Thread: a story I wrote (long)

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default a story I wrote (long)

I once wrote a story called "a scythian tale" and people seemed to like it. My sister nagged me that I should try a longer one and so I did. She wants to bundle it and see if a magazine or something similar might be interested, but before that I'd like you people to tell me if it's anny good and if some things need improvement.

here goes:

Some explanation in advance

This story is based on a campaign from the game Rome total war by the Creative Assembly a company we should all pray to on a daily base since they revolutionized the RTS genre of gaming and made a fun mix of historical accuracy and gameplay. (They didn’t do too great when it comes to historical accuracy, I admit but many modders fixed that, like the geniuses from the Rome total realism mod)
    I wanted this story to look like it was an actual journal written by the generals in the roman war machine. One of the means I am using to achieve this is by discarding of the BC/AD calendar we use now. Instead I count using the AUC calendar. AUC means “Ab Urbe Condita” and means: “from the founding of the city” nobody really knows when Rome was founded exactly but the traditional date for the founding of Rome of April 21, 753 BC was initiated by Varro. In practice the Romans typically dated events from the reign year of the current ruler (during the republic a consul had a term of a single year).
    A new study claims that the Varronian date is superseded. Its correctness has not been proved scientifically but it is used worldwide. The foundation of Rome took place 437 years after the capture of Troy (1182 BC), according to Velleius Paterculus (VIII, 5). It took place shortly before an eclipse of the Sun that was observed at Rome on June 25, 745 BC and had a magnitude of 50.3%. Its beginning occurred at 16:38, its middle at 17:28, and its end at 18:16. Varro may have used the consular list with its mistakes, and called the year of the first consuls "245 Ab Urbe Condita" (a.u.c.). He may have accepted the 244-year interval from Dionysius of Halicarnassus for the kings after the foundation of Rome. Some modern historians claim that an era "Ab Urbe Condita" (from the founding of the city of Rome) did not, in reality, exist in the ancient world, and the use of reckoning the years in this way is modern.
    (Source: wikipedia)
    One can argue that my usage of the Ab Urbe Condita is outdated and has no scientific backing but I prefer it over BC/AD since Roman generals born in 300 BC wouldn’t use BC as they wouldn’t even know they where born 300 years before Christ since he hadn’t even been born yet. Therefore using AUC seems more logical to me. Unless you feel like looking up every consul that ever reigned and writing down the name of each consular year and emailing it to me so I can be more realistic in this story, please do not email me to state the obvious about the correctness of my usage of AUC.
    Everything in this story is fiction with a historical setting, the names are coincidental and so is the order in wich lands are conquered. Some historical things in this story did happen however. Gaius Marius really did reform the roman army as described and the manipular legion really existed before the reforms. My description of the lorica segmentata is accurate. And there really was a Roman civil war! Gaius Iulius Caesar and Pompeius Magnus really did fight each other after Caesar crossed the Rubicon River and marched for Rome with his army. The fact that I have a Gaius Iulius character in my story is a nice coincidence and it was a very pleasant surprise for me and I decided to adjust my story a bit in service of this great man. (A funny note about this is that when he came of age in the game. The date on the day I was playing was actually March 15! Now isn’t it ironic that on the ides of March I am playing this game and a man named Gaius Iulius suddenly joins my faction!) I hope you enjoy reading this story and please send your feedback/praise mail/ hate mail/I want to have your babies mail/marry me mail/die you bastard mail to: Yo_el_Padrino@hotmail.com
    prologue
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The year is 483 Ab Urbe Condita, the place: Latium. Much had changed since Aenas, the great hero who had survived the tragedy of the Trojan war arrived here. His descendants Romulus and Remulus founded the city of Rome, a city wich had to endure many hardships and wars with the Etruscans and the Samnites and many other Latin people. But the city also prospered and slowly took firm control of Latium and its people. The Etruscans and the Samnites have been defeated. And a man named Brutus has driven out the Tarquini kings after pretending to be a madman for many years. Rome is now ruled by a senate. A senate wich is assisted by 3 great roman families. In the south the house of Scipio a noble family of aristocrats protects Rome from the Carthaginians and the Greeks. To the southeast is the house of Brutus the wealthiest family in all of latium and a proud family who think all Romans should respect them because it was Brutus who drove out the Tarquinii. In the north is my house. The house of Iulius. We are not noble nor are we wealthy we are patricians, representatives of the common people the labourers and the peasants. We protect Rome from the barbarian hordes in the north. There is not much glory in fighting the Gauls, they have no great city’s and are nothing more then barbarian tribes who lack any form of civilisation. They should not be taken too lightly tough. We must never forget that the great Gallic king Brennus once took Rome and besieged the senators on the capitol. No! Never must we forget nor forgive what these barbarians did! Our duty is important it will never bring us the glory and wealth that could be found in fighting Greeks and Carthaginians but we shall do our duty nonetheless.

The Carthaginians are a barbaric people who give human sacrifice to there gods and have managed to tame great beasts called elephants and use them in battle. These Carthaginians aren’t the only threat in the south, the Greeks have a colony on the island of Sicily. The Greeks, once the mightiest and most civilised in the world have lost much of their former glory. And all they are capable of now is blabber over days gone by when the great Achilles Herakles and Alexander the Macedonian walked the earth. They are all dead now however and the Greeks have no more heroes. No! The time of the Greeks is over and a new people are to rise up out of the shadow and claim the world.

My name is Flavius Iulius and these are the accounts of my family’s struggle to defend Rome in these troublesome times.

I have been ordered by the wise men of the senate to take the settlement of Segesta to ensure the prosperity and safety of Rome.

I marched for the settlement of Segesta, and as expected these slaves and peasants where easy to conquer. I had 2 cohorts of Hastati 1 cohort of triari spearman and 1 archer cohort with me. I made the army march for the northern entrance of the enemy settlement and rain arrows upon them. And as they engaged to attack the archers. The Hastati would throw their pilae and drive them back. In the mean time I marched around the settlement and as I attacked the enemy’s rear my Hastati and triari ran forward and attacked their front, encircling and slaying them all. None of them survived. My victory tastes somewhat bitter however as I have lost 6 brave Hastati in battle and now I must inform their families of the death of their beloved brothers and sons.

The settlement however is taken and its command and management have been given to me by the wise and generous men of the senate. If I can have a few years of peace I will make my provinces prosper.

Winter 483 AUC

My victory has made some sort of impression on the Gauls. They had come to ask for trade rights between their people and us Romans. Trade between Gauls and Romans! Ha! I would have taken his head if only the senate would have allowed it. I hate these Gauls they smell, they are cruel and they are hairy beyond reason. If I had my way I would slaughter them to the last man. The senate however in its wisdom decided that trade would benefit the empire and so I smiled at this creature that is supposed to resemble a man and said to him: we shall have trade my hairy friend and here is a personal gift from me. And as I gave him a razor blade and explained him that all civilized people use this to shave the obnoxious hairs in ones face he stared at me and I could sense in him the same hate for us civilized people as I feel for them. The Gauls will trouble us one day. I am sure of it.

Ah it seems I can not get a moment of peace. The senate has just ordered me to take the settlement of Caralis. My task of protecting the northern borders is hard enough as it is and now I am expected to wage war with Carthaginians. There is much glory to be found in a war against Carthage this is true, but I have provinces to manage and I need my armies here in case the Gauls attack.

Summer 484 AUC

I have decided to send Vibius Iulius my youngest son to Caralis and he has just boarded the ships, he is a skilled bureaucrat and a good commander his talent in mathematics and his bureaucracy and political talents will be invaluable in managing the city and keeping order after he conquers it. He took with him 3 units of Hastati and will enlist some mercenaries as support as soon as he will leave the ships and land on the island of Sardinia. I have complete faith in my sons abilities. I just hope the Scipii will keep the Carthaginians too busy so they won’t send an army to retake Caralis as it would mean certain death for my beloved son.

The brutii in the mean time, have declared war on the Greek city’s and I fear the senate will force my family to get involved in that war as well. It seems as if the lives of the simple Iulii are worth less then the lives of the rich and noble families.

Summer 485 AUC

Good news has reached my ears today as I have been told that Spain and Carthage are now at war with each other. I am quite certain that the Carthaginians are now incapable of raising a big army and sending it to Caralis. My son took the settlement and will turn it in to a prospering city and I shall smile as I speak proudly of his achievements against the senators who take our lives so easily.

His victory was complete, he entered the settlement from 3 directions and before charging the enemy he had his Hastati and mercenary peltasts throw their pilae and kill a quarter of the enemies forces after that he ordered the hoplite mercenaries he enlisted to advance on what was left of the enemy when the Carthaginians started to panic he charged them from all directions and killed them to the last man losing only 4 soldiers.

Caralis is an important settlement and will eventually end up as an important trading city that will bring my house and our great republic large amounts of deinari.

Winter 485 AUC

My daughter fadia is marrying Tertius Plaudius a young man of only 16 years old but he has proven his abilities and she couldn’t have married this man at a better time. The Senate has requested that I bring the Gallic city of Patavium under Roman control and will make Tertius assist me in accomplishing this.

Summer 486 AUC

I have begun preparations for the war with the Gauls I have send Tertius to travel the country and gather an army of mercenaries to support my army of Hastati. An army that I am currently raising. Meanwhile Arminius Iulius the son of Quintus Iulius has been send to the north of Aretium to build a fort in the small passage between the mountains that are acting as a natural wall of defence for our great people. The only weakness we have now is the poorly defended city of Arimium.

Summer 488 AUC

Not much has happened these past 2 years. The German and Briton barbarians are at war with each other but this is none of Rome’s concerns. Meanwhile I have left Aretium with an army of 4 units of Hastati and 1 Velite unit. Tertius has joined my army but unfortunately he could not recruit more then 1 unit of Samnites but there is no time left. The senate gave us 5 years to take the city and 2 have passed already. It is a long march and who knows what obstacles we may encounter?

And so I Flavius Iulius assisted by Tertius Plaudius Iulius have departed to start war with Gaul may the senate take note of our efforts and look upon my family with great honour.

After a march of 6 months we reached the city of Patavium and as we prepared to lay siege on it, the Gallic faction heir Epoderorix came to the aid of his brother Lugotorix. And we where forced to do battle just outside the city. They entered the battlefield from 2 sides so I made the main army march for Lugotorix as Tertius and I charged Epoderorix. After a short battle we managed to kill all his bodyguards and the Gallic prince fled whilst Tertius chased him. I decided to make the battle a bit easier for the men so I charged the Gallic main army from behind. But I had made a judgement error and soon their cavalry and the other Gallic prince Lugotorix encircled me and all but 1 of my loyal bodyguards where slain. The gods must favour me for they gave Tertius the insight to break of his chase and come to my aid and soon the Gallic cavalry fled and Lugotorix was slain. When the Gauls saw that 1 prince was fleeing and their other prince lay dead on the ground they lost all taste for battle and Tertius and I chased them and killed all but 30 Gauls. Patavium was taken without any problems after this battle as it made our enemies realize just how mighty the roman armies are. Surely a fine day to be roman.

The senate however have decided that my family should know no rest and demanded we send a fleet to the city of Sparta and blockade their port. They want us to risk Iulii blood to assist Scipii and Bruutii but do not ask them to come to our aid and spill their blood. And slowly I’m beginning to doubt the wisdom of our senators.

Summer 492 AUC

4 quiet years have gone by and I have spend them on starting building projects in all of the settlements under the rule of my family. And the Gauls have come to ask for a peace. Ha those barbarians had the nerve to demand I give them Patavium back! I looked at this insolent Gaul and told him: “Vae victis!” These are the words a Gallic general named Brennus once spoke to the senators of Rome and now I shall speak them to you! You insolent barbarian how dare you come before me and make demands! You can have your peace if you crawl before me and kiss my ring. And I demand that you give my mapmakers detailed information about all of Gaul and if you do not yield to these demands I shall march my armies out of this city and unleash the fury of Rome upon all of Gaul! Instead of peace you shall have death and slavery!

The Gaul looked at me and I saw the fear in his eyes that all men should have for Roman resolution. He yielded to my demands and not only will we have more quiet peaceful years. We now know the exact location of all the Gallic city’s and this will make conquering these barbarian beasts much easier.

The fool! He should have realised that it would take at least 10 years to raise an army large enough to conquer his pathetic lands and it would strain our economy too much. Not because of the battles but because it would be hard to find their settlements and we would have to march slowly because we did not know the lands. But now.... If the senate would allow it I would conquer them whit in 5 years thanks to this weakling.

494 AUC

I am growing bored and I feel I have a certain hunger for battle and glorious conquest. The senate has expressed it’s gratitude for our efforts for the republic but have not asked me to do any more battles for them. My diplomats having had contact with the German tribes and given information about their lands have made me notice something interesting. There is a settlement to the north east called Lovosoice that is not claimed by any nation and acts like an independent city state. It is at a very strategic location as it borders on Gallic Germanic and Macedonian lands. I am taking half my army in Patavium and will march for that settlement and conquer it. This will also be a good test of the senates resolve. If they stop me then it is clear that no personal glory is allowed to the Iulii and it would be foolish to defy the senate. If however they allow me to take this settlement. It may lead to a path of glory for the Iulii if our family wanders it wisely and with prudence.

Summer 496 AUC

Is this world filled with cowards and weaklings? A Gallic barbarian came to me offering trade between our people but demanded Patavium back. I once again told him I would unleash death upon Gaul if he would not give us trade rights and he was very hasty to accept my proposal.

Then, and this is what shocked me, a Greek diplomat came to me asking for peace. I decided to test this Greek and told him. “The Greeks can have their peace if they atone for the crimes committed to the people of Aenas the father of all Romans. We shall avenge the city of Aenas by demanding that you give us 1000 deinari and the city of Thermon. If you do not accept these terms I shall march my legions towards Athens and burn it to the ground.

The Greek strangely accepted my terms and gave me a city and the money needed to raise a garrison in the city to maintain law and order.

The old and feeble “wise men” of the senate however have decided that Iulii blood should now be spilled in a war between the house of Iulius and Macedon. This angers me since it is the Brutii who started a war with the Macedonians and this should not be our war.

Winter 496 AUC

Curse these Greeks for they are traitors they have already broken the peace and are laying siege on Thermon, those treacherous dogs.
    As dark as this day may be however there is also good news for I have conquered Lovosoice and the senate allowed it. Giving me a stronghold in a strategic location as well as a small opening to more glorious paths. Yes all is not dark on this day. And our youngest family member Marcus Iulius who has just turned 16 has been ordered to sail to Thermon to come to its defence, or reconquer it. If it has been lost by the time he arrives there. He is accompanied by 1 unit of Samnite warriors and will recruit mercenaries along the way. If he is successful I shall name him my heir.

Summer 497 AUC

Marcus has arrived at Thermon and he enlisted 2 hoplite units 1 unit of Cretean archers and 2 peltast units as mercenaries. And behold as he marched for the Greek armies threatening to take Thermon from us, the Greeks showed just how cowardly they are and at the mere sight of this young noble and strong roman they lifted the siege and fled. I have rewarded him by naming him my Heir and he shall lead our family after I leave this world and travel to Elysium.

Summer 497 AUC

All weep with me! For today is a sad day My beloved grandfather the noble and wise Flavius Iulius leader of the house of Iulius has left this world and is now in Elysium, harsh is the pain I feel now that he is no longer here to guide our house in the right direction. I shall honour him and continue the records of our family’s path to glory. My name is Marcus Iulius and I am the new leader of the house of Iulius.

It is a sad fate the gods have in store for me for I have to do battle on the day of my grandfathers death. I am to fight a vast Greek army that once again threatens the city of Thermon. Weep with me as I prepare for battle and if the gods decree I must live I shall report how the battle went.

Grateful must I be to the gods for they have spared me and granted me victory on the battlefield. 10 oxen shall be sacrificed in their honour.

The Greeks awaited my army on the hills at Thermon where they had formed a vast and mighty Phalanx line, the formation that won Alexander the eastern world.

I had 2 mercenary hoplites at my disposal, 1 unit of Cretean archers 1 unite of Samnite warriors, brave and strong fighters from the hills of Latium. And 2 peltast units, in the mean time 2 units of Hastati where marching from Thermon to come to our aid.

As they arrived and marched for the left flank of the Greek phalanx the Cretean archers softened the phalanx by firing endless volleys of arrows upon the strongest of the Greek army: the armoured hoplites. When they send 2 units to engage the Hastati I send the peltast to the flank of those units and ordered them to throw all their pilae at them, and when they ran out of pilae they were ordered to charge the rear of the 2 phalanx units whilst the Hastati charged them head on.

At the same time my 2 hoplite units engaged the hoplite unit on the right flank of the enemies main army and as the entire Greek phalanx turned to meet this threat I myself charged in to their flank and the Samnites charged their rear, this caused chaos and the Greeks tried to run away. In the chase that followed most of their army was annihilated and only 1 unit survived and managed to flee. I decided to chase after them with my army and not far from Larissa I caught up with them and massacred them by making the main army distract them by marching at them head on whereas I myself charged their rear when they didn’t expect it.

Word has arrived that this has given me great honour in Rome and some say I have become such a popular hero that young roman girls whisper my name and sigh afterwards.
    The gods are mysterious indeed at 1 moment they fill your heart with grief and sorrow and the next they bestow great honour and glory upon you.

I have decided to march for the Macedonian city Larissa to destroy a Greek army that is seeking refuge and protection there and then attack the Macedonians and conquer the city, as this is the senates wish.

Winter 497 AUC

As I lay siege to the city of Larissa a Macedonian army under the command of captain Axylus attacked me. His army consisted of light lancers only but he was assisted by prince Gyros who had an army of peltast, levy pikemen and his bodyguard.

The light lancers made a mistake however by turning up on the battlefield far sooner then Gyros army and I myself charged them accompanied by my trusted bodyguards. And as we quickly slay the lancers Gyros charged me and my guards and played right into my trap for I rapidly retreated behind my lines and lured Gyros within range of my archers and peltasts and more importantly made him charge my hoplites. He was soon overcome by fear and as he wanted to retreat I charged and slay him. And as my brave Samnite mercenaries charged the Levy pikemen in their flank I myself destroyed the Macedonian Peltasts and quickly turned to assist the Samnites after wiping those peltasts out. Hardly any Macedonians survived that battle whereas I had lost only 15 men. And the city quickly surrendered to me.

Summer 498 AUC

The senate has bestowed a great honour upon our family today for they have appointed Vibius Iulius my honourable and wise uncle as Praetor. The Praetor is the magistrate who upholds the ius civile or the civil law, and the ius gentium or the laws concerning foreigners. There are more honourable political positions but this is the first time a member of my family is given a senate office and we shall celebrate this day. The orders of blocking the port of Athens I received today will not dampen this spirit of joy all tough I can not see how I will ever be able to succeed in blocking the Athenian port within 2,5 years I have no fleets nearby and the Greeks have many.

Winter 498 AUC

Bella, horida Bella ! War, horrid wars! Why do we men wage wars? They are cruel and without mercy, even tough they give us riches they deplete our riches as well. And that wich is conquered can soon be lost again. A vast Macedonian army has arrived assisted by a smaller army to lay siege on Larissa, the city I conquered last summer and at wich I am present as we speak.

If the city is lost, my men and I will surely be killed to the last man and even tough I managed to raise a maniple of Hastati I am not certain we will be able to keep this city.

Not all is dark however as I have managed to get a fleet near the port of Athens and the odds are good that they will be able to blockade Athens port, depriving them of trade income. And fulfilling my mission for the glory of Rome and its senate

Summer 499 AUC

Ah my dear journal, I have not much to report other then that the Macedonians are still besieging us, they have built 2 siege rams and I expect them to attack next winter. Our fleet on its way to Athens was attacked by both a Macedonian and a Greek fleet but the gods favoured us and granted our fleet victory and they are now blockading Athens. I have send messengers to Rome to request aid but none will come. We are alone and like my father I am beginning to doubt whether the senators are as wise as they pretend to be. My uncle was passionate in begging for assistance but they would not hear us. My uncle has advised me to send assassins to eliminate the senators who refuse to aid us in our hour of need but I loathe these methods and refuse to spend any Iulii gold on some assassin scum.

Winter 499 AUC

The senate has gone mad! All reason they had has been traded for madness! While I’m being besieged the Greeks have decided to besiege Thermon and now the Senate requests I go and conquer the city of Sparta!

I have no choice but to do battle against my besiegers or I will never be able to conquer Sparta within the next 5 years as the senate has requested and this would bring great shame upon my family.

I vow that one day these old feeble men of the senate of the people’s republic of Rome will have no choice but to recognise the greatness and value of our family for they will be bowing down before a Iulius and hail him as emperor. The day we have enough popular support from the people we shall march on Rome and take the city! By all the gods I swear it on my blood and the blood of my family. And I shall whisper this divine duty in to the ear of my successor and instruct him to whisper these same words into the ears of his successor if he can not yet march onto Rome. But for now, we must be obedient subjects to Rome and do as the Senate requests.
    The Macedonians had a vast army under the command of prince Deukalos. I ordered my men outside of the city walls and placed my hoplites in the centre with 1 unit of mercenary peltasts on the left flank assisted by myself and the bodyguards. Our right flank was protected by 1 unit of mercenary peltasts, 1 maniple of Hastati and 1 unit of Samnite mercenaries. Since most of our enemies cavalry is on their left flank and our archers where behind the hoplites.

I made the army march forward until the enemy came within range of our Cretean archers. And got showered with our arrows. This made the enemy impetues and they tried to charge our seemingly weak left flank. Anticipating this however I charged their cavalry’s in the flank and soon, those that where not yet in Elysium ran with such speed that I wonder if the god Mercurius favours the cowards.

Now all that was left of the enemy was their phalanx and their prince. And they attacked swiftly and foolishly for the Macedonian prince charged so hastily that he was soon alone surrounded by my men and swiftly slain. And behold as soon as the prince died the Macedonians lost all taste for battle and before they even reached us the Macedonian phalanx ran from the battlefield.

Victory is mine and I can begin to prepare a campaign to lift the siege of Thermon and the conquest of Sparta!

Summer 501 AUC

Cursed be these Greeks! A vast army has come to besiege me and I can not sally out like in the battle against the Macedonians for my men will be slaughtered if they do.

At Thermon however. A brave captain named Kaeso decided to sally out and he defeated the Greek king whose name isn’t even worthy enough to mention. The Cowardly king however fled the battle and survived unfortunately.

Winter 501 AUC

I have ordered my cousin Arminius Iulius to raise an army of mercenaries and board the fleet at Caralis to go and conquer Sparta as I am too busy defending Larissa from various sieges. He will be assisted by a maniple of Hastati and I am confident he will be victorious!

Good news has reached my ears as Patavium is growing rapidly and it is now my greatest city. It will become very useful in becoming my base from wich my family will one day launch an invasion of Gaul and who knows after that maybe even Rome itself!

Summer 501 AUC

The Greeks assaulted and we prepared for fierce battle. And before the battle started I turned to my men and saw their fear and so I addressed them: “Day has dawned. This will be a bloody one, come what may. Do not fear these over-nice Greeks. They have come to fight, it is true, but they will only stay to die. That army is one-quarter of the enemy's strength. So sharpen your swords one last time! When we have killed them all, we will have made a good start! They outnumber us by a significant margin, but so what? One of them is worth less than the dirt beneath a toenail. The enemy will try to conserve their strength by firing at us. We must close and fight them hand-to-hand, like true men. When I stand before you and say: "this is my kind of fight, warrior-to-warrior!" you know that I speak truth. That I will lead you to a great victory, and greater glory! There is no shame in fear! There is only shame in letting fear rule you! Try not to look scared, and you'll find bravery in your heart!”

This hardent their spirit and soon they slammed their weapons against their shields and they started cheering as if they could not wait for the battle to start. And as the 1280 Greeks marched for my walls to breach them I myself stormed out from another gate and charged them in their flank. And not stopping the charge until I reached the other side of their army. This made these Greeks show their true nature as cowards and most of the army started running at that point. When the Peltast of wich most of their army consisted ran, I immediately turned to charge the hoplites that where killing my brave men in their rear they too lost heart and ran. And in the following chase we killed 1120 of these cowards. Surely another fine day to be Roman.

Summer 503 AUC

In the past year I have raised 2 maniples of Hastati to protect Larissa whereas I myself have taken my army with wich I achieved so many victories and marched for Sparta along the way I have defeated the Spartan king who’s name I still refuse to say! And now I am building siege towers to storm the walls of Sparta. My cousin in the mean time is on his way witch a small force to assist me, I shall have him guard Sparta after I conquered it whilst I myself will go forth and conquer Athens.

The senate has appointed 2 more offices for members of our families as my uncle Vibius Iulius has been promoted to consulship and my dear brother Decius Iulius has been appointed the position of questor. We are honoured that they finally begin to recognize our greatness. However this changes nothing about my vow and one day a man whose name shall be Iulius shall rule Rome and the empire we are forging.

Winter 503 AUC

Sparta has been taken! The symbol of Greek power courage and strength is now a Iulii city! It was a hard fought battle and the brave and fierce warriors of Sparta, the Spartan hoplites, lived up to their reputation and they succeeded in killing an entire maniple of Hastati before they were slain to the last man. These Spartan soldiers are being trained to be nothing but warriors from infancy and these brave men of today would have made their ancestors who fought and died at Thermopylae proud as they died as honourably as those warriors that held off the Persian invasion and saved all of Greece on that day. I can say proudly that my victory has given me quite a reputation and I am either called: “Marcus the infantry man, infantry commander of genius” or “Marcus the brave” what great honour and glory have the gods granted me. To become the leader of the Iulii when I was merely 17 and to be bestowed upon with so much honour at the age of 23. Yet for all that, my body is mutilated with many scars from battle and pets and children fear me when they see me. One can only imagine how the womenfolk look towards me, and this grieves my heart as I feel I am ready to find a wife and have children.

Summer 504 AUC

What I would not give for a few years of peace and calmth, to be able to enjoy the pleasures of life. To listen to fine music, visit the games, be alone with a fine woman away from all the troublesome worldly affairs. A barbarian nation called Scythia has asked for an alliance and trade rights and in return they gave us map information. And the Macedonians have come to beg for peace wich I accepted and we even agreed on trade rights. These are good things of course and it may strike you with disbelief and wonder that I am complaining but hear me now: the “wise” men of the senate in their never ending lust for wealth have ordered me to take the Greek city of Pergamum. I have decided to send the fleet to Athens whilst I march for that city and conquer it on my way. Then I shall board the ships and sail for Pergamum wich is located in Asia Minor at the site where the fabled city of troy is believed to have been hundreds of years before. And this is what gives me strength and courage to do what I must, to know that I, a humble Iulii, will walk on the same ground that the great Aenas once walked upon. It is a small light in the darkness that is my soul and if the gods grant it I shall find a wife in Asia Minor.

Summer 506 AUC

Not much has happened in these past years that was of great significance. I have been governing Sparta and added some Principe maniples to my army. And now I have marched for Athens the new capital of the Greeks. As we speak siege towers are being built to take the city and after conquering the city we shall sail for Pergamum and take it for the glory of the empire.

The Greeks foolishly tried to attack Thermon and there army was annihilated by the garrison that was present at that city and the Greek king has showed his detestable face at Larissa accompanied by his son. The prince was killed in the battle for Larissa but the king himself who seems to be good runner has fled and escaped Roman swords for a Third time. It matters not as whilst he is too busy running away from us, we keep conquering his lands and the king may find that he one day will be a king without lands, ruling only the ship he keeps fleeing to. And this winter Athens will fall to my men.

Winter 507 AUC

Bella detesta matribus! War is the dread of mothers. But even more so for the commander. For the mother only learns of the death of her son whereas, the general has to watch his brave men who he’s gotten to know and learned to love die. To see my dear warriors being thrusted by a spear or pierced by an arrow, he has to watch that look of despair and sorrow in the soldiers eyes as he realises by the pain he is feeling that he is dying as he departs for Elysium.

Athens... ah Athens. What miscalculations I have made. It was the hardest fought battle I have ever faced. 3 Greek armies where present at Athens and one of their commanders was prince who was very talented in the arts of warfare. I made the Principe charge the walls and then conquer all towers and gatehouses. In the fight against the wall defenders I lost more then half my Principe and as they managed to open the gates and my army stormed the city fierce streetlights occurred where I was unable to outflank the phalanxes and they proved to be formidable adversaries and it was sheer resiliance and fierceness of my men that gave us victory in Athens. They fought brave and hard because they did not want to shame themselves in front of their brave general they have come to love as much as he loves them. And after long and bloody hours of steel clashing and screams of desperate men fighting for their lives the last Greek was slain and Athens was ours.

One quarter of my army has been lost in that battle and it will take at least a year to replenish the ranks and sail for Pergamum and I am no longer as certain as I was before that I will achieve the senates request in time.

Summer 507 AUC

I have landed at Pergamum and ordered the build of a siege ram. I left the bulk of my army at Athens for I feel I have strained the mercenaries that followed me ever since I landed on the shores of Greece too much. And I can not bear to look at them for it reminds me of the dying men in the battle of Athens, asking them to fight yet another conquering battle for the glory of a Rome that is not theirs and a general that is not from their lands would be unjust and cruel. The Hastati and Principe supported by new mercenary recruits should be sufficient to accomplish what the senates wants of me. The men I left at Athens will remain within the safe walls of the city and I shall pray to the gods that they shall grant them peace and ensure they will never have to face battle again.

I have also started many new building projects and the House of Iulius is slowly becoming powerful if the senate would grant me or a successor of mine some years of peace so we can organize our infrastructures better there may be no limit to what we could accomplish. But for now my mind must not go astray as I should be planning the conquest of Pergamum.

And as I dare think of conquering this city I feel joy and honour. This city of Pergamum is believed to be built upon the ruins of that great city from wich our father descended the city of Troy! It is here that Aenas escaped the Greeks together with many Trojans and sailed for Carthage where he lived happy as queen Dido’s lover until the gods told him to sail on. And as he left Carthage with his men, Dido cursed him and all his descendants before she killed herself, causing the war in wich we Romans and Carthaginians fight each other with the purest form of hatred. Aenas sailed on to a place that we now know as Latium and he founded a city there. And from him and his city two men where born named Romulus and Remulus and they would found a city they would call: ROME. And now I am standing on the very ground where it all began. Here I stand, preparing to attack those who killed Aenas people and it is a great honour to be the instrument of vengeance for Aenas and the gods.

Summer 508 AUC

Finally we are ready to attack! And as I watched the city that stands on the ruins of Troy I turned to the men and said: “The seer can offer no guidance for this day, so we must grasp our own fates, and make what we will of them with an iron purpose! There stand the Greeks, ready to fight or die. Today, I think we should send as many of them as possible to Hades! We go now! To our bloody buisness!!!”

And the men cheered and slammed their weapons against their shields and the ram started moving towards the gate and I could not help but feel like a child anticipating a nice gift when I realised in what city I would soon set foot.

3 hoplite units where garrisoned in the city, one was at the city square and the other two defended the gates. I had an army of Hastati and Principe supported by Cretean archers, mercenary hoplites, Rhodian slingers and Mercenary peltasts. I made the archers shower the wall defenders with arrows until they had lost 70 % of their men and ran towards the city square. I then encircled the enemy at the square with my skirmishers and slay them all. Without there ever being need for a spear or gladius to be thrusted into another man and the city of Aenas has been reconquerd by his his descendants. What a glorious day this is. And I shall have great games and sacrifice 100 bulls to the gods to honour this glorious moment in our history.
    However all is not good on this day. A vast Greek army that was besieging a city from the kingdom of Pontus has turned and is now on it’s way to Pergamum. There are at least 2 Greek princes and their powerful bodyguard cavalry present at that army and we can only guess at the rest of the men in their army. If they attack it will be another fierce battle like the one at Athens since the Greeks now have only one city left wich is located at the island Rhodos, this time my army does not consist of hardened veterans like in Athens and I fear for the coming battle it will be some time before they reach us but I lack the funds to train new men into disciplined Hastati.

Winter 508 AUC

All praise the gods for they have spared us. For unknown reasons the Greek army moved away from our city and they are now marching in the direction of the Seleucid Empire. Surely the gods have clouded their minds and took away all forms of reason from their commanders. What they are thinking we shall never know however I am pleased and offered sacrifices to the great Mars the god of war.

All is peaceful once again, I have become quite popular with the senate and the only request they have made is that I send a fleet to blockade the port of Thessalonica a nearby Macedonian city. I am using these peaceful years to govern the small empire my family now has control over and ordered the start of various building projects. Hopefully these peaceful times last a few years.

Winter 510 AUC

Ah these are joyful times for they are peaceful. At the request of the senate I have negotiated trading rights with the kingdom of Pontus and this shall increase our treasury significantly. And many children have been born within our family. And as this is joyful news it is also dampening my spirit for I am now the only member of our family who is unmarried and without children. I am beginning to wonder if the many scars from battle that mutilate my apearance are deterring woman from speaking to me? All of these scars I have gotten in battle and are proof of my bravery they are the cost of my glory and I wear them on my body with great pride, why then do they seem to stop woman from seeing my greatness and marrying me? It must be one of those great mysteries of life.

Winter 511 AUC

Good news! for The Iberians have asked for an alliance with the house of Iulius. And the Seleucid Empire has requested trade rights. Not only gives this extra protection from those Gallic barbarians my grandfather hated so much but the trade rights with the Seleucids will bring great revenue. Our cities are growing, and many buildings to serve the common good have been built. I have ordered the building of academies to improve knowledge and I have build arenas for the hardworking masses so they can escape life’s hardships, public baths to improve their health, temples to honour the gods who have watched over me in so many battles, highways to improve trade and farms to provide food for the people. These projects have helped me in gaining popularity with the people but we are far away from being popular enough to take Rome and take over the entire empire.

Winter 513 AUC

Cursed be those Gallic barbarians! I am beginning to understand my grandfathers hatred towards these barbarians for on the day that should have been filled with joy they attacked Segesta.

I have good news as well on this day tough, today I am marrying a fine woman named Marcella. She is far more beautiful then any of the wives of my famillymembers and she is as wise, kind and witty as she is beautiful. And she shall grant me children.

So I shall not be sad nor angry on this day. I am ordering Lentillus Poetelius Iulius to sail for Segesta and crush those barbarians. And that is all the thought I shall spend on warfare today for I am to celebrate and love my wife today

Summer 514 AUC

The Gauls attacked before Lentillus could arive but the Garrison commander proved to be an able tactician and repulsed the overwhelming force with little losses. As a reward he was allowed to marry lucilla of our family and he is now a member of the house of Iulius. I will send him to Greece where he shall govern Larissa.

Winter 514 AUC

The gods have granted me with a child today, a healthy daughter who I have named Arria. She will be well educated and raised to live by the fine Roman values and marry a fine husband one day. I am becoming very accustomed to this peace. And I am now begging the gods o make them last. I do not wish to fight any more battles I wish to stay here in Pergamum with my wife and daughter till the end of my days.

Summer 518 AUC

One of our famillymembers has reached the age where one is considered a man. He is 16 now and his name is Gaius Iulius. I know him well and he is a genius when it comes to governing. I have decided that the glory of our house shall become his responsibility. I ordered him to raise an army and take the city of Mediolanum as the senate requested us to do so. If he conquers it I shall name him my heir. He hates the Gauls as much as my grandfather did and expressed his ambition of conquering all of Gaul on several occasions.

Summer 519 AUC

Gaius Iulius reached and attacked the Gallic city of Mediolanium. I was not there but a soldier that got shipped to me was present at that battle and here is what he reported to me.

“we where very frightened, the barbarians had a vast army and we all remembered the tales of how Brennus burned Rome and besieged the senators at the capitol with his army of fierce warriors with godlike strength. Seeing our fear the general marched to the front and said to us: “A battle's never an easy thing to face, especially before breakfast. But think on this: they feel at least as bad, and don't have me to give them victory! These Gauls do not need your fear. Cold steel will bring them down just like any other man.
    We outnumber them by a small margin. From such small beginnings are great victories crafted and by this time tomorrow, our sword arms will ache from over-use!” these words filled our hearts with courage and all our fears disappeared. And the general ordered the ram forward. And whilst the archers and Velites depleted the enemy ranks the ram broke the gate and our men poured in. The general send us all to the left whilst he went to the right and killed one of the 2 Gallic princes present at the city. And whilst the main army destroyed the Gallic army the general had gone on a detour and reached the town square where the Gallic general another prince was surprised by the swift attack in his rear by our beloved general and he soon lay dead as well. Victory was ours”

After the soldier finished his report I sent him on his way and named this promising general my heir.

Winter 527 AUC

After governing Mediolanium for a few years Gaius Iulius has decided to march northwards I do not know what his intentions are nor do I know where he is heading but I have faith in his abilities. I have told him of my vow that one day the house of Iulius will rule Rome and as I told him this, something in his stare changed as if he was already conceiving a plot to achieve this. His sudden march wich surprised the senate as well as the house of Iulius must be part of his bold plan.

The accounts of Gaius Iulius in the Gallic war

Take note as you read this, for these are the accounts of the Gallic wars by Gaius Iulius member of the honourable house of Iulius.

The Gauls are a barbaric people, they lack all forms of culture and care only for battle. One would suspect that his makes them formidable as opponents in war however, they are as cowardly as they are hairy and good use of tactics can make a Gaul army run away even before the battle really started. They rely on great numbers and sheer strength to win battles and a general that wages war against these dogs will often find himself outnumbered, it is of vital importance that the general does not panic and remains calm as he calculates his advantages and disadvantages. Manny generals have failed in this in the past because they all remember Brennus. Brennus however is dead and I shall now fulfill my grandfathers wish of avenging the shame Brennus has put us trough.

The senate doubts if my actions are just and fear that I might be on a quest for personal glory, let me tell the senate this: for many generations our family has protected the northern borders from these barbarians, if it weren’t for us, Rome might have been a Gallic fishing village now. Never has the senate or any of the other great families expressed their gratitude for this, NO! They have send us to die in wars that where not our own war, fighting Carthaginians for the Scipii and Macedonians and Greeks to assist the Bruutii. So not only have we been defending Rome from the north, but also from the east and the south. We have fought more battles then anyone else in Rome and we have far more experience concerning the arts of war. It is because of this experience that I can tell the wise men of the senate with confidence that the Gauls pose a threat as they are preparing a new large scale invasion of our lands. And we must strike fast and hard before they attack us. I do not like battle but it is love for the great city of Rome and it’s people that I am willing to sacrifice myself and embark on this dangerous venture to ensure Rome’s safety.

I had marched for the settlement of Luvavum, and attacked it. The Gauls had a large Garrison in it and I expected a fierce battle when they sallied forth from the settlement to test our courage. I placed my Velite units at the front and my Hastati behind them. With the Principe in the last line to give support where it might be necessary. And my archers behind the main army. Along the way I have enlisted barbarians as mercenary forces for my army. Ha despicable people! For a little gold they fight for the invader against their own kin. I decided to place them in front of the Velite to make sure they could throw a maximum amount of javelins as possible. And these barbarians aren’t good for much more then to act as the shield of my army. They are disposable nobody shall miss these hairy beasts if they are killed to the last man.

The Gauls came out of their settlement and started shouting animal like roars and words that no civilised man can understand towards us to rid themselves of their fear and to frighten us. Then, they charged and behold dear reader... as they came whitin range, the Velite started throwing their javelins and the archers fired their arrows. A rather large horde bypassed the mercenaries and charged the Hastati. This provided a wonderful sight as all the Hastati simultaneously threw their javelins and I charged the barbarian Gauls in their flank wich caused them to run away. I immediately chased after the running barbarians as I felt the army deserved some rest and it was easy to slay them all.
    Realising there was no time to waste I departed for Alesia wich was a long march since these barbarian wild men lack even the simplest form of roads. After conquering these lands there will be much work to do here to develop this part of the empire.

At Alesia I was suddenly under attack by an army that came to assist the Gallic capital and soon I was attacked by both that army and the city garrison under the command of prince Vercingetorix.

I watched my men my brave men and old them:

Men! This battle is inevitable, but victory hangs in the balance. Do your duty as true Romans and victory will be within our grasp!
    The Gauls fool themselves, and think they are our equals or better. I think they have the stench of death about them.
    Are you men enough to win this battle? Are you equal to the challenge? If you are, then plunder and loot await! This is the last obstacle in our way before the city walls! Win here, and you can stroll to your prize!
    When I stand before you and say: "this is my kind of fight, warrior-to-warrior!" you know that I speak truth. That I will lead you to a great victory, and greater glory!
    I have won many great victories for Rome. Be strong in that truth, and let this be one more. March on! And know that our victory is assured as long as we live and die like true Romans!

The battle was won easy as the enemy crashed on our battle line and ran when the pila where thrown. And Alesia was soon ours. When I departed to conquer the next city however, those ungrateful Gauls rebelled and I had to retake the settlement. We bring them culture we bring them trade and how do these beasts show their gratitude? By taking a knife and slicing our throats! As I besieged the city I was suddenly attacked in the rear by a massive Gallic army with strong experienced warriors and a fierce battle occurred where even Romans ran in fear, until their general charged the enemy and showed them the true meaning of Roman courage. Manny of my men died in that battle and I myself haven’t been spared. Only 3 of my bodyguards survived and I myself have been horribly scared during the battle

Victory however was ours when I managed to kill the Gallic prince that was leading the army for as they saw their prince fall the Gauls lost all taste for battle and fled. Alesia is once again Roman. It will take some years however for me to be able to continue my conquest of Gallia.

“Marcus Iulius the brave” in the mean time has send an army towards Macedonia determined to take their last 3 city’s. And this is good news for I believe Rome has a destiny to rule the world and one should not hesitate in conquering weakened enemies.

Rumors have reached me that a man named Gaius Marius has reformed the army. His reforms are brilliant for they allow all men to join the army, and not only those of the higher classes. The men are also trained and equipped better. This reform however has been passed in the peoples assembly without the approval of the senate and a popular man like Gaius Marius should be more cautious or he may one day commit suicide or become incurably ill.

The Gallic provinces however lack the infrastructures to be able to train these new troops. After the conquest of Gaul I shall raise an army of these men

Winter 538 AUC

I am an old man now, and the gods have been kind to me, they gave me a wife, a son and many years of peaceful calmth since my marriage. Gaius Iulius has conquered Alesia from the Gauls, and I think he has found the correct path to glory for our family. However I have learned that he has suffered many casualties in the second battle for Alesia and I have ordered Legionary Cohorts to be trained to replace those who have fallen on the battlefield. I am ordering Gaius Iulius to remain in Alesia until the reinforcement’s arive for I do not wish to see my heir die because of impatience and I feel he has to conquer his own ambition for now. We the house of Iulius have conquered many provinces, we are on the verge of destroying the Macedonians and the Greeks, Gaius Iulius will conquer Gaul and who knows maybe even Iberia or Germania.

The house of Brutus has done nothing significant and has become very unpopular, sure they are the noblest and richest family of Rome but what has that given them? Nothing! For they lack any bond with the people and have conquered little. They have few provinces in the north west of Greece but that is it. The house of Scipio however has gained much glory for they are destroying the Carthaginians, Rome’s eternal enemy. Carthage has lost it’s empire to the Scipii and the Iberians and I fear the Scipii might become too lusted for power and try to claim Rome for themselves one day. A great war in wich the noble families of Rome fight each other may have become inevitable. Gaius must be prepared for when this day comes, as must be our entire family. I have therefore ordered many legions to be raised for when this day comes.

The army has been reformed. It is formed by Legions now, in each Legion serve men who act as individual Cohorts who can each do their duty on the battlefield.

As you may know, before these reforms the army existed of maniples, and the soldiers where drawn from the social classes of Rome. The young inexperienced men would become the Hastati maniples and the older more experienced men would become the Principe.

Now with Gaius Marius reforms. All men can join the army and it exists mostly of common people. People that are used to hardships, people that care little for politics and see the senate and the roman families as arrogant and dissociated from the people. This however is different when it comes to the house of Iulius for we where once common people ourselves and we represent them still. The people love us for that and a charismatic general that can win the hearts of these men will soon find that it is not the senate or Rome where their loyalty lies but with that general. I believe Gaius Iulius is such a man and he will be very pleased when he sees that the men in the Legions that will replenish his ranks are commoners!

I feel excitement as I realise that times are changing and something of greatness and significance will happen because of the course we are taking now. I only wish that I may live long enough to see it happen.

Summer 539 AUC

The reinforcements for Gaius are on their way towards him. I myself have decided that it is time to dispose of the Greeks. They have one last city on the island of Rhodos an island that is on a vital trade route and can bring many riches to us. The fleet however is at Thessalonica performing a blockade for their port. I will have to wait some years before I can land on Rhodos I am using this time to replenish the ranks of my own army.
    Macedon is ready to fall as well and soon their last two cities’ shall become ours.

All seems well and one might believe that I am free of worries, this however is untrue for in the south Egypt is carving out an empire for themselves. They have many quantities of gold and these make war go smoothly. At this point only the Seleucid Empire stands between us and Egypt, however I fear Egypt will soon overwhelm them and stand before our Asian city’s.

And Pontus the kingdom on the eastern borders of our Asian lands has declared war on us and is attacking our fleets. War it seems is the sad fate of humanity. We wage wars with a passion and the lust for gold and glory drive us to it. With no hesitation whatsoever we discard of the lives of thousands if they can make us richer. I am not free of guilt as I take part of it with as much passion as any other man. I have spoken many times about these matters with the philosopher that joined me on my campaign one day. And he said something very interesting, he asked me: “Who was the first that forged the deadly blade? Of rugged steel his savage soul was made”

My philosopher is correct, it is this man, the one who first picked up a weapon to slay his fellow man who gave mankind war. And ever since he has done this, man has never paused from waging war. This is why we Romans must rule the world one day. When all are ruled by one there can be no more war, for there will be nothing left to conquer.

And when the fleet finally arrives I shall embark the ships and sail for Rhodos to add another small step on our road to peace.

Summer 540 AUC

The Greeks are destroyed. We have taken Rhodos and with that something truly remarkable. For on this island in a vast statue of the sun god Helios. It must be the largest statue ever build by man. Trade will flourish even more then it already did and riches will flow to the house of Iulius, enabling us to raise vast armies, surely our divine quest has become easier.

I have troublesome tidings too however. The senate has requested me to send to fleet to Salamis and blockade the Egyptian port there. This will surely lead to war between our people and Egypt is a formidable enemy I fear.

Gaul

Finally the reinforcements have arrived. And what fine men they are, disciplined strong men with beautiful armour. The former chainmail has been abandoned for the more effective and lighter, plate based Lorica Segmentata, this style of armour is composed of four basic assemblies, two "collar-shoulder" halves and two "torso-girdle" halves.**All the components are connected by leather straps and buckles. It is very complicated and difficult to assemble; being composed of about 40 separate plates* 24 in the collar and shoulder units and 16 comprising the torso-girdle section.*It is far more comfortable then any other style of armour and provides the soldiers a lot of manoeuvrability and still provides adequate protection that chainmail can never provide. A fine example of roman ingenuity.

I have left Alesia and headed for Lugdunum to conquer it but as I besieged it, the senate fearing my popularity demanded I broke off the siege and headed for Condate Rendonum in Armorica, to the south of Belgica. The Gauls had a vast army there and it is obvious the senate is hoping I will fall at the walls of Condate Rendonum.

Marcus Iulius the great, infantry commander of Genius and crusher of the Greeks has departed for Elysium in the winter of 205 BC. I Gaius Iulius am now the head of the house of Iulius. And not only am I now to write down the chronicles of my conquest but also those of our family.

Condate Rendonum was taken surprisingly easy. And I am marching for Lugdunum to lay siege on it. Aretium will train onager crews and cavalry to reinforce my troops as I continue my quest to bring the gift of civilisation to these barbarians. Rumors have reached me that Pontus betrayed us and is attacking our cities in the east. However I am confident that our cities will be well able to defend themselves.

After the fall of Lugdunum, wich fell so easily that I shall not go into detail about this; I noticed that 3/4 of the enemy’s standing army is located at the new Gallic capital of Malissa and I shall march for that city whilst my cousin Decius Iulius the ugly will take over the management of this settlement.

To the common civilised Roman all these barbarians seem the same, but I have noticed strong differences between these barbarians. Gauls are not like Iberians or Germans and to the north are the Belgae of who it is said they have crossed the sea to the mythical islands of Britannia of whom no roman really knows if she really exist or not. I am planning to conquer Belgica and build a fleet to see if the mythical islands really exist.

Of all the barbarians the Iberians seem the most civilised, if you can call a barbarian civilised. They are master blacksmiths and are fierce opponents with a strong army. And one must never forget that our legions are a copy of their Scutarii troops who use a Scuta shield and throw pilae before charging and engaging in hand to hand fighting with their Gladius wich was the inspiration for our legions Gladius Hispanica. Their lands however are rich in silver and gold and therefore it is our duty as Romans to bring them the gift of roman civilisation and citizenship, even if this means bloody conquest of their lands.

The Gauls seem to rely on great numbers in battle and are formidable individual fighters who lust glory. However when facing an organized military like our mighty Roman legions their façade cracks and they are broken easy. When our legionnaires throw their pilae towards the enemy they are already thinking about running and once the cavalry charges them in the flank they usually run and it is not uncommon to see entire armies of Gauls run away from the battle.

The German tribes are formidable foes. They rely on sheer power and strength and many of my men fear them. They have fanatical warriors who cut themselves and shout and howl like animals. And some of my men wonder out loud whether these are demons or men. The Germans also have a formation that seems like a barbarian version of the phalanx and some of their men paint themselves black and attack during the night their lands are poor however and unless they attack Roman lands there is no need for war between Romans and Germans. I hope this peace lasts for long for venturing in the wooded lands of the Germans with their fierce warriors is a dangerous undertaking and it will prove to be hard to convince the men to follow me on such an adventure without good reason.

Decius Iulius has arrived at Lugdunum and I had departed for Malissa. The Gallic King was present at that city as was most of his standing army.

We where heavily outnumbered and the men where worried since they had never experienced such an epic battle before. Therefore I turned towards them and told them

“Take up the shield! Grasp the spear! Sharpen the sword's edge! This is a day of destiny, and Fate of many will be decided in this place. The Gauls fool themselves, and think they are our equals or better. I think they have the stench of death about them. That army is one-quarter of the enemy's strength. So sharpen your swords one last time! When we have killed them all, we will have made a good start! They have been lulled into a false sense of security by a few feet of defensive wall. As if that will protect them! They have a slight advantage in numbers, yet, for all that, one of you is worth more than any number of them. Skills, valour and honour still count for something in war.”

The men found heart in these words and started cheering so I continued

“ Now, you know I have a reputation for cunning in battle. I do not intend this to be a fair fight. I am going to fall upon them without warning! I will strike at their weakest points! This won't be a battle - it'll be a kick up the toga! Only a fool cares for omens and portents, no matter how bad they may be! We make our own destinies, and we are not ruled by the flight of some damned bird! And remember this above all: our Roman Gods are watching! Make sure they are not ashamed!”

The men lost all their fears at this point and the battle could begin and so I ordered the archer auxilia to fire their arrows over the wall and I made the scorpion; wich is an improved version of the Ballista; fire large bolts towards the enemy after the onagers destroyed the city walls. After that I made all ranged weapons fire at will until they ran out of ammunition. At that time I ordered the Legionnaires to march closely to the destroyed city walls and hurl their pilae over the walls and into the Gallic beasts. When they ran out of pilae I myself charged the enemy followed by my beloved Legionnaires. A fierce battle started in wich we killed the Gallic king and all his warriors to the last man. Massila was taken and Gaul was ready to fall.

After Massila I found little resistance and added Narbonesis and Lemonum to our lands. All of Gaul has been conquered and the last Gauls fled to Celtiberia to a settlement in the heart of Iberia. I am not planning to follow them however, instead I shall march northwards and conquer Belgica and sail for the mythical island of Britannia.

My plans of conquering Britannia have been put on hold. For on this day in the year 563 Ab Urbe Condita a new civil war has fallen upon Rome. I have become too popular with the masses who have openly stated they would welcome me or any other member from the house of Iulius as their leader, their emperor! The senate has responded to this by demanding my suicide. I must take my army and march for the great city of Rome itself. The house of Scipio and Brutus have declared their support for the senate and the outcome of this will change us Romans and maybe even the world forever.

Marcellus Iulius accounts of the civil war

Weep with me dear reader for my father Gaius Iulius Victor Augustus crusher of the Gauls has left this world in the month Ianuarius 566 Ab Urbe Condita. It had taken him and myself, his humble son, 3 years to reach Latium and I Marcellus Iulius am now the leader of our house. And it is upon me that the difficult task of defeating the Senate of the people of Rome as well as the other great Roman families has fallen. I myself am marching for Rome whereas our standing armies in Greece and Macedon are fighting to take over Illyria from the Brutii. The house of Scipio is the least of my worries for they are in Africa mostly and it will take them many years to bring vast armies to Latium. Some of our neighbouring kingdoms however have noticed that we Romans are at war with each other and this might seduce them into attacking us. Thrace has already declared war on the house of Brutus and my own. And before this civil war is over we might lose some of our lands in the east.

I reinforced my ranks in Aretium by replacing the soldiers that had fallen during the Gallic wars and marched for the greatest city of all cities: Rome. Just outside Rome my army was suddenly under attack by a republican army assisted by the garrison from Rome. The Scipii had sent some soldiers as well.

My men where reluctant to fight and questioned our chance of winning a battle against troops as trained and disciplined and well equipped as themselves and so I addressed them:

“There are many roads to victory. Today our road will be paved with skulls. Remember this, and show no mercy. The Roman senate has sent its army against us. Do not fear them, for they will die as quickly as other men.”

This gave them hope and so I continued

“Our numbers are about equal. Therefore, a victory here will be hard fought, but glorious. We will use our many missiles to rain death upon them. They will beg for an end to our deadly storm!”

The men cheered after that and the battle could commence.

We were greatly outnumbered but my men where all hardened veterans from the Gallic campaigns. And I had complete faith in them.

We were on a small hill wich was surrounded by great plains of grassland. In the distance we could see the banners with the mark SPQR slowly approach form behind a small hill and as they came across we saw a vast republican army and behind them a second army was approaching. To the east we saw their reinforcements from the house of Scipio approaching. I had placed the Archer auxillia in the first ranks and behind them I had placed my legionnaires in 2 rows, 5 cohorts in the first line and 5 cohorts in the second line. They were placed in a specific formation where in the first line the space between each cohort would be as big as an entire cohort. The men in the second line where placed where those gaps where so if they would march forward they would create one great line. Behind the men, I had placed the onager artillery and 1 scorpion ballista. The enemy however was wise enough to stay out of range and refused to assault my lines. And so I ordered the army to march forward in this formation until the enemy would be in range and then unleash death upon them. Whereas I myself charged the reinforcements from the house of Scipio. My men marched to the plains and when the enemy was within range, the archer auxillia rained down arrows upon the enemy, the onagers and scorpion unleashed flaming projectiles upon the army of the senate and surely this must have instilled fear into their hearts. I myself reached the men from the house of Scipio and after a hard fight where I lost half my bodyguards the enemy lost all taste for battle and ran. The senate armies however had decided to charge the main army and as the enemy infantry and cavalry approached, my men threw their pilae and then drew swords for a fierce fight. As I galloped back to reach the men I saw the senator who was leading the Republican army. I charged his flank and managed to kill him, with this his men lost hope and panicked and in the confusion that followed we killed or captured all but 136 of their men. The battle was ours and Rome was ready to fall.

Rome the greatest city in the world is not easily taken. They have walls surrounding the city walls of epic proportion that shoot ballista bolts from their towers. Their garrison was annihilated in the battle in the fields before the city but the city was not easily stormed. Unlike with Gallic settlements building rams or destroying the walls with onagers was not possible with the great walls of Rome. And so we started besieging the city and building siege towers that had to be as epic in size as the walls of the city itself. After 6 months we where ready to storm the city. And I ordered the legionnaires to push the 3 siege towers toward the wall. I ordered the rest of the 7 cohorts to form the testudo formation. This is a formation where all the men in a cohort move very closely together, even closer then in a phalanx and the men in the front would keep their shields pointed to the front whereas the men on the sides would hold their shields sideways and the rest of the men would hold their shield up, giving the formation complete protection from arrow fire. As soon as they formed this formation I ordered them to march forward to the city gates. They showed a beautiful demonstration of Roman discipline as they marched towards the gates in testudo formation without ever breaking the formation. When the siege towers reached the walls, the men climbed up and assaulted the wall defenders. After a short but fierce fight they conquered the walls and managed to open the city gates for my men who stormed in to the city like a great river, fierce battles occurred at several streets but the previous battle had killed so many of the senates soldiers that victory was inevitable and when we finally reached the forum Romanum we marched for the senate and we slay all senators. The Soldiers placed me on the throne and declared me emperor of Rome. And from this day forward I am Marcellus Iulius Augustus first emperor of the Roman Empire and direct descendant of Gaius Iulius Divinus and Aenas the divine father of all Romans.

The civil war however, is far from over. The house of Brutus and the house of Scipio have cities in Latium and the nearby Sicillia those must be conquered for they can be used as bases for invasions against our empire and my position as divine emperor. When they have been conquered then I shall hunt down and slay the Brutii in Illyria and after them the Scipii in Africa. In the mean time however I have important matters to attend. For the people might love me one day and declare me emperor and god, they may forget this love the next day and therefore they must be remembered of their love for me and my house.

The first thing I shall do is change our Kalendae. I shall not change much however after discussing our Kalendae with my father Gaius Iulius Divinus we both realized it is incorrect and I shall correct it and change the names of some months.

As you know our Kalendae is as following.

Martius Mars 31 days, dedicated to the god of war
    Aprilis Venus 29 days, dedicated to the goddess of beauty and love
    Maius Maia 31 days, dedicated to the fairest of the seven Pleiades
    Iunius Juno 29 days, dedicated to the queen of all gods
    Quintilis 31 days, the fifth month
    Sextilis 29 days, the sixth month
    September 29, days the seventh month
    October 31 days, the eighth month
    November 29 days, the ninth month
    December 29 days, the tenth month
    Ianuarius Janus 29 days, dedicated to the god of gates and beginnings
    Februarius Februus 28 days, dedicated to Pluto, ruler of the infernal regions

the total length of the year is 355 days in this old Kalendae wich is incorrect therefore is shall change the Kalendae into the one that Gaius Iulius wanted to install after conquering Rome I will however add his name to the Kalendae to signify his divine status.

Martius Mars 31 days, month of Mars god of war
    Aprilis Venus 30 days, month of Venus goddess of beauty and love
    Maius Maya 31 days, month of Maia one of the seven Pleiades
    Iunius Juno 30 days, month of the queen of all gods
    Iulius 31 days, month of Gaius Iulius victor Divinus, direct descendant of the divine Aenas
    Sextilis 30 days, the 6th month
    September 31 days, the 7th month
    October 30 days, the 8th month
    November 31 days, the 9th month
    December 30 days, the 10th month
    Ianuarius Janus 31 days, month of to the god of gates and beginnings
    Februarius Februus 29 days, month of Pluto, ruler of the infernal regions

The year has 365 ¼ days and therefore every 4th year shall be a leap year in wich Februarius Februus shall have 30 days.

This will remind people of the Divine status of my house and their love for us. Changing the Kalendae alone is not enough however I must rule Rome and the empire and build many structures and statues in our honour and in honour of our conquests whilst we fight the Scipii and the Brutii.

After building many temple improvements and scriptoria to improve learning and wisdom and to honour the gods, I pushed forward to the south and I have driven the Scipii and the Brutii from Latium. The brutii have only 1 settlement left and it is currently under siege by some of my legions. And I myself am embarking to invade Sicily. Accompanied by the veterans form the Gallic wars and the Latium campaigns I am sure I shall have victory.

The year is 563 Ab Urbe Condita. Nero Servilius the leader of the house of Brutus had decided to sally out of Segesta and attack Gnaeus Claudianus Iulius a promising general of my house. Nero’s army largely outnumbered Ganeus army, however he made a brilliant move by spreading his forces and making his infantry attack from 3 different sides and in waves. Whilst he himself accompanied by his cavalry kept charging in and out of the Brutii flanks and rear and eventually he found Nero Servilius and slay him. After that most of the Brutii army was annihilated as they panicked and only 220 of them made it back to Segesta, the city is ready to fall and with that the house of Brutus will be no more.

I myself in the mean time attacked the city of Messana. Wich was hardly defended and fell easy.

It is now 590 AUC and I Emperor Marcellus Iulius Augustus have destroyed the Brutii and driven the Scipii to Africa. My empire stretches from Gaul to Asia Minor. The Scipii need to be destroyed however or they will claim the empire one day. I have other pressing matters to attend to such as naming an heir. I am childless and one day I shall die and therefore I have decided to name Octavianus Iulius my cousin to be my heir, he is very able and ambitious and I am certain that he will be a good Emperor.

The reign of Emperor Octavianus Iulius Augustus Caesar

Marcellus Iulius Augustus has passed away before his time. 1 month after naming me his heir a vile former lover of the Emperor took up a knife and sent him to Elysium.

I Octavianus Iulius Augustus Caesar am now Emperor of the Roman Empire. Many people question the fact that Marcellus was assassinated soon after he named me his heir and the people are becoming restless. I need to consolidate my power and I must do it soon. My first act as emperor will be a reform of the Kalendae. I have decided to change my name to Augustus and I shall name a month after me to prove that I am truly a god.

Our former Kalendae was as following:
    Iulius 31 days, month of Gaius Iulius victor Divinus, direct descendant of the divine Aenas
    Sextilis 30 days, the 6th month
    Februarius Februus 29 days, month of Pluto, ruler of the infernal regions

I shall change it in to

Augustus 31 days, Month of the divine Augustus direct descendant of the divine Iulius
    Februarius Februus 28 days, month of Pluto, ruler of the infernal regions

To show that I am as divine as the great Gaius Julius I can not have less days in my month and therefore I have taken a day from Februarius Februus and added it to my own month.
    Next to changing the Kalendae I have ordered the build of many statues and monuments to convince the people of my godlike perfection and divine status. The only thing left to do to win their hearts is glorious conquest.

My uncle wanted to chase the Scipii to Africa and destroy them, war however is expensive and there are no riches in Africa, trade could bring riches but in the first years it would be disastrous to our economy. No! I have decided to go and conquer Iberia and then the Mythical island Britannia. Even Gaius Iulius did not reach the Mythical islands and conquering them shall give me glory and convince the people that I am not only an emperor but a god on earth!

I boarded the ships for Iberia and decided to get some practice on the Bailares islands. It’s a small settlement with great potential to becoming an important trading city if managed correctly. It was ruled by rebel slaves at the time I landed on the islands and when I set up the men for battle I told them:

“Rebellious slaves may think of victory, but we should make them think kindly of their masters' whips. They are dead men, walking. Their position is hopeless, the count of their troops pitiful. But remember that the base cur still has a bite. The enemy deserve no better than to be shot down. Let us do this, and conserve our strength. Now then, kill them all!!!”

After that the artillery shot down the walls of the city and our archers marched inside and with their arrows they sent all defenders to Elysium. This battle gave me confidence and I am sure Iberia will fall easily. Gaius feared them because our manipular Legions where based on their Scutarii armies. We no longer use the Manipular legions however and our current legions are second to none in this world. Rome has a destiny to rule the world. I! Have a destiny to rule the world!

End

Author’s note:

I accidentally lost my campaign save file when I had some problems on my pc. My goal initially was to write a large story almost of book size (obviously that never would have succeeded, I’m only at page 27 and already conquered Rome, however the civil war and conquering the world would have given me lots of potential writing material). Since I lack imagination and real talent, I am no longer able to finish this story; however I am considering starting a new one with a new faction.

Civitate

woah that's long. I remember your scythian one, loved it. I didn't read this, but I might. Now, I have to do my physics project!
    proud patron of : ____________

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

Just what I need on a depressive friday night. Thanks! it's great.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck