Thread: That fugly lava monstrosity near Kaer MorManco

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default That fugly lava monstrosity near Kaer MorManco

Okay, I made a tentative claim in the very beginning of the claim thread

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The black area being my fortress itself, yes it IS that big, or atleast will ne)
    And the blue area a plausible expansion for me, leaving room for both Gondor/Eire and Minas Manadh to still expand

Now, on the latest Cartograph someone had apparently built some sort of lava fortress on the little lake in the lower part of my claim. I believe it was Inarus, and IIRC Mang immediately wared him that I had already claimed it. (Marsh's stuff is right next Mang, not shown on map)

Now, normally I would let this go, since this entire claiming procedure is far from polished but it's actually within rendering distance of my fort, which was an actual rule. Now here's my objections to that building:
    -Within rendering distance!, sure right now there's a hill in between making it hard to see eachother, but my Donjon will tower above that and leave me with an ugly orange blob in view.
    - it already is very crowded there. Me, Mang, I think Doyl3r, Ferrets and some guy called Marsh are all nearly in each others direct view. Now one could be mistaken about this due to hilly area in the game itself, but I'd say the maps reflect accurately just how much people are there. (also hills are necessarily meant to stay, as I'm prone to destroying complete mountain ranges)
    - Mang had warned Inarus immediately after that orange blob showed up, but he hasn't made any attempt to contact me and has even built a second orange blob. This isn't that much of a deal, but I would have liked a courtesy call or something, especially after he had been warned he might be infringing on soemone else's area.
    - It's really, really, really ugly. And could never be used as a real fortress with all the lava around.

Now, I'd really like a cordial solution to this with the least amount of possible drama.

2 pics taken from the same location, to show rendering distance

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Manco; December 23, 2010 at 05:03 AM.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Default Re: That fugly lava monstrosity near Kaer MorManco

If it's within rendering distance of your place then it's pretty much on your space... so... Inarus?

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Updated to show rendering distance, keep in mind that i would have build on the surrounding area as well normally.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Ah bloody hell this is clear cut in my opinion. We'll wait for Inarus to post, and hopefully there will be an agreement, otherwise I will set up a poll where we can assign the land to one of you.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Render distance is there for a reason. THe rules are clear

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

I was right it is ugly.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Okay, I made a tentative claim in the very beginning of the claim thread

Now, on the latest Cartograph someone had apparently built some sort of lava fortress on the little lake in the lower part of my claim. I believe it was Inarus, and IIRC Mang immediately wared him that I had already claimed it. (Marsh's stuff is right next Mang, not shown on map)

Now, normally I would let this go, since this entire claiming procedure is far from polished but it's actually within rendering distance of my fort, which was an actual rule. Now here's my objections to that building:
    -Within rendering distance!, sure right now there's a hill in between making it hard to see eachother, but my Donjon will tower above that and leave me with an ugly orange blob in view.
    - it already is very crowded there. Me, Mang, I think Doyl3r, Ferrets and some guy called Marsh are all nearly in each others direct view. Now one could be mistaken about this due to hilly area in the game itself, but I'd say the maps reflect accurately just how much people are there. (also hills are necessarily meant to stay, as I'm prone to destroying complete mountain ranges)
    - Mang had warned Inarus immediately after that orange blob showed up, but he hasn't made any attempt to contact me and has even built a second orange blob. This isn't that much of a deal, but I would have liked a courtesy call or something, especially after he had been warned he might be infringing on soemone else's area.
    - It's really, really, really ugly. And could never be used as a real fortress with all the lava around.

Now, I'd really like a cordial solution to this with the least amount of possible drama.
    Hi all! Sorry

I started building long before the claim thread came into existence, I think you should have checked what was in your "claim" before you claimed it!

Could someone remind me of Mang's warning (memory like a sieve). If I do remember rightly he just said not to build too close to other people as it was a busy area. I have not built too closely. I guess the hills being in the way cause problems though.

Okay, so if you saw a fortress surrounded by lava, how the heck would you besiege it? Thus my point is that it is very effective as its hard to get close to.

Personally, particularly at night, I think it's beautiful

Nowhere in the rules does it state anything regarding the use of lava, I have only made people unhappy when they made over the top claims!

As for the rendering distance, well there was a hill in the way so I am sorry. I guess I shall wait for Manco's reply before I continue.
    Last edited by Inarus; December 23, 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Kill it with fire

Inarus its within rendering distance - even before the claim thread it would have been a matter of a territory dispute. You have a duty of respect to the community to check you are not building near others.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

I'm giving up the lands and have got rid of the lava flows (that reads badly).

Manco can decide what to do with what remains, (theres some nice brightly lit floors there! But I know he likes TNT (he blew up a road!)

I never knew about the rendering distance rule as it is not in the rules thread. Do not argue that - put it in the rules!

Thank you very much for your maturity. Since the matter is resolved I am closing the thread.