Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alexander Invades China?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Alexander Invades China?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

If the Athenians attacked shortly after the cavalry had boarded the ships, the Persian plan being according to one hypothesis that the army would board the ships and sail around Sounion and take Athens by surprise
    Timoleon - I've never really seen the logic in this one. A small cavalry force - which is likely what Datis and company had is the ideal thing to pin and harass the Athenians when then noticed the ships leaving and sought to double-time it back to Athens - or also just stop messengers assuring the city the army was not defeated (with the Spartans on the way all the city had to to was stand a siege of a day or two).In addition Cavalry would be wasted in attempting to assault Athens and its not like say the Athenians at Syracuse where Athens lack of cavalry stopped effective operations for a whole season. If the horse loading theory really is correct and it produced the conditions for Athenian victory it really calls into question the competence of the Persian commanders.

It also very very unlikely that the Persian fleet could have loaded up vanished and gotten to Athens before the Athenians anyway.
    Last edited by conon394; January 01, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

To all those writing that the battle was planned out, I will not really argue, just tell you - tactical maneuver was not something the greeks were good at. The centre was thinned because they had to match the enemy frontline, and strenghtening the flanks has always been common sense.

Lysimachus's Avatar Spirit Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    To all those writing that the battle was planned out, I will not really argue, just tell you - tactical maneuver was not something the greeks were good at. The centre was thinned because they had to match the enemy frontline, and strenghtening the flanks has always been common sense.
    Um, Timoleon absolutely demolished your argument so I think we'd all prefer if you admit you were wrong rather than continuing to argue with someone (Timoleon) whose knowledge on the subject is far more extensive than yours. Your attempt at belittling Greek military tactics is pitiful seeing as it's nothing but your own vague assertions since you refuse to back up anything you say.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

tactical maneuver was not something the greeks were good at.
    Really according to whom???

and strenghtening the flanks has always been common sense
    Is, it was it? The Persians were known to place their best troops in the center. Once the Greeks had to face the decision to stretch their line, logic would dictate they risk thin flanks against the Persian team B rather than against the expected best Persian troops in the center.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

His empire was already too massive to begin with, he would have to have waited a long time consolidating his conquests before tackling India and China

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    I think you are getting Tactical (ie Pre Battle) and Battlefield manuvereing mixed up.

Granted, the Greeks were not the best at Battlefield Manuvere - largely because they didn't have many troops, such as cavalry, that could be used tactically. Due to the limits of hoplite manuverin, strengthening or weakening the flanks, varying the number of ranks ect. was about as tactical as the Greeks got on the battlefield until the 4th Century.

On the other hand, the Greeks were adept at tactical manuvere BEFORE the battle begun. I mean, how else could they have chosen Thermopylae as a place for around 1000 men to hold off the whole Persian army?

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Quote Originally Posted by cpdwane View Post
    On the other hand, the Greeks were adept at tactical manuvere BEFORE the battle begun. I mean, how else could they have chosen Thermopylae as a place for around 1000 men to hold off the whole Persian army?
    LOL.

If the commander knows that there is such a place, and has a large, logistically complicated and slow army moving his way, it's the natural decision to go for Thermopylae.

Remember, the place has been used by campers (game refference) throughout history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123