Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

Default Re: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

I'm sure the Rebels would be cowed into Submission by your mastery of insults.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

"I would rather see them cowed by force of arms. Arms that you seem intent on hoarding away rather than actually being used."

Oh I am in full support of an armed solution to our current problem,I only ask we be weary of throwing away the lives of Roman sons.

drecie14's Avatar Decanus
    Exact Location: South East Asia, The Philippines, Manila

Titus has had enough. He stands up and spoke in a rather loud voice.
    "Senators please. Such bickering does not help the Republic in this dire situation."
    My Submods
    Invasio Romanum - TATW
    Realistic Portraits and Eventpics - RS 2
    Legion Ancillaries - RS 2

Titus Antonius Brutus - 30 - Plebeian - Senator

Cassius begins to descend the steps. "I must be leaving anyways. I have a wedding to attend."

A snake of a voice hissed from the shadows as a pale man emerged, his abnormally large eyes surveyed the Senate floor, flashing their cold piercing gray. A smirk constantly played at the corners of his mouth, but he was clearly not amused.

Oh, but such bickering does always bring out the best of men, does it not? It reveals their true colors, their true intents, and their true... allegiances. I see no problem with subjugating these "allies" further. Particularly the ones who have chosen to voluntarily to leave us. Of course, our esteemed Praetor does bring up another good point. Why must we punish the ones who remained with us? Why should they too bear the brunt of their brethren who turned away from Rome's proud seven hills?

Why not come to a compromise, a compromise that would quell even the most militant voice of the Senate and the most ameliorate utterances? Why not use the allies of the other cities to ruthlessly put down the rebellion in Capua and Crotona? These tribes have been bickering with each other for centuries before we unified them, let them have a taste of the chaos that had reigned so supreme above them. At the same time, no Roman will bleed on behalf of Italian enfranchisement.

Does that satisfy your blood-lust, Aulus Caelius? Does that satisfy your call for amelioration, Naevius?

Turning his eyes to the Tribune, Pallas hissed.

Do not take your presumptions for granted. Greater men have died for pettier things.

ooc: This is an auxiliary character to speak when my main is out of senate. Also, Caesar Julianus Morelli, that's more than fair. Just make sure to tell us the results in an AAR-style fashion.

On another note: Pallas is back

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Cassius stops at the entrance and turns. He simply nods slowly, and walks out.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Senators, I ask that we all heed from our bickering. It is pointless." Imperious motioned his hands to settle down the Senate which for the past year has erupted with bickering over small issues and not the major ones. "I second your motion Consul Scaurus."
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Indeed,

Such childish behaviour is unbecoming of men of our stature,and I apologise for my part in it.

A messenger arrives to the Forum bearing word form Legatus Gn. Iunius Caesar...

Consuls and Senators,

I regret to inform you,there has been a delay in the march to Crotona.
    We have arrived on the Northern shores of Bruttium.
    Unfortunately, some of the men had become sick on the ships. I have allowed rest until most of the
    afflicted men have settled. We will continue the march on Crotona within a few hours of this notice
    reaching you.
    On another note, I have sent a spy into the city to bring back reports on the status of the garrison
    and the people of the settlement. I will keep you informed as we progress.

Gnaeus Iunius Caesar

Proud member of TFT.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

5 men arrived in front of the Senate; 1 Senator and 4 servants.
    "Stay here.", Primus Iuventius Crispinus said; "I won't be long...I hope. Some idiots just can't put aside old feuds or personal glory, nor can they actually make a decision and finish an argument. They are squabbling while Rome's enemies gain ground." Primus smiled to his servants and walked into the Senate, almost bumping into Senator Gaius Cassius Caudex. He entered the room where the Senate was discussing the recent events and silently sat down in the back next to a pillar.

He shook his head: "I'm going to observe this one", he thought to himself.

OOC: edit
    Some time later, a hasty servant arrives with a note:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Dearest Friend,
    You are invited to the wedding of Livia Valeria Prima and Gaius Cassius Caudex, at the home of Lucius Valerius Poplicola, to be held in the courtyard. Togas required. Wine will be served. Maximum of 2 slaves.

"Thank you, Marcus.", Primus whispered, not wanting to disturb the rest of the Senate; I'm currently busy here. Hurry yourself to the festivities and let it be known that I am held up here. Give them my best wishes."
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; December 21, 2010 at 05:05 AM.

Samariten's Avatar Senator

Albus rises from his seat and puts a sycophantic smile on his face with his arms wide. He is dressed in one of his extravagant togas.

"My fellow senators, fathers of Rome! We stand infront of a difficult task and a hard decision. Our sister city Capua is under the suppression of rebel scum! It is our duty to liberate the city at any cost." Albus pauses abit and raises his right hand in the air with a pointing finger. " Loosing the city in its first place was a total disaster itself especially when the city boost a large economic feed. We need that back, legions cost money, war cost money. Capua should be our first priority our honor is at stake, Romes honor is at stake. My fellow senators, friends, fathers of Rome. We should, no we must support the motion in progress for Rome and for our honor." Albus takes his seat again.

(I think the motion has gone through already though i wanted to make my first speech in the senate )

Lucius re-entered the senate, revived and absent of the disappointment he felt upon leaving the senate before.

I support Aemilius' motion. I believe it it a just punishment and even quite a lenient one given the circumstances of their treachery and I support it, therefore if the consul would be so kind as to put it to vote?

Lex Aemilia

I. All allied Italian cities are now to be placed under direct Roman control (ooc: no more automanaging)
    II. Taxes within Italian cities will be levied to be as high as possible without causing unrest
    III. Capua and Crotona will be deprived of the opportunity for citizenship for twenty years. Instead they will be granted the Civitas sine suffragio

I will also support the proposal put forth by Pallas of the Rutuli. I wish it to be put into formal motion. Nothing but the cohorts of our remaining allies should be used against the Latin League. This bill will also have my support as well and shall also be put to vote as soon as said formal motion is made realized.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Crispinus rose from the shadow of the pillar "I agree with senator Valerius and senator Rutulus. What better way to punish these petty rebels than to use their ancient enemies against them? Should this motion become official, it will have the full support of the Iuventii. It is time to end this madness. I'd also like to know what the Senate plans to do in Iberia. It is widely known that it is the very vein of the Carthaginian war machine. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam."

Crispinus calmly seated again.
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; December 22, 2010 at 03:28 AM.

Lucius was nearly dumbfounded by someone agreeing with him and it almost told on his face.

Consul Scaurus has been sent there with Imperium to relieve the governor and restore order to Emporiae, and afterward to push the Punics back to the Pillars of Herakles should he wish it so good Luventius. I have a good feeling about the campaign and trust his judgment...however, there are a few issues still to be had.

Septimus has fallen ill for the time being. Time being of the essence I motion that a replacement legate be sent to fulfill his objectives. If I would be so bold, I nominate myself to do so if there are no objections?

Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Crispinus noted Lucius Valerius' facial expression and smiled.
    Rising up again, Crispinus had an almost triumphant look on his face.
    "I object to senator Valerius' proposal."
    Looking around the Senate, Crispinus waited for a reaction.

Samariten's Avatar Senator

As Albus subcontractors were prospecting in the Emporiae area he rose ones more. "Fellow senators Emporiae is vital for the future Rome. We cannot simply let it be in hands of barbarians. The mines of iberia is the key to victory over the carthaginians with those in our hands we surely would end this skirmish with the african barbarians."

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

The Senate doors opened and Consul Basiliscus entered the hall. His expression was unreadable, though his eyes were red because of the lack of sleep over the past few days. After attending the funeral of his wife, he was prepared to focus entirely on his duties to Rome.
    He looked toward the senators and began.

I wish to voice my apology for not being present when the state of affairs demanded, for I had to attend my personal duties as a husband and a father.
    I am also concerned over the part my fellow consul, senator Scaurus played during my absence. For it was an unheard of thing, sacking a consul of his military imperium. I wonder if consul Scaurus hasn't given the positions of legates to his own clients, therefore assuring for himself total control and absolute power?

Since I am here, and senator Septimus is unable, I shall impose my right to deny senator Valerius' request to take the former's legion. I will take it myself and attack these rebels.
    As for consul's Scaurus Lex Aemilia, I concur with I and II, but I propose we strip them of their Allied and Client rule and Annex their terriories as Senate's lands.

I would like to hear from senator Septimus about his plans and I shall await him in person at my villa, where I shall be prepairing for leave.

With that said, he took his seat and waited for responses from the Senate.

Crispinus, satisfied with the outcome of his action, stood up from his seat, nodded at Consul Basiliscus and left the Senate, ordering his clients outside to follow him.

Annex them?If you all insist on bringing a bunch of sheep-loving half-breeds into our great Republic, then why not make them think of it as an honer?I have a proposal of my own.

In statua of Civitas res fundo ut nostrum Socius.

1.The loyal Allies of the Republic shall be granted full Citizenship immediately.
    2.The Rebel Cities in Southern Italy shall be granted Civitas sine suffragio
    3.Capua will be Required to supply half of the Quota of allied troops Rome requires.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast