View Poll Results: Which sort of music theme would you prefer for Sandstorm?

Voters
277. You may not vote on this poll
  • Historical (aka army marches, north african /near eastern music, etc)

175 63.18%
  • General (any music that sounds good or fits, a bit like now)

96 34.66%
  • Other (please specify)

6 2.17%
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: World War II: Sandstorm - 0.5 RELEASED!

Default Re: World War II - Submod: 0.3

By the way, are you going to make more factions playable like TGW?

Quote Originally Posted by Vs 002 View Post
    By the way, are you going to make more factions playable like TGW?
    Yes, in the future there will be many more factions.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

great mod
    [URL="http://www.radikal.ru/"][/UR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vdNXJ2E181c

It'd be very cool if you guys could just combine the WW1 and WW2 Mod into one.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1 View Post
    It'd be very cool if you guys could just combine the WW1 and WW2 Mod into one.
    It would be very hard because of the different styles of warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Boat View Post
    It would be very hard because of the different styles of warfare.
    I'd think that if you added the technological advancements the warfare would quickly turn pretty similar to ww2. The only problem is how to add air support to the battlefield. Maybe some sort of invisible artillery?
    Of course, there would be quite a large amount of changes to make.
    Last edited by magnax1; February 10, 2011 at 04:15 PM.

I'd think that if you added the technological advancements the warfare would quickly turn pretty similar to ww2. The only problem is how to add air support to the battlefield. Maybe some sort of invisible artillery?
    Of course, there would be quite a large amount of changes to make.
    The biggest issue are in fact unit sizes. To obtain WW2 warfare, we have to do small units (platoon size) and the player would always want WW1 units. Cause when fighting WW1 units, WW2 units would be cut down in a matter of seconds.

The biggest issue are in fact unit sizes. To obtain WW2 warfare, we have to do small units (platoon size) and the player would always want WW1 units. Cause when fighting WW1 units, WW2 units would be cut down in a matter of seconds.
    That'd be pretty easy to change really. Give WW2 higher fire rates and maybe higher morale, and on top of that you could pretty easily take down large groups of infantry with air assaults/tanks so really WW1 units would be useless. It'd be pretty realistic in the first place, lots of Countries used semi automatic rifles, and USSR mainly armed their units with the PPSH sub machine gun.

That'd be pretty easy to change really. Give WW2 higher fire rates and maybe higher morale, and on top of that you could pretty easily take down large groups of infantry with air assaults/tanks so really WW1 units would be useless. It'd be pretty realistic in the first place, lots of Countries used semi automatic rifles, and USSR mainly armed their units with the PPSH sub machine gun.
    Well, you got a point there.
    Maybe in the future, and after both TGW and WW2 are in a higher state of completion we can make a campaign with both world wars.

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

it doesn't have anything to do with fire rate or morale, just that if you have 400+ men firing on 12 men, those 12 men will be killed instantly.

That and tanks are but a dream in the near future.
    Patronized by Hader.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxos View Post
    it doesn't have anything to do with fire rate or morale, just that if you have 400+ men firing on 12 men, those 12 men will be killed instantly.

That was what I was trying to explain.
    But he has a point if tanks and other railway gun style units with more accuracy are in, this could be possible. Still much time left though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxos View Post

And the 400 men would be killed just as quickly by tanks/air/artillery, even if you don't have tanks and air right now I'm talking realistically this is why there is no point in massing as many units. Of course I don't really think there is a need for units as small as 12 anyway, except maybe as anti tank.

And the 400 men would be killed just as quickly by tanks/air/artillery, even if you don't have tanks and air right now I'm talking realistically this is why there is no point in massing as many units. Of course I don't really think there is a need for units as small as 12 anyway, except maybe as anti tank.
    i appreciate the suggestion, but if it is done then ww1 units could not exist at the same time as ww2 units. Theres really no way to get around the size thing, trust me, I've tried
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    i appreciate the suggestion, but if it is done then ww1 units could not exist at the same time as ww2 units. Theres really no way to get around the size thing, trust me, I've tried
    Well really WW2 warfare was pretty similar to warfare during the end or WW1, so I don't really get why there needs to be such a disparity in unit size. Maybe there could be different units for urban warfare or something that could also be used like stormtroopers in more open battles, but I don't get why you guys have dropped unit size so much.

Well really WW2 warfare was pretty similar to warfare during the end or WW1, so I don't really get why there needs to be such a disparity in unit size. Maybe there could be different units for urban warfare or something that could also be used like stormtroopers in more open battles, but I don't get why you guys have dropped unit size so much.
    If you play other WW2 games like "Order of War", "Company of Heroes" or "Men of War", you'll see that the units are tiny. The reason is simple: like you said before, a WW1 unit could easily be cut down by an air strike, a tank or artillery, thats because the most important aspects in WW2 infantry tactics is positioning, cover, angles of fire, and stealth. With units of our current size you can easily take cover behind buildings, walls, hide a whole unit in the forrest, surprise the enemy, etc. Now, if the units were bigger, you'd have tremendous difficulties in hiding a whole unit behind a building, moving fluently, you'd have less control of positioning and such, and moreover, like you said, if an air raid or an artillery strike comes, there is no chance it is going to miss.

Rougeman's Avatar Ducenarius

well maybe the units coud change maximum size once a certain date has passed?

Indefinitely Banned

Couldn't leave Vs 002's comments unreaded. I have some ideas as for playing campaign's as Finland:

Winter war (Finland): Hold off the incoming Soviet assault until the campaign ends

Continuation war (Finland): Capture and hold Vynorg, Sortavala and Petroskoi until the campaign ends

If you play other WW2 games like "Order of War", "Company of Heroes" or "Men of War", you'll see that the units are tiny. The reason is simple: like you said before, a WW1 unit could easily be cut down by an air strike, a tank or artillery, thats because the most important aspects in WW2 infantry tactics is positioning, cover, angles of fire, and stealth. With units of our current size you can easily take cover behind buildings, walls, hide a whole unit in the forrest, surprise the enemy, etc. Now, if the units were bigger, you'd have tremendous difficulties in hiding a whole unit behind a building, moving fluently, you'd have less control of positioning and such, and moreover, like you said, if an air raid or an artillery strike comes, there is no chance it is going to miss.
    I've played plenty of company of heroes, but just because it's a WW2 game doesn't mean it's an exact replica of WW2. Like I said, I think the smaller units are good for urban Warfare, and they definitely shouldn't be 400, but 100-150 for the more open parts of the war, like the Invasion of France, Poland, and some parts of the war in the USSR. Where the smaller units would be right next to the tanks and the larger units would follow behind.
    I get what you're saying, but I think there should be some larger units added, though not exclusively, because as you explained before they wouldn't be near as useful in Urban warfare.

The Vengur's Avatar Bloodthirsty Lunatic

Quote Originally Posted by scutarilegion View Post
    Couldn't leave Vs 002's comments unreaded. I have some ideas as for playing campaign's as Finland:

Winter war (Finland): Hold off the incoming Soviet assault until the campaign ends

Continuation war (Finland): Capture and hold Vynorg, Sortavala and Petroskoi until the campaign ends
    sadly we are unable to edit the campaign map, but if we learn how then it would be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    I might have inherited the stature and alcohol consumption of our ancestors, but Vengur got the ruthless, psychopathic bloodlust.
    Quote Originally Posted by s.rwitt View Post
    New rule: -one player each session will be designated the "Vengur Handler". It is like a dog handler in real life but you have to also pay attention to where his weapon is pointed at all times, make sure he does not have access to a parachute while in a chopper, keep him from running into buildings which the rest of the squad is currently suppressing, etc. An AGM/ACE compatible leash has been added to VAS.

Quote Originally Posted by le vengur View Post
    sadly we are unable to edit the campaign map, but if we learn how then it would be a good idea.
    Finland is alerady on the map....at least the south part