Thread: [ABANDONED] CTD when loading saved GrndCamp game on DMUC v6.2

Icon9 [ABANDONED] CTD when loading saved GrndCamp game on DMUC v6.2

I've been thru a couple pages of threads looking for help/solutions to no avail. This problem has been happening after I exit the game for the night, next day, load it up (or continue campaign) and the CTD comes quickly after the load screen starts.

1> I am playing a GRAND CAMPAIGN.
    2> I have DMUC 6.2
    3> Vanilla Empire does work

4> I reset and reinstalled scripts, this hasn't ever worked in the 8-10 times I've had CTD's during load or after a crash. Typically, the 2-4 most recent save points are rendered useless (CTD on load), but the 5th or 6th is fine, so I accept the setback and push onward again.

5> I verify the game files with Steam, that goes fine, then Empire does a 6 hour long update.
    Then, I reinstalled DMUC 6.2. This HAS worked about 6 times in a row. This time, it is NOT working.

6> After reinstall, I try to load each saved game, backwards in chronology, CTD, launch from DMUC, CTD, etc. etc. This time, I get thru 10 saved games with CTD's and hit my 12/15 save, it loads up fine. So do ones prior. Typically, I lose 2-4 save points (they become corrupted, resulting in CTD's on loading) before I find one that works. This time, 10. I don't want to replay all of that work, so I'm reaching out.

These past 2 events have not occurred with a CTD during combat or during the game. These past 2, in new fashion for me, were preceded by a normal exit of the game. Then, next day, I load up and the CTD happens on load up of my last save point. This is new for me.... usually a CTD during the game causes the troubleshooting action. Not lately. ??

7> I get desperate, uninstall STEAM, reinstall STEAM, reinstall EMPIRE, reinstall DMUC 6.2...... resent my GAME PLAY preferences to where I always have them. The situation has not changed. 10 most recent save points are CTD... #11 works fine again. No difference.

PC SPECS:
    DELL XPS420 2.4GHz Core Quad CPU Q6600
    6GB RAM (DDR2 or 3)
    32-bit Windows Vista
    NVIDIA GeFORCE 8600 GTS Integrated RAMDAC (1520MB)

I just want to know the trick or the action I'm not thinking of (or executing incorrectly) that allows me to return to my most recent saved game (or only lose 1 or 2 recent ones, so my setback is less severe).

Anyone?

Thanks, Spah

Game Play preferences, if interested:
    DMUC CORE 4-rank
    ARTILLERY RELOAD 25% faster
    GRENADES ON 4-rank
    RESEARCH cut in half (4 turns per year)
    WOODEN FORTS & STOCKADES ON
    LARGE DEPLOYMENT ZONES
    Last edited by spk0608; December 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: updating PC spec info with more detail

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: CTD when loading saved GrndCamp game on DMUC v6.2

Once a savegame is corrupted, you cannot use it again, so you might as well delete it. The only way to get around these CTDs is to to keep backup saves and go back to them if you have a crash. It might be a lot of work, but that is all one can do. If it helps, I keep a backup save from every 5 years (that is, 10 turns on 2 tpy). That way, if it crashes I'm not too far behind, and I don't have 1000 reserve options to go through before finding one that works.

Default Re: [UNRESOLVED] CTD when loading saved GrndCamp game on DMUC v6.2

Bummer. I thought I did that. I have 10 bad ones, now, because I was doing frequent saves, attempting to use them as backups. How do you backup, personally? Aren't you just hitting save game and giving it a name (eg, instead of France Winter 1726, I would add a, b, c, d after it across that summer/winter year, in effort to have multiple "backups"). They all went CTD on load.

Just wanting to make sure I'm following the backup concept correctly. Thanks for the quick reply.

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [UNRESOLVED] CTD when loading saved GrndCamp game on DMUC v6.2

It is strange that you get so many save game corruptions.
    Defragmenting your Hd might help.