Thread: Unkniwn event string faction_defeated_by_player CTD

Default Unkniwn event string faction_defeated_by_player CTD

hey i recently uninstalled RTW while trying to remove that damned winfixer virus, and now hav my computer completely fixed, but the i reinstalled RTW and copyed my vers1.2 data folder over to patch my game to 1.2 (so i could finally play EB), but when i tried to start up the game, during the first screen that says "activision" and a whole bunch of other details, credits or whatever they are, i get a CTD. i used the show_err command and it said that there was a scripting error in descr_events_images.txt at line 623 column 1, and that the problem was an "Unknown event string faction_defeated_by_player" . this is the first problem i have ever encountered with my copy of RTW, and i hav used the same data folder many times to revert to 1.2 from various mods.

when i searched for the line in the relevent file, this is what i found:

faction_defeated_by_player
    icon diplomacy
    format use faction_defeated

after that it just went on to another event or watever. does anyone know wat is sposed to be here? any help will be greatly appreciated.

did you delete the whole RTW folder in the .../Activision/ folder completely after uninstalling the game? I mean manually going into the folder directory and delete whatever was left there?

indeed i did. i have uninstalled and reinstalled rtw many times and i always delete the entire folder before reinstalling because i know how fickle the game is.

does anyone hav a solution? what does it say in your descr_events_images.txt file at the faction_defeated_by_player part? surely i can just copy watever works for you guys?

I'm finding the same problem. I uninstall ever last tidbit of Rome:Total War I can find, patch it to 1.2. Fine, great... and it runs fine.

I mod it to EB and I get the same error as Mr Jones has.

Any ideas?

I have that problem when I try and run v1.2 as well and I still can't fix it.