Thread: Season's Greetings from The Silver Shield (12th Edition)

Icon3 Season's Greetings from The Silver Shield (12th Edition)

Silver Shield 12th Edition

Seasons Greetings Total War Center!

Well I'm not sure how I ended up back here talking to you right now, but here I am! I want to give a big thank you to Subuatai de Bodemloze for managing our publication the last few rounds. He has been a tremendous help doing both interviews and art work. But as with any busy man running a household, working full time and keeping up with all the wonderful projects going on TWC something had to give. However Subu will remain on the team to continue his Gods of Modding features and hopefully more of the Graphic State of Affairs too.

Moving onward... for many of us both secular and religious tis the season for celebration and one of my personal favorite times of the year. It seems the snow has arrived just in the nick (no pun) of time in my neck of the woods. Two days before Christmas the flakes began to fall, and by Friday morning I awoke to my surroundings covered in a thick blanket of white. There's surely nothing like the crisp clear air to quench the lungs and arouse one's senses. Here you can see my work at shoveling a path for the watch dogs. You'll have to excuse the picture quality, it's dark out and I only have a 2 Mega pixel cam on my phone

Click to view content: 
    Now on to our current edition! Captain Henry Morgan (previously known to us as Vikingr) has a run down on four new mods which should provide some additional life to your Medieval II discs! Next Subu brings us another God of Modding for you to behold (worship is optional). After that Capt. Fozdike shines the Silver Spotlight on ♔Tango12345♔ of DarthMod Empire and his duties at TWC. Lastly we're re-running the spotlight interviews from Thanksgiving as I had promised them banners we lacked from last go

Once again Happy Holidays and may you follow through on your new years resolutions!

Edit: I sincerely apologize to Marcel for not mentioning his Creative Sessions, which we start this edition off with. Quite informative for you creative minds so be sure to give it a look too!

Armatus
    The Editor

12th Edition Staff
    Editor in Chief / Group Moderator Armatus
    Art Director Tzar
    Artist / Reporter Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Artist / Reporter Maяcel
    Reporter Captain Henry Morgan
    Reporter Capt. Fozdike

Contents
    Four new Medieval II mods on the scene by Captain Henry Morgan

Over at the Kingdoms Hosted Modifications section, four news mod have risen to receive hosted forums, today I'll provide some information on them all.

BattleAxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BattleAxe is a newly released mod which gives you a series of campaigns instead of the single old Grand Campaign. Instead of the one Grand campaign you now have three grand campaigns starting in 1140, 1240, and 1400. There are also a number of other smaller campaigns including British Isles, Baltic, Outremer, Balkans, Iberia, and Italia.
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6...ecampaigns.jpg

BattleAxe also add loads of new factions giving you a grand total of 28 playable factions.
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9...xefactions.jpg

Other features in BattleAxe include AOR units, more land bridges, more regions, and so on. Perhaps the most interesting part of BattleAxe is that diplomacy has been "axed" (thus where the name comes from I suppose), giving you an unending state of war. Many other features are also included which you can find by simply visiting the hosted forum and playing the mod.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1633

Shizoku no Sensō

Shizoku no Sensō in a mod and development which places you into the wars in Japan. Its almost like a warm up for Shogun 2 Total War, and it looks just as good!

Shizoku no Sensō covers the Sengoku period of the XV and XVI centuries, giving you the chance to play as one of the Japanese clans with a goal to unite Japan and become Shogun.

Shizoku no Sensō also has an entirely new list of factions.

The high quality of the units matches that of Rusichi Total War in my own opinion, and other sub mods improve the environment to give the mod a new fresh feeling.
    http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4751/0000l.png

The quality of the 2D art is also to be admired as you have already seen.

The new hosted forum is located in the link below. There is a thread in the forum which has a large preview, take a look and you won't be disappointed.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1650

Great Northern War

The simple explanation can be read under the title. "A Historical and Epic campaign featuring the realistic struggle between the two regional powers and their allies for the supremacy of the Baltic and eastern Europe."

Some of you may of heard of the "Great Northern War" before as the "Age of Enlightenment" which was a mod in progress hanging around the Wips, Ideas, and Proposals section. It takes place during the 18th century which could interest those who prefer M2TW over ETW but would like to experience the new era.

Proposed Factions:
    Prussia
    Russia
    Sweden
    Poland-Lithuania
    Ottomans
    Austria
    Denmark-Norway
    German States

You can view an early preview of the map here.

And here is the link to the forum.

And some lovely, lovely, eye candy.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/10p99ol.jpg
    http://i50.tinypic.com/25p21l3.jpg

Secession Civil War

Secession Civil War features custom and historical battles taking place during the struggle between the USA and the CSA between 1861 and 1865, and according to the FAQ thread, this mod is about to be released very soon!

So two factions, epic battles, American civil war. There is also a possibility for a campaign in the future apparently, and I think we all know that it would be spectacular.

Follow this link to the mods forum, where you will be able to find more information and some beautiful previews.

Maяcel's Creative Sessions

a Creative Session

Hello and welcome to this creative session. In this session well talk about UVW mapping, a long and boring task for any modeler, but it doesn't have to be!

First off, what the heck is UVW mapping! Well, UVW mapping is defining which parts of the texture go where on the 3D model. It is a process of making a model flat, and laying it out on the texture map. When doing this there are a couple of things to keep in mind, the most important things are:

1. No stretching. if you would put a checker map as texture for your model it should display as 'perfect' squares on your model, if you get rectangles then that area is stretched.(see Fig. 1) The results of this can be devastating, making your texture seem blurred and stretched.
    2. Use all the space you have.(see Fig. 2) The computer will still have to work equally hard when the texture map size stays the same and you only use half of it. Using as much of the texture map is of course pretty obvious, because it will often allow for more detail on the texture map when you use more of it.
    3. Keep everything on the same scale. if you want your whole model to have the same amount of quality/detail then everything must be in the same scale.(see fig. 3) This is mostly looking good, and trying to make those squares on your model be of the same size, this can be pretty tedious, or it can take a few lousy seconds if you have the right tools(more on that later)
    4. Hide those seams.(see Fig. 4) Seams are the edges where a uv-island ends, every part of a model cant be unwrapped(= a term for flattening the models texture coordinates) with every part of it connected to each other, this would often be impossible do without having stretching, and parts of the UVW map overlapping each other. Finding a good balance between the amount of seams, and amount of stretching is very important, especially in games like Medieval 2: Total War, where seams really break up the model, and causes ugly light issues.

Images

Fig. 1: Stretched UVW's on the shoulder.

Fig. 2: Lots of unused UVW space.

Fig. 3: Chest uses a lot more space compared to the other objects.

Fig. 4: Seam hidden on the underside of the arm.

When UVW mapping it is rarely possible to unfold the model perfectly flat, without stretching. It is often about finding the least amount of stretching possible, which means that you don't only need to think about hiding seams when you make them, but also think about how the model would unfold if you place the seam at that position.

There are a lot of way's you can unwrap a model, like flattening it op a plane(ie. X, Y, Z) Flattening it cylindrical, etc. these work best for what they say they are for, flat planes, cylinders, etc. with these tools it usually takes some time to make a good uvw map, because it can never really unwrap it in squares. When i started modeling, these tools however where the ones i used most, the reason is simple, they are easy, and i simply didn't know anything else. Since i learned the full power of pelt mapping, i rarely touch those other ways anymore. Pelt mapping takes your model, and flattens it, then it tries to create perfect squares, so you don't get any stretching. simple. but you need to place the seams yourself, while keeping in mind that it needs to be unfolded.

in 3Ds max you can create seams by selecting edges, and then pressing the 'Edge Sel To Seams' button in the 'Unwrap UVW' modifier.(see Fig. 5) this creates green lines, which indicate the seams. you can the press the 'pelt' button with the faces that need to be unwrapped selected, and start unwrapping.

In the 'Pelt Map' dialog that appears(see Fig. 6), you can then press 'Start Pelt' which completely flattens your selection, and then 'Start Relax' which tries to create as little stretching as it can. If you want, you can also use the relax feature straight from the edit UVWs panel, this way you can also apply one relaxation at a time. you can find this feature under the tools menu.

Images

Fig. 5: 'Unwrap UVW' modifier.

Fig. 6: 'Pelt Map' Panel.

Using this technique can save you a lot of time when making a UVW map, but it also leaves you with many uvw-islands, all of different size. It can be quite boring to scale them all to the same size, and because you have to do it by eyesight you will never get it really right, not that you need to, but it is good to start with. Luckily, for users of 3Ds max, there is an solution, Tex Tools is its name.

Tex Tools provides you with many tools you could've only dreamed of, such as 'Normalize UV shells', 'Pack UV's', and many others. just go over to the feature list on the Tex Tools website, and check out all the features it has. In order for many of the features to work, your model needs to be in Edit Poly mode, so if it wasn't already just convert it to Edit Poly, the UVW's should be saved, so you can add the Unwrap UVW modifier again without having to repeat what you've already done.
    The first thing you probably need to do after pelt mapping is cleaning up the UVW map by hand, fix those spots that the computer couldn't do properly. After that you will just need to put all of the objects into that texture map, starting by making them all the same size. To do this there is a nifty Tex Tool, 'Normalize UVW shells' This makes all the objects in your selection the same size, with the speed of light. There is nothing easier.

Images

Fig. 7: Before 'Normalize UVW shells'.

Fig. 8: After 'Normalize UVW shells' and 'Pack UV's'.

After this it will be a piece of cake to put everything in the texture map. Start with the biggest UV islands, And fill it up from there. You will probably need to select everything and scale it up or down a few times to fill up all that space. If you still have open space you should size some UV islands up, but make sure that it is worth it, don't scale up something tiny, or unimportant, scale up something that deserves that special attention. Another tool to help you pack all objects in the texture is the 'Pack UV's' feature, which packs all UV islands in the texture as good as possible.

Using Pelt mapping, and Tex Tools has significantly improved my workflow, spending 15 minutes on something that would take me an hour before. I hope you find Tex Tools useful too, and start pelt mapping if you haven't already.
    The Gods of Modding by Subuatai de Bodemloze

Milestones & Profile

"Aradan is the current Mod Leader and the Coding & Build Manager of The Fourth Age: Total War, Norman Invasion and Viking Invasion II. He started modding in spring 2007, as a beta tester for FATW, but gradually worked himself up and became a developer of the mod soon after. He has been part of several teams and a prominent figure of the RTW modding community since then."
    • On April 12, 2008, Joined the Consilium Belli.
    • On June 09, 2007, Aradan joins TWC.
    • On September 25, 2008, Elevated to the Hexagonal Council as Modders Representative and CA Liaison offices.
    • On November 15, 2008, Awarded the title of Opifex
    • On February 04, 2009, Awarded (4) 2008 Modding Awards
      • Best RTW Modder 2008
      • Best RTW Coder 2008
      • Best RTW Mentor 2008
      • Best RTW Scholar 2008
    • On September 28, 2009, Awarded the Golden Scribe's Quill.
    • On November 14, 2009, Awarded (3) 2009 Site Awards
      • Most Helpful Member 2009
      • Favourite Staff Member 2009
      • Most Helpful Staff Member 2009
    • On September 28, 2009, Awarded the Gold Moderator's Mace
    • On February 19, 2010, Awarded (2) 2009 Modding Awards
      • Scholars (RTW)
      • Mentor (RTW)
    • On June 7, 2010, Awarded the title of Divus

A list of most the mods Aradan has been part off.
    Tools and Resources

Interview
    Question 1 I would reckon most people on TWC know you or of you and in varying degrees have some idea of who you are. But for the sake of cutting to the heart of the myths would you care to divulge your pertinent information?
    My name's Bill and from Greece. I live in Athens and I am currently doing my Masters in Advanced Informatics Systems (which is almost as geeky as it sounds). In my spare time I riot.
    Question 2 Advanced Informatics Systems.. ok what’s that? Rioting... Very interesting.
    Well, it's about computing systems that use more advanced technology than the average ones. Surprising, I know. Getting into technical details about what a computing system is and what makes it advanced would be boring for most I think, so I'll skip them. As for rioting, well, it's the latest trend here in Greece, so I'm just going with the flow...
    Question 3 Is there a meaning behind your alias?
    'Aradan' is Sindarin (one of the languages Tolkien invented, for the non-Tolkien-geeks) for "royal/kingly/noble man", which is roughly what my real name means. This is why I first came to use it, ages ago when I joined FATW's original forums. It also stands for what I (very unsuccessfully) aspire to as a person, which is why I have kept it since and don't plan on changing it.
    Question 4 You been a member of TWC since 2007 yes? What brought you to these hallowed halls?
    Yes, that's right. I knew of the forum earlier than that, but I only visited to check modding tutorials, until mid-2007. At that time I had just become a developer of Fourth Age: TW, and the team maintained a subforum here in TWC, so I mostly joined to post there, answer fans' questions, help with installation problems, discuss ideas about the mod, that sort of thing.
    Question 5 How long have you been at the modding game? What mods are you or were you involved in?
    My first ever modding experience was in early 2007, when I joined FATW as a beta-tester, so I'm nearing 4 years(!) now.
    Question 6 What specific areas of modding are you involved in? And what drives your interest in those areas of modding?
    I am mainly a coder, meaning I do anything that has to do with text files except scripting. I am also a balancer, which means making sure everything in the mod is balanced and consistent with whatever internal rules are being used, and a mechanics researcher, which entails finding out exactly how every aspect of the game works and figuring out new ways to achieve things or ways to achieve new things altogether. However I had to learn to do other things as well such as mapping and 2d art (albeit at a very very crude level), because mappers and artists of all kinds are hard to come by when one is working on an engine that is perceived as old, like RTW.
    What interests me in these areas...? Hmm. Well, for starters I am art-disabled. Drawing a smudge is a task that requires all my abilities, so if I had to create a model or a skin or a banner, I would go crazy.
    Secondly, fiddling with code, balancing and game mechanics means that one can change how the game works with a few strokes on the keyboard, change the rules. And since game play is in my opinion the most important thing in a strategy game, being able to alter it is equally important.
    Question 7 Wow Aradan, looking over some of your threads that you started.. Your fingers are everywhere here on TWC. Do you have any accomplishments here on TWC that you are especially proud of?
    As a member of TWC's administration, I can't isolate one thing that I'd say was a great accomplishment; I generally performed tasks anyone in my position would, but performed them consistently and occasionally a few of them at the same time.
    If we're talking about my "modding career", I'm pretty proud of my still-WIP 'Beginner's RTW modding manual' and my work on NI and VI2, but my crowning achievement would definitely be FATW3. Our team has been working on it for many months, constantly trying to improve every single aspect of the game and then improve it again, find new ways to do things, push the limits further and further and then repeat it all until it gets as close to perfect as possible, and I'm happy -though not very modest- to say the end result is a mod that when released will be hands down the best ever for RTW. It is a labour of love, true, but participating in and leading such an ambitious project requires a tremendous amount of patience and effort, and I take great pride in having been up to the task so far.
    Question 8 How do you see the future of modding the TW series?
    To be honest, bleak. RTW is still far from dead and M2TW hasn't yet shown its full possibilities, but they are slowly getting old and outdated and will inevitably be left behind eventually. That wouldn't be a problem, were it not for CA's policy of making the latest installments of the series unmoddable, for whatever reasons. The harder it is to edit the game's files, the harder it is to mod obviously, and the more unlikely to see major mods being developed.
    If CA keep locking their games and not providing modders with tools or at the very least some documentation, then the TW modding community will stagnate and "die of old age", as the new generations of modders will be smaller and smaller and their projects less and less different from vanilla.
    You can observe this trend easily if you check TWC's released hosted mods sections; at the time of writing this, there are 47 RTW major mods with extreme variety, ranging from Ancient Greece to Napoleonic Wars and from China to Middle-earth, 44 M2TW ones mostly about vanilla M2/Kingdoms timeframe/setting but with some exceptions, 11 ETW mods limited to reskins, stat-changes and sound effects and 9 NTW ones along the same lines.
    To sum it up, unmoddable games = dead community, inevitably. I hope this isn't the future, but at this point it seems the most likely probability.
    Question 9 Are you going to play S2: TW? What are you looking forward to the most?
    That's a tough question. I like the direction CA claims to be taking this time, focusing on a smaller region with a single culture, few factions and few units, putting more emphasis on detail. It will hopefully allow them to focus on improving the game play and the bad AI that's been plaguing the series since RTW. That said, ETW and NTW were a disappointment, so I will certainly not be buying the game as soon as it is released. I made that mistake with ETW and I'm not making it twice. Since press reviews are apparently not to be trusted, I will wait for player's reviews and then make up my mind according to what I read.
    What I'm most looking forward to in Shogun2 is seeing quality and innovation. A stable, bug-free game with new, challenging and interesting game play and a solid AI. High hopes, and we've been promised these things a lot of times only to be let down, but maybe this time things will be different.
    Question 10 Do you have any advice for new or future modders?
    I sure do.
    Modding, like any other creative process, requires patience and determination. Patience to master new skills or improve existing ones and determination to not be put off by failures. If you don't have these two qualities, you might want to spend your time somehow else to avoid getting frustrated and giving up after a while.
    If you are just starting or planning on starting modding, begin not by creating your own project, but by editing an existing mod or vanilla. Start with changing simple things that dissatisfy you - a unit stat, a unit skin, a region on the map, a building effect, whatever you feel more comfortable with. Learn how to do one thing at a time and then expand and combine that knowledge in order to be able tackle more complex matters. Also, very important, get used to reading tutorials and using the "search" function. The questions you want to ask have most likely already been asked a hundred times before and they have a known answer, which is waiting for you to find it.
    If you do want to create your own mod, there are some basics you should keep in mind:
    1. Plan before you start. Is the engine you'll be modding suitable for the mod you're planning? Can you mod the engine well enough? What will your project require in terms of team-members, resources and work? Do you have enough resources and manpower to complete it? Are you willing to personally put in the many hours required to do it and do most of the work yourself? If the answer to any of the above is no, your project will most likely never be released, so it would be better to either come up with another concept or find more resources.
    2. Start small. Don't try to put as many features as possible in the mod at the first go. Focus on a small part of your map, factions, cultures and features first and make sure you do that well. You can expand after the first release or when this first part has been completed. Dozens of mods died weeks after they were started, when their teams suddenly realized they had bitten more than they could chew. Save yourself the time and effort by setting attainable goals.
    3. Keep yourself motivated. During development set a series of sub-goals and make it your mission to complete one at a time.
    4. be committed. Mods require lots of time, lots of effort and lots of willpower to get done. You started that mod knowing that, so if you want to finish it, you will have to bite the bullet.
    5. Have fun. If it gets to a point when modding becomes a chore, you're doing something wrong. Take a break and re-evaluate your approach. Remember why you started the mod in the first place and try to focus on doing work that satisfies you.
    Question 11 Do you have any final comments?
    FATW rules!!!
    Oh, and thanks for this opportunity to bore people to the death! It was fun doing it.
    Cheers!
    Thank you very much Aradan, it has been a slice. Cheers.

Links of IntrestAradan's Profile - Link

Silver Spotlight on ♔Tango12345♔ by Capt. Fozdike

Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the next issue of the esteemed Silver Shield. This month we've managed to corner ♔Tango12345♔ for an interview on DarthMod Empire and his Tango's duties on TWC. So, for your enjoyment and entertainment, here he is!

Tango12345
    1) When and how did you find TWC?
    If I remember correctly it was June/July 2009. A friend had told me about a brilliant mod he had for RTW (RS I think), so I thought it couldn't hurt to have a look. Looking back now, I find it hard to believe I honestly had no idea what a mod was!

2) Were you a resident lurker for a while? What made you join up?
    I lurked for a little bit, but then I wanted to ask a question in an ETW mod thread, so I signed myself in.

3) What subforums do you manage?
    The DarthMod Empire forum

4) What are the things you like most about being a Local Moderator?
    Spam blasting...Nah just kidding, to be honest I can't quite put my finger on it. Having a measure of authority in the forums is good-sometimes people actually listen to what I say!

5) Do you think Local Moderators should be given a badge of their own like Staff Moderators?
    It would be nice, but I'm hardly going to push for it, a local mod shouldn't need a fancy banner to be able to get on with the job.

6) What first got you into modding games?
    Like I said above, trying out RS for the first time made vanilla RTW so incredibly boring. ETW followed on from there-I tried APE:TI, IS and then DarthMod, and was hooked!

7) Why did you first join DarthMod?
    If I had to put a date on it, it would be April 19 2009, when I was given access to the DM dev forum, I'd already been a beta tester for a while before that though.

8) What is your role as a team member for DarthMod Empire?
    Mainly support and beta testing, though I also give a lot of useless advice in the sub-mod forums as well (if Okmin, Fortes and Matrixstorm read this they will know exactly what I mean)

9) What are your aspirations and plans on TWC?
    Get involved in content in some way-most likely the wiki, since it seems to be my kind of thing. I'd like to go for the citizenship as well at some point, but other than that I don't know.
    Silver Spotlight on Rebel Jeb
    Spotlight on Rebel Jeb

About your name?

My name originates from Jeb Stuart, the Confederate Cavalry General. My brother and I were making Xboxlive accounts in the past, and he was trying to come up with an original Confederate name, so I came up with the idea to tack Jeb onto the end. Shortly after I created mine replacing Confederate with Rebel and it stuck so I used it on TWC as well.

Country

United States of America (Eastern Coast)

March 15th, 2008

Subforms Managed

Star Wars Roleplaying Gateway, Mafia Sub-forum

Other Duties

Currently managing the Mafia sub-forum.

Political Leaning

Libertarian, Right-wing.

Is there a God

Yes.

How did you find TWC?

My brother found it through searching and recommended it to me.

What Total War games do you own?

Rome, Medieval 2, Barbarian Invasion, Kingdoms

What do you like about Total War?

I really enjoy choosing a certain select general or two and working to make them great. Usually their picture or name makes me decide which.

What Total War theme would you like CA to release in the future?

I'd like to see another Rome: Total War. I love the factions, tactics, and general feel to that time period.

What are your future plans (TWC, Life, Work?)

On TWC I plan to maintain the Mafia subforum and keep it neat and active. I hopefully will one day apply to become a Citizen. I am working in school, and in a few years will apply for college, which will take up and involve a large chunk of my lifetime. I volunteer at a Science Center in my area. It has a large zoological park attached to it, where I volunteer, working with the animals and showing them to kids.

Advice to Impart?

A little about me, I'm an avid gamer. Though I'm one of the only people here who doesn't really play Totalwar Games (What's wrong with me?!?! I will say that I enjoy TA: TW though, you guys are awesome! ), I love console games and MMO's. I've played World of Warcraft and Runescape mostly in the past, and am awaiting Star Wars: The Old Republic. I love shooters and RPGs on my Xbox 360, and also play my Wii from time to time for strategy and RPG games like Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem.

I love animals. Chinchillas are awesome. FACT!

I shall now shamelessly advertise for myself and others about the Mafia subforum. Mafia is a forum game that is different each game played, depending on the rules the host, or game creator and moderator, of the game sets up. The basic rules normally involve at least two groups. The good group, the townies, verses the bad group, the mafia. The game's idea is simply an uneducated majority verses an educated minority. Each day in game, the players will vote to lynch, or eliminate, somebody. After day, night commences, where many things can happen, normally involving the mafia killing a player. The goal for the town is to have all of the mafia die. The goal for the mafia is to stay alive long enough for there to be an equal or more amount of mafia than town.

It's a very fun game and experience. I would recommend anyone to check it out!

Before I wrap this up, I'd like to give a nice, big applause for the other local moderators. Even though I don't know many of you, I appreciate what you do and respect you for it. Clap clap good sirs, keep up the great work.

Silver Spotlight on cpdwane

Spotlight on cpdwane

About your name? It's derived from my initials.

Subforms Managed: The Punic Total War subforum (of which Sicilian Wars is a part.) I'm the team leader of Sicilian Wars

Other Duties

I'm doing all the skinning for the next version of The Greek Wars, and I am also working on a submod for Europe in Conflict

Political Leaning

All the parties in this country seem the same to me, so I don't really lean towards any of them. I don't think this is a bad thing though, as it shows how comparatively little in our country needs changing, and how well suited to it's role our government is. So yeah, I'm centre ground.

Is there a God?

Yes, although I can't say much about him for certain. I'm a Roman Catholic but I don't think I'll ever be able to believe completely in the whole of Catholic teaching. I'm far too questioning a person.

How did you find TWC?

I found out about the RTR mod from a wikipedia article about 2.5 years ago, which then led me to this site. After that I was lurking as a guest for more then a year before signing up.

What Total War games do you own?

All, apart from the original Shogun TW.

What do you like about Total War?

The fact that, although it is not perfect by any means, it is still the most easily accessible yet realistic depiction of the way a real general or nation would fight campaigns, while at the same time being a fun game.

What Total War theme would you like CA to release in the future?

Hellenistic or Classical Greece is an absolute MUST at some point in the future, especially as the new naval system in S2TW will represent Trireme warfare perfectly with only minor adjustments. I'd rather not just see a straight sequal to Rome in the same manner as S2TW is a sequel to STW, as I don't think vanilla RTW was strong enough game at it's core.

What are your future plans (TWC, Life, Work?)

To post more in the Discussion and debate sections, for a start; I'm still in state funded education at the moment but when I leave I plan to study either Ancient History or Marine Biology at University. I'm very interested in Tropical fishkeeping at the moment so maybe there's a career in that for me.

Advice to Impart?

When it comes to modding, if you want to start a mod, don't think that you can get other people to do the work for you; have a go yourself, it's much easier then you think!
    The Silver Shield Classifieds

MEDIEVAL II KINGDOMS
    De Bello Gallico

Mod Overview

De Bello Gallico is a Roman Era modification, covering Caesars' Gallic Wars. We wish to bring this exciting series of wars to the M2K engine. The main campaign will follow Caesar as he brings the whole of Gaul to its knees, and eventually his march to Rome, and the end of the Roman Republic.

Mod Information

Platform: M2TW Kingdoms

Main Forum: Link

Developers Profile: Link

Positions Available

Jobs available:

1. Modellers

2. Historians/Researchers

3. Mappers

These are the main positions we are recruiting on, but we are also looking for people on all other fronts.

Modellers:

Requirements: Knowledge of lowpoly and or highpoly modeling.

The job: creation of new equipment, and or creation of strat map models

Historians:

Requirements: interest in history of the gallic wars.

The job: reading, making summaries for the team, thinking about implementation of ideas, finding material for new units

Mappers:

Requirements: Ability to create a campaign map

The job: Adding regions to our current campaign map, as well as adding different landscape features such as mountains, rivers, and ground types.

BROKEN CRESENT 3.0
    Mod Overview

Broken Crescent a mod legendary in name has begun development on it's next version. The limits of map, factions, and units will be reached as BC will be ported to MEII Kingdoms. A new team has been assembled, but more talented modders are needed.

569 years have passed since the Hijra.
    The world of Islam is divided.
    The crescent is broken.
    From the shores of the Bahr al-Rum to the Hindustan, from the Bilar al-Saqaliba to the Bilad al-Barbar – there is perpetual war raging.
    The war for fame. The war for land and riches. The war for souls.
    Muslim steel drinks Muslim blood with just the same
    willingness as it drinks blood of Kuffar.
    This cannot be!
    Will you bring an end to this chaos, my Sultan? Will you bring peace to this realm of human misery?
    Will you succeed, my Lord?
    Inshallah!
    But sleep light, oh Mighty one! For there is an envious dagger lurking in the darkness of Your court!

The Broken Crescent 3.0 team would like to present to you the first new preview after the BC 2.0 release! It is rather a pre-preview, a foretaste of what we want to include in next major version of the mod, but we hope that what we present now is satisfying enough to support our efforts.
    We all are very happy that we can further improve Broken Crescent – which is already one of the greatest modifications of Medieval 2 Total War! We would like to underline the fact that we are continuing the work of other great modders, who did very much to give us this exceptional piece of work called Broken Crescent. Many thanks to them!
    However, there are lots of wonderful things to be included in a mod, and Broken Crescent lacks many of them. Looking at our plans one could think that we intend to make a completely new mod.
    Indeed, the list of things to implement is quite long and our plans are bold.
    One would ask: what is the scope of further development?
    Roughly speaking it is:
    1. New, bigger and more detailed map.
    2. New factions.

Mod Information
    Broken Cresent 3.0 will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    wudang_clown
    Y2day
    OpiumGhost79

Positions currently available
    Jobs available:

1. Coders [vacancy]

2. Modellers [vacant!]

3. Texturers [vacant!]

4. Historians/Researchers [vacant!]

Coding:

Requirements: knowledge about coding syntax, relation between various text files and knowledge about game factors influenced by changes in text files...

The job: creation of traits&ancillaries system, faction specific campaigns, events, changes in recruitment system, buildings-effects system, economic system, military supply system, etc. in collaboration with researchers.

Modellers:

Requirements: experienced modeler.

The job: creation of new units or/and strat map models.

Texturers:

Requirements: experienced texturer, good 2d art skills.

The job: creation of textures for new units or/and strat map models, elements of UI.

Historians:

Requirements: interest in history of India, Central Asia, Middle East, North-Western Africa, Anatolia, interest in medieval Asian warfare + up to 10 hours of spare time a week.

The job: reading, making summaries for the team, thinking about implementation of ideas, finding material for new units
    ROAD TO JERUSALEM 4.0
    Mod Overview
    Road to Jerusalem: A mod for Kingdoms focusing on the Crusades. Featuring completely new units, factions and much more, in three seperate campaigns. A mod legendary in name and the first big mod for Medieval 2 began development on version 4.0 nearly year ago. The Mod based on Rammstein's vision as all previous version were done by him. We have assembled a new team and are finished near 70% of mod to date. But more talented modders are needed to help finish. Become a part of a legend. Road to Jerusalem 4.0 needs you!

Mod Information
    RTJ 4.0 will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    master zuma
    sinople
    y2day

Positions currently available
    Jobs available:

1. Modellers [5 vacancy]

2. Texturers [5 vacancy!]

4. Historians/Researchers [vacant!]

Modellers:

Texturers:

The job: creation of textures for new units or/and strat map models, elements of UI.
    DOMINION OF THE SWORD
    Mod Overview
    Dominion of the Sword is an ambitious project aimed at making a Super-mod, we have a large team made up of several contributing mods as well as our own dedicated staff. The mod aims to maximize the possibilities in the M2TW engine to make a game with realism, historical accuracy and playability. Most of all we are concentrating on an atmospheric and fully immersible experience of medieval warfare and rulership.

Mod Information
    Dominion will be available for Medieval 2 kingdoms
    LINK TO MAIN FORUM
    LINK TO MOD LEADER(s)
    Hross
    Alkidas
    Azim
    Copperknickers II
    Resurrection
    Subuatai de Bodemloze
    Sumskils

Positions available
    Jobs available:

1. Coders [1 vacancy]

2. Modellers [vacant!]

3. Texturers [vacant!]
    Examples

Coding:

Requirements: knowledge about coding syntax, relation between various text files and knowledge about game factors influenced by changes in text files...

The job: creation of traits&ancillaries system, faction specific campaigns, events, changes in recruitment system, buildings-effects system, economic system, military supply system, etc. in collaboration with researchers.

Modellers:

Texturers:

Rome Total War
    INVASIO BARBARORVM : VLTIMVS ROMANORVM

INVASIO BARBARORVM : VLTIMVS ROMANORVM

MOD OVERVIEW:
    Amidst the Ruins of the Western Roman Empire, a new hero has emerged; Flavius Aetius and his Roman Legions will bring Rome to it's former glory once more. But a new threat looms just over the horizon; Attila and his Huns are currently ravaging the Balkans, but when will he turn west to betray a years old friendship? Experience the Internal conflict between Aetius and Bonifacius, ravage Africa as the Vandals, or reenact Aetius' legendary victories over the barbarians as the Western Roman Empire. This new mod features Aetius, Attila, Gaiseric, Theodoric, and many other new leaders, along with new units, factions, and buildings covering from 429 - 461 AD.

MOD INFORMATION:
    Platform: Rome Total War: Alexander (Invasio Barbarorum : Rio's Flagellum Dei : Beyond Roman Glory IV transfer)
    Mod Co-Leaders: Magister Militae Flavius Aetius, hannibalcaesar
    Mod Forum: INVASIO BARBARORVM : VLTIMVS ROMANORVM (IBUR) (ALEX.EXE)
    Positions Availible:

1. Mappers [vacant]

Mapping:
    Requirements: Ability to create new regions, place cities, and terrain features
    The Job: Terrain, cities, and regions

2. Modelling and Skinning [1 position]

3D Modelling/Skinning
    Requirements: Advanced knowledge of 3D modelling and/or skinning
    The Job: Units, Ships, Buildings

PM me or Hannibalcaesar if you wish to join.

Fortuna Orbis

Mod Overview
    Fortuna Orbis is an RTR Submod, which is improving the RTR6 campaign to bring it up to FoE and VII standards and beyond by introducing many new techniques with our own twist to it. At the same time, we are introducing a new map and many new units.

The campaign starts in 267 BC, and the world lies on the brink of war. In the West, tensions are rising between Rome and Carthage. In the East, the Ptolemies and Seleucids are eying each other up - peace won't last long. The smaller nations will try and take advantage of their strife, and carve out Empires of their own. And in Greece, a Macedon re-emerging from 50 years of costly wars is now embroiled in another war - Chremonides of Athens is trying to unite the Greek states to bring Macedon to heel.

On the Far East of the map is the Mauryan Empire. Hoping to capture this Empires splendour and power accurately, we have created a new faction rooster, and compiled together over 200 names (including womens' names and surnames).

The Fate of the World hangs in the balance. It is in your hands.

Mod Information
    Platform: RTW - BI
    Main Forum: Fortuna Orbis
    Mod Leader: Caligula Caesar

Positions available
    Jobs available:

1. Coders

2. Modellers

3. Texturers

4. Historians/Researchers

Coding:

Modellers:

Requirements: Experienced modeller, or a willingness to learn.

The job: Creation of new units, possibly buildings, and stratmap models

Texturers:

Requirements: Experienced texturer, good 2d art skills.

The job: Creation of splash screens and new units and other such things

Historians:

Requirements: Interest in and knowledge of the history of... anything between India and Iberia in the relevant period.

The job: Reading, making summaries for the team, thinking about implementation of ideas, finding material for new units, and if you want, taking part in the production.

© The Silver Shield a publication of the Total War Center local moderators organization: The Silver Auxilia

Last edited by Armatus; December 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: Season's Greetings from The Silver Shield (12th Edition)

Nice job team!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Yeah a couple technicalities and slip ups later, here we are again!

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Well done!

Nirnaeth Arnoediad's Avatar Vive l'Empereur !

Interesting news. Good interviews (I particularly liked the Aradan's one).

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Good work guys! I especially enjoyed the interview with Aradan!

Ok somehow the TWC publication banners got removed I put them back.

I'm really rusty so many corrections today, thanks for not noticing

And made a brief edit on Marcel's Creative sessions which I failed to mention! Really great piece there!
    Last edited by Armatus; December 25, 2010 at 11:37 PM.

Haas's Avatar Miles

u da man armatus

Thanks, and Thanks all

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Very nice edition.
    To bad that after 3 years of existance CBUR and after two years of development TGC mods never presented here...
    Any way..Its good to see all these news about modding!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

We can fix that! Weren't you guys featured in the ES ever?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    We can fix that! Weren't you guys featured in the ES ever?
    Never...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Tears of Destiny's Avatar Senator

Great work!
    [Insert shameless plug-in here about if you want to never miss an ES publication ever, you can sign up for the TWC Twitter]

I also want to give kudos to whomever is the Graphical artist for the lead graphic, it looks properly warm for the Holiday Cheer. Classy, too, well done.

Very nice!
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Product Designer

great edition! I'm regenerating for a rep spree, comming soon in a control panel near you!
    Last edited by Maяcel; January 04, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop