Thread: Installation Error

Default Installation Error

Hello,

I just purchased RTW this afternoon. I tried to install it, and got through Disk 1 without any problems. I get through some of Disk 2 until the point where rome_title.wmv is copied. I get an error that says:

Error 1305. Error reading file D:\ setup\data\data\fmv\rome_title.wmv. Verify that the file exists and you can access it.

I explored Disk 2 and found rome_title.wmv. So it is on the disk. I am forced to abort the installation. Then, i receive an error:

Error:-1603. Fatal error during installation, consult Windows Installation Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

I also tried a Desktop Install, following these instructions: /activision.custhelp.com/..._topview=1

I could not copy/paste rome_title.wmv. So, i tried installing the game without it. In installation, the game could not find a vast amount of files to install. I iignored all of them and finished the installation. I ran the game, but it got through a credit screen and closed back to my desktop. I downloaded the most recent patches and tried running the game again, but no luck: the same thing happened.

I would appreciate any help anybody can give me relating to this issue.

thanks

Mark

Take it back to the shop and demand a replacement, could well be a problem with the CD

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo88
    Hello,

I just purchased RTW this afternoon. I tried to install it, and got through Disk 1 without any problems. I get through some of Disk 2 until the point where rome_title.wmv is copied. I get an error that says:

Error 1305. Error reading file D:\ setup\data\data\fmv\rome_title.wmv. Verify that the file exists and you can access it.

I explored Disk 2 and found rome_title.wmv. So it is on the disk. I am forced to abort the installation. Then, i receive an error:

Error:-1603. Fatal error during installation, consult Windows Installation Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information.

I also tried a Desktop Install, following these instructions: /activision.custhelp.com/..._topview=1

I could not copy/paste rome_title.wmv. So, i tried installing the game without it. In installation, the game could not find a vast amount of files to install. I iignored all of them and finished the installation. I ran the game, but it got through a credit screen and closed back to my desktop. I downloaded the most recent patches and tried running the game again, but no luck: the same thing happened.

I would appreciate any help anybody can give me relating to this issue.

thanks

Mark
    I once had a similar problem with this, but I would get these errors with many games and programs. For me, it turned out that my RAM was broken ...so I had to buy a new stick of RAM.

As for you I don't know what it could be exactly. It could have to do with Windows XP SP2. It could be something with your harddrive, or it could be something with the game CDs themselves, or it could be your RAM.

You can try copying the contents of all the CDs into a single folder on your harddrive and thus running the installation from your harddrive. After the installation, you can just delete those files. Anyways, see if that will work.

Also check here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39665

Yes, you could try that too it seems to over come most of the problems people have with reinstalation after BI, i've been telling countless people the same thing and it seems to work. Though as you are only talking about vanilla rome my money would be on the CD's being the cause of the problem. If you exchange your game for a new copy and the problem remains at least you can rule the game itself out and look for problems or errors in you computer.

Default Re: Installation Error

I fixed the problem by creating a false file. What I did is found another video file, (it was actually a .avi file) and changed the name of the file from wonder_03.avi to rome_title.wmv. I then burned a cd with the the correct file structure D:\setup\data\data\fmv\rome_title.wmv, so when the installation got to the part where it is looking for that file, I put in that cd and hit enter, it loads it none the wiser, then asks for disc 3. So it is not a perfect fix, because when the game loads instead of playing the actual intro to the game my version plays a video i grabbed from another place. I suppose you could put any video you wanted in it's place, but the video I put in is only 45 sec or so.