Thread: Question: why the Romans aren't red?

Default Question: why the Romans aren't red?

Great mod, but I have one question: why the romans aren't red?
    Sorry for my English...

top 10 favourite mods: RTRVII, RSII, 300WOS, LOTRTW, FATW, HCT, EB, ROP, ARISTEIA, IBFD

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Question: why the Romans aren't red?

Why would they be? There's no hard evidence for Romans wearing red (or even having actual uniforms) at all.

For all we know, they were pink. After all, legionnaires could feel all alone in the cold north with nobody but other legionnaires...
    It's like sending a random friend-request *cough cough*

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Subrosa Florens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    But hopefully the Romans kept their purple SPQR coloring, though. Red Romans are way too commonplace.
    Yes indeed. Purple all the way. It is the imperial colour after all. I actually went with it because the Senate flags all have the Roman Eagle on them, which I think makes for a much better faction symbol for them than the Julii wreath.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...17#post4920717

There you have it, right from the creator's fingers to your eyes.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Yup, purple is more logical than red at least.

Of course, that doesn't mean legionnaires actually wore purple (it was the imperial colour for a reason. Iirc, it was pretty darn expensive) but I see the reason why it was chosen here.

Valkar's Avatar Senator

Roman army had white skirts, or blue or Green as far as i knew..

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Really if you want exactly historical Roman outfits, RS2 or IB are probably more your cup of tea I wondered about that too when I first played the mod but really it doesn't matter, and anyway red is already taked by the Amazons.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    and anyway red is already taked by the Amazons.
    Well, one faction of them, at least.

The Roman military tunic between the 4th Century BC and the 2nd Century AD was typically short sleeved and extended to or slightly past the thighs. For most of the duration of this period it was worn by itself; the bare legs were protected by greaves until the early 1st Century AD. The colors of the tunics are a source of heated debate amongst scholars; until the mid 20th Century it was assumed that all Roman soldiers always wore red. Then it was believed that only the centurions and higher officers could wear colors like red and purple and common legionaries wore off-white tunics. This simple belief has been challenged on a number of grounds by the historian Graham Sumner, who has pulled up lots of evidence for centurions wearing white, soldiers red, etc. He sums up his theories by stating that the Roman soldier, regardless of his rank, owned multiple tunics of varying colors. He would wear a finely-made pure white tunic on ceremonial occasions or at feasts and parties. He would have a cruder off-white tunic for daily use in the camp. He would then have a red tunic to be worn under his armor in combat. Nonetheless, even this view is without flaw. A number of researchers defend the view that soldiers often wore white in battle. There are some that go as far as saying that the tunic colors were random; the Roman Army’s equipment was not uniform or even very organized with arms and armor, so why should it be with clothing? What is known about military tunics is this: pure white was considered fancy, off white was considered a basic garment for soldier and civilian alike, red was the color of the gods, especially Mars, blue was the color of the sea and was therefore the color of marines’ tunics until at least the 4th Century AD, and black, purple, pink, yellow, and green were all considered unsuitable for military usage-the first because it symbolized death, and the rest because they were considered feminine colors.

A long time ago [those days when I wasn't playing any computer games yet] I've read somewhere that most legionaries wore unbleached linen [or other material] clothing. That would mean their clothes were a light shade of beige. Others wore whatever clothing they could get [loot, buy, "liberate", whatever...]. I don't think armies at that time wore uniforms as we know them today. But yes--purple looks nice in the games, although IMO purple is a color reserved for senators and other Roman people of significance. Hawooh.