Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Cassius stands. "The choice is clear! I propose fully half of the citizens of Capua are enslaved, with the status passing on to their offspring. We must show that rebellion against Rome will lead only to destruction and terror."

Surely the choice ought to be up to the soldiers? They were the ones who bled and died for the capture of Capua are they not? And extermination of the rebellious elements are sure to be a sign of our dominance over Capua considering their historical tendency of resisting Roman rule. Enslavement will only serve to keep many of the rebellious elements alive and breed contempt amongst them. Extermination, on the other hand, will remove that threat permanently.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

The messenger stood silent through all this, but as the decision wasn't made he summoned his courage and offered a solution.

I am no senator. I only know that when Rome calls, I answer. The time is of essence here. The soldiers will kill everyone on their paths if they take the city without any orders from you. Consul Basiliscus is trying to contain them, but there is little he can do after the city is taken.
    He said I should tell you he proposed a vote on this, as it will make for a quick decision. I do not see any other way how this can be solved.

"Very well. By the authority of the Consul, through his messenger, I call to vote the fate of Capua."

Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Senator Balbinus stood, finally having an input after his tardy arrival from Corsica.

"What world-shaking calamity has occurred for us to even consider enslaving and exterminating a prospering community due to the bad judgment of a minority who govern the area. Taking into account the nature of Capua, it is clear that resistance will still remain regardless of the action we recommend; there is only one reason why I stand against legal executions.....Money. There may be some short term gains from the slaughter of many civilians innocent or not, yet in the long run leaving the populace be will overall be more beneficial to the treasury. If we however go against wise judgment and kill off those who reside within Capua, the area will become more unattractive to migrate to and will have its future growth stunted dramatically, therefore slowing the income we gain from the region and it will take longer to reach its former self. So, let us cast our votes in favor of sparing these men who have fallen off the righteous path and guide them back on the cobbled roads to greatness!"

OOC: Someone's got to argue for the other option of the three.

There is also the matter of the military. You know which cavalry led the charge on the field against Capua?

Lucius stood up.

Campanian Heavy Cavalry. This shows that it is either the government that was at fault, or the few that decided to arm themselves. If we exterminate the populace, then we will both lose money and military support. Slaughter Crotona and the rest. Sparing Capua will let them know we are capable of mercy, slaughtering the rest will strengthen our bond with Capua.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Our bonds with Capua has been strained by their conscious decision to spurn our alliance. What, just because they're Italians, that we are to bend our every whim and will to appease them? They came begging for our aid when the Samnites threatened them, when their own existence was in question. They sold their city to us, hoping that we would protect them. Yet now, they have willingly cast aside their bonds to us. Were a foreign nation to do the same, every single one of you would be clamoring for their blood. Yet for Capua, you would argue for clemency when they deserve none.

I am shocked, Senators, almost too shocked for words.

Their entire community supported the rebellion, provided troops enough amounting to not one but two full strength legions with enough men left to garrison the city still. I believe this qualifies their people to be just as guilty of the crime as their rulers.

ooc: compiling consul's report now, keep arguing people

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

...and that is why their citizenship will be delayed and their current rights revoked. A law Scaurus passed before he left and still is in effect. It won't be a nice occupation Rutulus, in fact it will be rather harsh, but I don't think we need to spill blood.

We show them just how harsh we can be without spilling blood and when they are clamoring in uproar we release the news of what happened to the other cities and they will be completely subservient yet again.

The Campanians raised two legion-sized armies of native solders,all of whom where well trained and equipped,this proves that the Rebellion was a planned attack and not simply carried out by a fringe element within their government.In-fact I suspect a Carthaginian hand in this.

A messenger enters the Curia, carrying a scroll bearing the seal of the Consul.

Conscript fathers! Emporiae has returned to our folds once more. Consul Aemilius Scaurus has ended the rebellion in Spain!

Conscript fathers, I write to you today in high spirit. Emporiae has returned to our control, and now we are able to direct our attention to our war with the Carthaginians. The men have fought hard, and I am pleased to report that they have proven themselves more than capable of controlling their temper. Therefore, the extent of damage to the settlement has been minimal, with only the families of those men who have directly taken up arms against us being put not to the sword but into the chains of slavery. Expect the first shipment of slaves to arrive in Rome within a month or two, and amongst them many well-mannered household slaves. But I am straying from my report.

The battle for Emporiae was a simple one, made even simpler by the military blunders of the enemy commander. Though of course, if one’s epithet even amongst the city he lords over like a king is Timidus, then how can he possibly stand up to the might of the Sons of Mars. The approach was simple: we would assault the settlement from the south, where there was a breeze blowing dust into the enemy eyes. Of course, I consulted with my military tribunes and determined the best time of battle would be two hours after midday. This was a consideration to put the very environment against our enemies. The sun would be to the west but still almost directly overhead. This plays into two factors. One, our enemies would be marching with the glare on their sword arms, throwing flashes into their own eyes while our soldiers shields would be providing shade. Two, the hours directly after midday are when men are most lethargic, particularly after they have dined. With that specifically in mind, I ordered my men to dine three hours earlier than usual so that they would be in full combat readiness upon engagement. The enemy, I believe, took no such precautions.

Of course, the enemy was somewhat prepared. They had dispatched their own cohort and allied horsemen against us. Knowing of the Spanish furor, I ordered my first line of troops to let loose their rain of pila at will, knowing that the enemy would attempt a head on charge with the cavalry. I daresay it is the thrill of feeling the ground shake beneath your horse’s hooves. A feeling that I myself rather enjoy but chose to leave behind and instead fight alongside the men to better control the situation. My enemy, of course, obliged my implicit request.

However, it would seem that their commander, coward though he was, at least understood some form of combined arms tactics, for he then sent his infantry to close the ranks with us. And soon, we found two maniples engaging with the enemy. One against the cavalry, one against the infantry

I had under my control, a turma of Roman knights who were eager for combat, or whose eyes have lit up with the thought of possible wealth pending their election as publicanus of Emporiae. Having discussed with me the merits of their tactics, I gave them free reign to conduct themselves as they please on the field, and they proved themselves more than worthy, cutting through the enemy cavalry and taking up position behind the enemy infantry. I will let you imagine for yourselves the ingenuity of this field tactic. Alexander had previously postulated that only heavy cavalry can achieve this effect, these Roman knights have proven that any cavalry was capable of the same effect.

The two initial engagements resulted in the enemy routing. I refused to let the men pursue the enemy, knowing that it had the potential of drawing us into a trap. I intend to use the enemy’s own recklessness against them. And the cries of retreat from their comrades spurned another section of enemy cavalry to assault us, and I moved the triarii forward as supplemental troops against the enemy.

I then chose a tactic that many here would consider dangerous: I purposely placed a weakened maniple in the direct line of the cavalry charge while placing the spearmen at their flanks, waiting for the enemy to charge us. The tactic worked, and the enemy horsemen engaged our infantry, gaining ground at a rapid rate, but also exposing their flanks and rear to direct assault. A mistake that they would soon regret.

Whilst the spearmen utterly smashed the flank of the enemy cavalry, the Roman knights assaulted their rear and because I had given them free reign to conduct themselves on the field, they pursued the enemy deep into the settlement.

This maneuver attracted the enemy’s skirmishers, and further infuriated their commander, who saw only broken bodies and panicked men returning to his field of view. Though positioned on a hill, their fortifications were minimal and so the cavalry rode back to inform the rest of the army with the skirmishers in pursuit. Foolish men, too eager for glory, they charge our infantry knowing that they would be at a disadvantage. Perhaps they knew of the fates that awaited their families should they fail and chose to die and believe in a fantasy than to lose and be forced to watch. But the resulting charge by the skirmishers were soon broken, once more, by the knights.

It was at this point that I ordered the entire army to advance, knowing that if the enemy was as desperate as to throw skirmishers into hand-to-hand combat against us, they must be running low on manpower. The knights offered their services as reconnaissance and confirmed my suspicions. At the same time, they goaded the enemy commander into attacking us.

The fool charged us, and like the coward he was, he abandoned his men when greeted with a shower of pila.

I gave orders to the knights to pursue him, and they tore him from his horse and trampled him underfoot. A coward and an arrogant man as well, he had dressed himself in the finest silver and gold, ignorant that both metals are far too soft to provide adequate protection. His silver shield now belongs to the commander of my knights as a reward for the invaluable services his men offered. A fitting reward, in my opinion.

And thus we have taken the town, placed it back under Roman command, and at a far fewer loss of numbers than my tribunes estimated. We have taken the town and I have ordered the construction of a defensive palisade around its perimeters to prevent the enemy from performing the same kind of attack that I had. At the same time, I offered the inhabitants the same vote I had given Sagunton.

Though, Conscript Fathers, I now have further request to make. I understand that my term as consul will soon be up and that I must return to Rome. One victory here cannot be justified as extending my command, though I would still petition for it before you. Yes, you have guessed correctly, this is an official query for a Prorogatio.. I believe that my time in Hispania can be adequately used to removing Carthaginian influence from the region. If you would see fit to grant me my prorogatio, then I would willingly hand control of Emporiae back to a governor and instead make Sagunton my base of operations and begin the process of Romanizing the province so that we will have a military hub to operate from.

As per my consular authority, I would like to propose the motion before you.

Senatus Consultum de Prorogatione L. Aemilii Scauri

1. That consul L. Aemilius Scaurus have his command extended in Spain for a period of no more than two years against the Carthaginians.
    2. L. Aemilius Scaurus is to be granted the ability to recruit local mercenary troops to supplement his forces until reinforcements are available.
    3. Consideration for extension of the prorogatio terms will take place upon completion of his first extended command.

Crusades

I say we grant the Consul his extension and send him reinforcements as soon as possible.

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus nods his head in agreement.
    "I agree Caelius. The army should be reinforced. We mustn't neglect the Consul and his army. This is the republic's chance to rid Hispania of the Carthaginian dogs."
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

The messenger waited unpatiently. He would have to leave for Campania soon, but he had yet to receive the orders from the Senate.

Pallas smirked at the request of Aemilius.

A prorogatio and a transfer of full governmental authority back to a proconsul. But who would that proconsul be, I wonder? Aemilius Scaurus himself? Or would it be someone else? This seems like almost too much power for a single man. But perhaps that is exactly what we need to rid our Republic of her dangers.

He notices the messenger

What, still here? The vote has passed. Tell the consul to enslave Capua upon capture, though I had hoped that the rest of the houses would at least have been imbued with enough reason to see the merit of a population, ah, relocation

Crusades

The messenger nodded and took his leave.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Senatores! why have we voted to depopulate the city of Capua?! Have we lost all sense of decency? Are we Romans or are we lesser than the tribes to our north? Capua has always had a powerful economy, and its people as long as ensured protection, loyal to Rome. While they have rebelled yes, those who took up arms were slaughtered or sold into slavery. Surely we should not have taken away the production and trade capabilities of a great city? Neither was this Carthage, but an Italian city.....alas...it has been carried out in a vote, and i can not change the wishes of my fellow senatores...

As for the Consul's proposal...while i feel that such an act would add to a single man's power, if we are to continue a campaign, we cannot be constantly changing the Legion's commanders. So i agree with an extension of the Consul's command in Hispania. However, while i support the Consul, as a show of good faith for the preservation of the Republic, i humbly request that he return to Rome upon completion of his duties in Hispania, and lend his experience to reconstruction following this war.

Of course, i urge the senate to vote to grant Consul Scaurus his much needed reinforcements.

the now one eyed senator Julius (still wearing the bandage over his eye, yet considered by the doctors to be blind in it for the rest of his days) turned and strode out of the Senate

If you shall excuse me Senatores, i must see to my healer....
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

I object to the consul's motion.

Why should we let him rampage through Spain for his own personal glory when last years' consuls also had to step down to allow new blood to command and to finish what they had started when we were close to electing a dictator? He has already attempted to outmaneuver his fellow consul in this hall. When shall his ambition end? Does he believe he can push all the way to the Pillars without interruption?

I respect what he's doing but I no longer have reason to believe he is doing it for the correct reasons. He should return from the Iberian Peninsula at the end of his term. Spain isn't a highly contested theater, therefore there is no reason to take "drastic" measures to keep him there.

If Carthage had any large armies left they would have hit Sugunton the moment this rebellion began. The Carthaginians still have many spies that infest the countryside and have no doubt heard of or engineered the rebellion themselves. It will take years for them to recover from my victory at Arretium, remember that senators.

Lucius sat back down, many scenarios running through his head of the battles of Trasimene and Arretium. How Punic dogs still waited in the Po valley untouched and his campaign left unfinished.

A letter was brought from Consul Titus Basiliscus Aquila.

Senators of Rome,
    the siege of Capua is going as planned, although this is not why I'm writting this letter.

I have heard of my co-consul's proposal to extend his imperium in Hispania for two more years... Have we no other men to send there? Is there really no one who has the ability to lead our armies against the Carthaginians? It seems that consul Scaurus is gathering too much power in his own person - as he did when he tried to remove me from my military imperium. Therefore I ask you to veto his proposal in my name, or I ask the tribune to do that.

But to get back to the war against our "Allies". I would like to ask you to extend my imperium for the time that will take to end this rebellion - until the capture of Crotona. This may not be necessary if I can manage to assault the city during my mandate - which would mean the siege would prolongue itself to the start of the next years consulship if our spies wouldn't be able to open the gates.
    This is a small request. I do not want to leave things unfinished, especially when we had such a success so far. After the rebellion is over, I would like to resign to the province of Sicilia as proconsul.

I have received intel from our spies in Sicilia that Hiero, the King of Syracuse has been supporting Hannibal financially during his attack the previous year. Hiero has also recruited a large army aiming to invade Roman territory and capture the cities of Messana, Akragas and Lilybaeum.
    I would ask the Senate to formally announce war with Hiero and if I am made proconsul of Sicilia to grant me the attack on Syracuse.
    Also, since there is no army of ours in Sicilia, I would ask you to let me take the army I have at my command to Sicily. I shall use the fleet at Ostia to transport.

So I ask you to put this motion to vote as quickly as possible:

1. That T. Basiliscus Aquila be granted extension of his imperium until the rebellion is ended (Crotona taken)
    2. T. Basiliscus Aquila shall take his term as Proconsul of Sicilia
    3. T. Basiliscus Aquila is to be granted recruitment of local mercenaries if seen necessary
    4. Announcement of war against Syracuse
    5. T. Basiliscus Aquila is to take the army at his command to besiege and take the city of Syracuse

The situation is grave, senators. To defend ourselves, we must attack. I would also emphasize on the wealth of the city of Syracuse and the much needed income it would give our depleted treasury. Income which would be needed in the continuation in our war in Iberia.

Titus Basiliscus Aquila,
    consul of Rome
    Last edited by Rex Basiliscus; December 26, 2010 at 06:14 AM.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Crispinus, having silently entered the Senate, spoke

And how does the consul know for sure that the army raised by Hiero's is meant to invade Roman territory? Don't take this wrong, I have nothing against such an attack, but I was just wondering why now, when we need all the forces we have on the Iberian front? One would start to think that Basiliscus, in pursuit of personal glory, intends to rob Consul Scaurus of some of the power he (Scaurus) desperately needs in Iberia. Our treasury, with the retaking of Capua, will get back on its feet in time. No need to take Syracuse for this yet.

If all of this is the case I need to remind you that the Republic is still at danger. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam.

"Need I also remind the Senate that Syracuse is part of the union of Greek States, a union which we have an alliance with? An attack on Syracuse would result in them attacking us from Massilia, and in Macedonia. It would be tantamount to suicide."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast