Thread: House Rules

Zen1986's Avatar Libertus

Default House Rules

Hi guys,
    I would like to know what the house rules are for RS2, are they similiar to the previous RS for instance wait 25 years before expansion etc, 9 cohorts and 1 cohort infantry in roman campaign etc
    The sword that kills also gives life.

Default Re: House Rules

Well for me personally I guess I only really follow three:

1. only one 1st cohort per legion

2. only one stack of each named legion (I play 1-turn, this may be a bad idea on 0-turn with it's spam stacks I dunno)

3. No re-loading a save if I lose a FM. ex: if my pwnage FL gets shot by a flaming rock. He's gone no reloading lol.

But that's it for me, all's fair in love and Total War in my opinion. I saw some person on here with a ridiculous list of like 30 "House Rules" he makes himself follow. Ya know because (*mocking*) the AI is soooooo pathetically stupid in this game and even on H/VH with Alex.exe it was no challenge to him unless he followed these rules he made to control himself and his insane RSII prowess.
    Last edited by The Doubtful Guest; December 21, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

When besieging a city/fort never attack within the same turn, allow enemy reinforcements
    - Never attack more than 1 city per faction at any given time

Always build until every city has something under construction before spending money on army

Don't blitz, don't do eco raids like destroying all buildings etc.

The "one of each named and numbered legion with 1 First cohort and 9 Cohorts each" rule applies in 0-turn too, otherwise things get worryingly ahistorical. Obviously you can include other troops in the stack, but there should only be 1 First Cohort and 9 regular cohorts of each named and numbered legions in existence on the entire campaign map at any one time.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Striker's Avatar Semisalis

And at most of the time you have more numbered legions then you have uses for them, until late-game that is.........

House rules...?

BLITZKRIEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "By what right does the wolf judge the lion?"

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    And at most of the time you have more numbered legions then you have uses for them, until late-game that is.........
    I activate (yes, I activate) the Marian Reforms when I've conquered Carthage, 3/4th of Iberia, Greece, Illyria and Western Asia Minor.

That's pretty late-game for me (and yes, I need the legions )

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

For realism you could have border defense llegions. Then have vexalations to support invasions so as to strengthen the legions in that area. That would break the 1 first cohort, 9 cohorts rule. Vexalation is where you draw of troops from peaceful regions. Like the rhine legions gave vexalations to the british legions when the empire expanded beyong hadrians wall. Slows you down with logistics, good for RP if your into it.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I must not have more than 8 cavalry.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Striker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    I activate (yes, I activate) the Marian Reforms when I've conquered Carthage, 3/4th of Iberia, Greece, Illyria and Western Asia Minor.

That's pretty late-game for me (and yes, I need the legions )

Exactly what I said you have more legions than you need, until late-game

When playing as Rome i never build more than one of a named legion, and i only have one 1st cohort per legion. Basically i only use historically accurate army compositions.

I build up for the first 20 or so turn to let the ai get a foothold in the campaign.

Every army i have can only act offensively if it is led by a general. However i will retreat them if a large enemy army is in sight.

Cant really think of any more that i use.
    Aulus Petillius Vespasianus: Patrician, Senator, Age 32

Quote Originally Posted by [100]jplay.TGC View Post
    For realism you could have border defense llegions. Then have vexalations to support invasions so as to strengthen the legions in that area. That would break the 1 first cohort, 9 cohorts rule. Vexalation is where you draw of troops from peaceful regions. Like the rhine legions gave vexalations to the british legions when the empire expanded beyong hadrians wall. Slows you down with logistics, good for RP if your into it.
    Errr, no, it doesn't. If you send off a vexillation of troops from a legion, that legion should remain under-strength until the vexillation returns, or is wiped out, as happened in real life. For example, for Lucius Verus and Marcus Aurelius' campaign against the Parthians, the Rhine and Danuvian legions sent Vexillations to Syria, leaving them rather under-strength - which is part of the reason why the Marcomannic attacks on the Roman Empire during the end of the 160s and early 170s AD were able to penetrate the Empire's frontier defences so easily (that and the Antonine Plague which had been ravaging the Empire). So yes, role-playing with vexillations is acceptable, even encouraged, but try to ensure that you never have any more than one First Cohort and nine regular Cohorts from each named and numbered legion in existence at any one time.
    'Ecce, Roma Surrectum!' Beta Tester and Historian
    Under the proud patronage of MarcusTullius

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

I didnt know our two statements were mutally exclusive.
    I didnt mean that the gap would be filled straight away. Sometimes vexallations joined the legion they were assisting and then that gap would be filled with new recruits (this could not be implemented into game play without using generic legions alone though.)
    Happy Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by I3enjaIvIin View Post
    When besieging a city/fort never attack within the same turn, allow enemy reinforcements
    - Never attack more than 1 city per faction at any given time
    Don't blitz, don't do eco raids like destroying all buildings etc.
    These are good rules, I follow them myself.

I also like to turn off the radar and the unit cards and roll with view limited to general. It really changes the way to have to command, sometimes having to take advantage of the AI assistance for groups. It really makes sieges(attack and defense) pretty intense because zoomed down on your general the cities feel huge. I play a lot of RTS games, and it's kind of refreshing to not be in total control of everything. With AI assistance for some guys it feels like you are actually relying on your men to win the battle, with your guidance rather than you perfectly controlling it. It makes the battles feel like they develop in their own way rather than to my plan every time.