Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: - The Previews of RVINA ROMAE -

Default Re: - The Previews of RVINA ROMAE -

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Please, no. No, please.

No need to worry, I have absolutely no intention of re-doing the interfaces again...

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    More seriously, i'm more than interested in your WRE army distribution (a huge in north italy, with most of the elite troops of the empire gathered by the fool stilicho, an another big in africa under bonifacius and two smaller, in illyricum and Hispania ?).
    This is question best answered by Gäiten, but since the mod starts in 410, there's no Stilicho around.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Majorien View Post
    Absolutely ! i know it is a WIP but britain is still under his government, even if bring with him most of the regular troops (but not all, archeology is pretty clear !) : let's kick out of the throne the weak honorius !
    If you look at the small map, you may wonder ...

More seriously, i'm more than interested in your WRE army distribution (a huge in north italy, with most of the elite troops of the empire gathered by the fool stilicho, an another big in africa under bonifacius and two smaller, in illyricum and Hispania ?).[/QUOTE]

Different.
    In 410AD the military Situation of the WRE was bleak. You have some field armies, but you do have the grave situation that the troops intended to be the imperial main strike force (Alaric`s Goths) went AWOL and rampagne through Italy. Not to Forget the precarious situation in Pannonia nad Illyricum.
    So your forces are widely distributed and some areas are woefully bad defended.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    In 410AD the military Situation of the WRE was bleak. You have some field armies, but you do have the grave situation that the troops intended to be the imperial main strike force (Alaric`s Goths) went AWOL and rampagne through Italy. Not to Forget the precarious situation in Pannonia nad Illyricum.
    So your forces are widely distributed and some areas are woefully bad defended.
    You can't imagine Gaiten, how much I appreciate the fact that you don't belong to the evil army of those who think the V century was a Golden Age for Roman arms!

Awesome! It's wonderful to see that after a long time you have improved even more the details of the mod.

On other hand, respect the Paganism: It will be the option to build more Pagan temples than the ones of Sol Invictus and Mithra? For example to Isis, Jupiter or Hercules?

And it will be possible to recruit new generals and units of barbarian origin (Goths, Suevii, etc.) in the frontiers?

I have done a complete (this I mean a real thorough) unit overhauling. Mercenaries either.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Giving up has never been an option, considering the countless hours I've spent on this...

The user interfaces have been through several changes over the years. When I started modding I was pretty much a novice, and didn't even know how to work Photoshop... But as I learned more, I was able to "upgrade" my work, so to speak. I'm satisfied with the current interfaces, but you'll never know...
    Indeed, modding is a lengthy process, very time-consuming and going through a whole lot of years in many cases. The Roman interface you showed us now is of course gorgeous, but I also liked very much the one you previewed in the first place, years ago. It had a really late Roman/"byzantine" feeling on it, it was very pretty. If you still have it, wouldn't you consider distributing it, even just the file(s) for the player who knows his way around the files and would like to manually switch to an alternative UI?

I remember when I played the original Flagellvm Dei, in its 7.03 version... it was more than 10 years ago. Incredible, because it seemed like it was yesterday, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that. My "join date" (july 2014) to these fora doesn't tell how long I had been a non-registered user/lurker. 2006/2007, those were the days when I played Flagellvm Dei, the first releases of Fourth Age, the first versions of EB... and so it is indeed amazing to see where these mods have arrived, and where the IB series will arrive too - hopefully.
    You know, after all this time and many new TW games, the original Rome Total War and Medieval 2, with all their beautiful mods, still retain (for me at least) like an original "spirit" of the Total War series and are without question the most atmospheric of TW games, especially considering all that the talented modders of both games offered us throughout the years. Even if sometimes I might enjoy Shogun 2 or Attila (in my opinion the best TW games post-Medieval 2), it's not just the same thing anymore, for many reasons which I won't detail - they are well known by each of us, for sure.

So many names here in twcenter that became a little part of my life during all these years: Joar, Julianus Heraclius, Riothamus, Gäiten, MasterOfNone among countless others; some who went MIA, like Aradan or Agraes; even some who left this world, like Calvin. Yeah, many years went by, so many things happened in my life/our lives, and it seems like it was yesterday that I first visited this page and played the stunning mods discussed, worked on and distributed here. Sorry for this rather nostalgic digression. Just to say, keep up the good work & cheers!

This is question best answered by Gäiten, but since the mod starts in 410, there's no Stilicho around.
    Yes, obviously he has been slaughtered, but the army he gathered in Pavia and Bologna, after his death and the death of the federates families (at least 30 units)...remained in north italy.

[QUOTE=Different.
    So your forces are widely distributed and some areas are woefully bad defended.[/QUOTE]

If its because of game balancing, i fully understand. But for historical accuracy, wich isn't always easy to implement, i don't. a (very) strong field army was in north italy, composed by gallic, britones and italian units gathered years before by stilicho in order to defeat Alaric and then radagaisus. After the riots of Pavia and the death of Stilicho, they slaughtered the families of Gothic federates (a stupid move, wich gave new and motivated troops to Alaric) and then remained unemployed for years without a leader before being taken over by a young general, Constancius. The spirt of Constancius III owes a lot to this army. 10 years after, this army has been split in three new comitatus, in Gallia, Italia and Illyricum.

Just wait and see, my friend. I did my homeworks very thoroughly.
    However, after the first turn the game is making its own history and factions their moves which will be not historical correctly.
    Certain elements of balancing are important either.

The loss of the Gothic and Germanic foederati after the murder of Stilicho did, imho, very weaken the Western Roman Army. They were not capable of resisting the Visigothic forces, they were evading conflicts because they would be defeated. So I do not think that this Northern Italian army was very powerful in 410AD, they was increased in numbers and quality after the sack of Rome due the movement of units into this army from other regions and armies. So Constantius could attack Constantine III.

Well, there is now a form af consensus among modern schollar : the last edition of the notitia has been written during the reign of Constancius (with some adds later). So the roman army in north italy was huge (20 000- 30 000 regular and well trained troops, which lose the 20 000 optimates captured during radagaisus raids and now with Alaric, you're right Gaiten).
    The main military problem of WRE (obviously with the facts that facing numerous ennemies was pretty impossible) is precisly that it was the ONLY real roman army : historically the hispanian and african armies were more peacecorps than something real, in Gallia Constantine had the roman army from britain (excellent troops, but max 6000 men), and llyricum was devasted, except Dalmatia who provide for 50 years excellent troops, first for Ravenna, then gave to a local wardlord (Marcellinus) a regional power wich gave him the possibility to fight against vandals even in sciicily.
    My understanding of the situation is that until 421 the situation of WRE was not desperate at all. Franks were strong allies, Goths were settled as feoderati and strongly watched, alans pretty destroyed, Sueves just a bunch of outlaws, not the biggest threat vs Bacaudae : only the vandals were not under control. But the sudden death of constantius without a clear successor (and the stupid civil war among low level generalissimos, including Aetius) and after the vandal invasion of the richest province of Africa signed the end of WRE, years before its official end.

Very Sexy Previews!!! So the new faction on the Iberian Peninsula are the Suevi???
    Last edited by Leon Katakalon; February 10, 2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Katakalon View Post
    Very Sexy Previews!!! So the new faction on the Iberian Peninsula are the Suevi???

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    On other hand, respect the Paganism: It will be the option to build more Pagan temples than the ones of Sol Invictus and Mithra? For example to Isis, Jupiter or Hercules?
    No, I'm afraid not. What it essentially comes down to is the limitation of buildings we can put in the game. And even though paganism was very much alive and kicking, the "point of no return" had passed and it is, knowing what we know, highly unlikely that the old cults would regain their status.

And it will be possible to recruit new generals and units of barbarian origin (Goths, Suevii, etc.) in the frontiers?
    No, not generals as in family members/characters. A fully developed foederati system is, however, in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Indeed, modding is a lengthy process, very time-consuming and going through a whole lot of years in many cases. The Roman interface you showed us now is of course gorgeous, but I also liked very much the one you previewed in the first place, years ago. It had a really late Roman/"byzantine" feeling on it, it was very pretty. If you still have it, wouldn't you consider distributing it, even just the file(s) for the player who knows his way around the files and would like to manually switch to an alternative UI?
    Yes, I think I know which one you mean. I guess I have it somewhere, though I can't remember where... Well, I'll look around and if I find, I can release it as an option somewhere down the road.

The current UI features elements from Constantinopel and Ravenna.

No, I'm afraid not. What it essentially comes down to is the limitation of buildings we can put in the game. And even though paganism was very much alive and kicking, the "point of no return" had passed and it is, knowing what we know, highly unlikely that the old cults would regain their status.

No, not generals as in family members/characters. A fully developed foederati system is, however, in place.

Yes, I think I know which one you mean. I guess I have it somewhere, though I can't remember where... Well, I'll look around and if I find, I can release it as an option somewhere down the road.

Thanks for the answers Joar! Well in that case in only just left pray to Jupiter,Minerva and Juno for a submod or an expansion to Ruina Romae about the "last stand of Paganism" with Arbogast and Eugenius Maximus between 392 and 395 AD which ended in the onslaught of the battle of Frigidus river.....

Now seriously, altough is "a bit" too soon to speak about a submod or new campaings I think that would be a good idea to include that option for Ruina Romae like in Somnium Apostate. And for me the best options would be:

-392 AD The "duo"of Arbogast and Eugenius and the last stand of Paganism in the West

-395 AD The End of the Unity: Honorius with Stilichon in the West and Arcadius in the East

Libertus

Thanks a bunch, Joar! Much appreciated Glad semla-dagen!

Thanks for the answers Joar! Well in that case in only just left pray to Jupiter,Minerva and Juno for a submod or an expansion to Ruina Romae about the "last stand of Paganism" with Arbogast and Eugenius Maximus between 392 and 395 AD which ended in the onslaught of the battle of Frigidus river.....

Now seriously, altough is "a bit" too soon to speak about a submod or new campaings I think that would be a good idea to include that option for Ruina Romae like in Somnium Apostate. And for me the best options would be:

-392 AD The "duo"of Arbogast and Eugenius and the last stand of Paganism in the West

-395 AD The End of the Unity: Honorius with Stilichon in the West and Arcadius in the East
    two fantastic scenarios : the first is my favourite, but the second with a huge horde of Goths between the two pars imperii is great, especially if you script radagaisus ;-)

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great work gentlemen! I can´t wait for the release

Tiro

Sorry to ask the killer question but:
    "So when does it come out?"

We do not have an ETA, but we are constantly getting closer.

I am glad this project still continues, hurray to Joar and Team
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar