the video file to .bik format so that the game can use it.

• Open up RAD tools, select your video file and press BINK IT

• Next modify your settings so that it looks exactly like in the screenshot below:

Compress to a % of the original is entirely your preference. Note that the more you compress the poorer the quality will be. The option where you put "64" is very important. It will slow down the process but increase the quality somewhat. If you plan to include audio (which you shouldn't for this type of video), you have to check Compress audio box and enter "4" into the Compress level.
    Alternatively you can select Compress to a data rate in stead of percent. Enter something from 400000 to 600000 and the quality should be fine. Here are the settings that I use to get small size with decent quality:

• Press Bink when you are ready.
    • You can view the quality of the compression during the process by pressing Preview button. If you are not satisfied you can cancel the compression and change your settings.

Tip: The process can take up to several hours. This tool will work MUCH faster if you have a multi-core CPU. Quad-core users will benefit greatly.

Third and final little step!

When the file is ready rename it to "Dump0000". The go to "Medieval II Total War\data\fmv\menu" And replace the original video file. Make back-up first if you wish. And that's it. Open up Medieval 2 and you have your own video in stead of the "walking soldiers".
    - If you plan to do this for a mod, the instructions are the same. Find (or if the folder is not there, create it by yourself) "MOD-FOLDER\data\fmv\menu" and put your .bik file there.

Troubleshooting
    If the video is not showing up there are usually two reasons for this:

1) medieval2.preference.cfg file (found in Medieval II Total War main folder for vanilla) or the custom .cfg file (for mods) has the background disabled. To enable it, open up the cfg file with Notepad and find this line: no_background_fmv = 1 Change "1" to "0" and the video should show. If there is no such line then add it yourself under the [video] section.

2) If the video is still not showing then it is possible that the _m2_border.tga is overlaying it. This can happen only with mods. Open the folder "MOD-NAME\data\menu" and find the file _m2_border.tga. Make a back-up of it and then edit the file with PS or whatever and make the middle part of it transparent, leaving the upper and lower parts untouched. The middle part is the part which will let the video show.

- If the BINK video compressor refuses to bink your video it is possible that you do not have proper codecs installed on your computer. Simply download K-Lite codec pack, install it and the problem should be solved.

And that's all there is to it. If your video is still not showing then you have messed something up. Read again through the instructions carefully and hopefully you can get it right.

I hope this was helpful to you!
    It's very weird but i get the video playing in the background when placing it in wtw/data/fmv/menu and naming it Dump0000 - as a background movie..

But i can't get it to play as an intro-movie by naming it logos.bik and placing it in neither of wtw/fmv/logos.bik or wtw/data/fmv/logos.bik.

It just skips the movie and enters the main menu almost immediately?.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Got a strange CTD when set movies = true in .cfg - got background video but when press start campaign got CTD without error in log, find out that error occurred when chosen faction entry checked in descr_strat.

Got no intro movie in campaign. Previous version of my mod and another mod works fine with background video.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!