PRAETOR
    TI. NAEVIVS MERVLA

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    C. CASSIVS CAVDEX

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Default Re: Consulate of Scaurus and Aquila - 537AUC

ooc: as posted by Tazgrent and chaplain at the end of the previous consulate

Several months later, Spring had graced the Republic. The new magistrates were about to be sworn in. However, a messenger ran into the Curia. "HONORED SENATORS!" he shouted. "I bring grim news. REBELLION SWEEPS THE LAND! The cities of Capua and Rhegion have ABANDONED THE LATIN ALLAINCE! Their garrisons have been cast out! They march against us under arms!
    Such things a mortal man should never have to see... and worse news! Emporion has joined their uprising, and they have taken control of the surrounding region! Our troops in Hispania are trapped! Such a grievous day..." The messenger falls to his knees and weeps."

Scaurus glowered at the messenger and rapped the floor with his cane.

Get up you sniveling coward. Are you a Roman or not?

He turned to the rest of the Senate.

So, are we to still ignore my warnings? Are we to still disobey the words of an old man? To deliberate when we had no time? To ponder things that should have been decided months ago?

Conscript Fathers, we are now on the edge of a blade, the tipping point that could potentially destroy the Republic. If this is the legacy of our previous consuls, then I can only hope that my consulship will bring us the order and stability that we so desperately need.
    ----new stuff------

Several senators shuffled in the back benches. Scaurus, the new consul, glowered at them. He no longer seemed the old man he once was, but filled with youth and vigor.

So, what is our course of direction, Conscript Fathers? Whom shall we send to Spain, and whom shall remain in Italy to deal with these rebels?

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Consul Scaurus, fellow senatores....now is the time to act, and act quickly. We have two, perhaps even three theatres of war. the first and most dire, is our own cities, Capua and Crotana. We must raise a legion to crush this rebellion and punish those responsible for the uprising. Our second, the Carthaginians are still on our northern border. We must handle them shortly before they can gain a foothold on our fair lands. and third, which i am not saying is not important, as surely it is, is to raise a second legion to relieve our forces in Hispania. This shall require great sacrifice among the Roman people, as well as from the coffers of the State and perhaps even from our own people. We MUST move quickly and decisivlely to mobilize our forces.

Consul, is there any reports on what forces we have currently ready to deploy, or at least nearly ready?

Julius spoke with concern, clearly loyal to his Republic. Scaurus is a wise man, and Julius smiled at the Consul, confident in his wisdom and abilities
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

We have a full consular army complete with medium and heavy cavalry and infantry as well as a few left overs from the Praetorian army yet to arrive from Sicily. An army I believe we can use to hit the enemy in the rear if used with care.

I can vouch for the quality and loyalty of the Allies in the army as well. They are deeply loyal to the army as of now and still high off their latest victory.
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

" A wise decision, Valerius. I agree. We must use the Consular army to sweep the rear. Take Crotana...perhaps then use a pincer movement and hit them with a Praetorian army from Rome? We must move quickly if we are to eliminate these rebels before they grow too powerful. I propose to send the Consular army in Sicily to attack the Rebel positions in the rear, as Valerius has said. Consul Scaurus i believe would be most suited to handling these rebels, and therefore propose that he lead the army."

We have two main garrisons within Italy that is capable of striking both our immediate enemies. The first is the army at Arretium, and the second is waiting for its commander on the Campus Martius. There is also the Sicilian legion, which should be mobilized from its current location and delivered to southern Italy to crush the rebellion at Crotona before it grows any worse.

But our most immediate concern is the enemy army at Capua. Two full legions of former allied troops that are well practiced in the Roman style of fighting. These are bloodthirsty men who would siege Rome and burn her to the ground before submitting themselves as their ancestors once did.

Conscript Fathers, we do not lack manpower to put down this revolt, but we must also take note that the enemy at Capua will be inclined to move against Cannae to exploit its weak garrison and still maintain enough manpower to actively attack Rome herself. Therefore, whosoever should receive imperium within Italy to deal with the revolt must assault the armies at Capua.

I will open the floor for nominations.

Crusades

agreed, Consul. Does the wise Aemilius Scaurus have any input to the matter of whom to send?

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Basiliscus entered the senate chamber in haste.

I apologize, noble senators for my delay. I have heard of the grave news and propose we do as my fellow consul says. One of us should remain in Italy and the other should take control in Hispania. I do not care which of these imperiums I will get as long as it is decided quickly.
    i regret that this has befallen us in my mandate, but I do not run from my responsibilities as consul.

Basiliscus turned to Scaurus.

Consul, shall we start the vote?

A dispatch arrived from Hispania bearing the seal of the Governor,

Conscript fathers,

News no doubt has reached you of the uprising of Emporiae, with the previous Consuls removal of the garrison the city seized it's chance to break free of Roman rule, perhaps an oversight on the half of ex-Consul Imperious to remove the whole of our force from the town. It would be greatly appreciated if the remnants of the garrison would be returned to the city for retraining follow what I am sure will be a swift recapture of the city under the new Consuls. The building measures I implemented due to what may be seen by some as the ex-Consuls negligence have failed to keep the city in check. I hope the Senate see fit to take Emporiae and show the true might of Roman rule.

Titus Cassius Gerges, Governor of Hispania
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

"Senators, the Praetorian army has been moved to camp Circeus months ago. It is in a prime position to join up with the Arretium troops for a strike south along the Via Appia. I suggest one consul takes that army and crushes the Rebellion."

Conscript fathers, though it does indeed sadden me to say this as it may seem a sign of betrayal of my office, but I cannot accept imperium in Italy, not having so adamantly called for imperium in Spain as of last term. And with the voting of Hispania to fall under consular imperium, I cannot turn away from my promises. However, seeing the very nature of this rebellion, I suggest a different approach.

Consul Titus Basiliscus shall take the Arretium garrison and strike at the Capuan armies while Praetor Naevius is to take Capua proper. And as we cannot ignore the problem in Crotona either, I see it fitting to appoint a legate from within these hallowed halls as the ad hoc commander of the Sicilian legion and allow him to take Crotona. I think Senator Gaius Julius Septimus has expressed his ardor for the Republic, now let him prove it.

I propose a motion

Senatus Consultum De Bello Sociis

1. Consul Basiliscus is to attack the Capuan armies
    2. Praetor Naevius is to assault Capua proper
    3. Gaius Julius Septimus is to be appointed ad hoc commander of the Sicilian legion and attack Crotona

Crusades

Is an entire legion needed to take Crotona?It seems rather excessive for one town of fools with delusions of grandeur.

Senators, If I may. Spoke Gnaeus...

I sat idly by, listening to the arguments made. I had proposed we make haste on every action we are to take. Now, I feel we must act with even more haste. These uprisings must be put down at all cost, any show of weekness strengthens our enemies resolve in the minds of the people. If senator Gaius Julius Septimus approves I would like to take command of the Sicilian Legion. I will march out of here within the hour and fall on the enemy with swift justice, for our great republic.

Gnaeus sat down with much hope to be allowed to bring the uprisings to an end and prove his worth to the republic.

Proud member of TFT.

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

"The Senate should keep in mind there is no more Sicilian legion. All of our forces have been concentrated near Rome and Arretium. These are the forces at our disposal."

Then there is no need to debate a course of action,the Rebels must be crushed,the only danger I perceive is that we spend to long nattering like old women rather then on killing every last one of the bastards.

While you deliberate then, would anyone mind if I would reform the legions on the Field of Mars in proper order? They were wintered anywhere where replacements could be found and I know these men better than anyone here and I know which cohorts will fight better together.

Would I have your leave to do so senators?
    Last edited by dragoon47; January 12, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"Whatever must be done to combat this rebellion which has threatened the core of the Republic must be dealt with." Imperious had arrived to the new session of a new Consulate. The man he'd argued with days earlier had become Consul. "Consul Scaurus's motion I believe is perfect for this situation." Imperious looked at Scaurus; despite his attitude and heated discussion against the man, he respected him.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

The Sicilian legion that I speak of is currently in Italy, stationed at the very edges of Latium. That gives us roughly three legions to contend against the enemy with. And as we have still not seen my consular colleague yet, it is safe to assume he is unable to react so quickly to the threat in southern Italy. Therefore, I would move to amend my proposal.

Senatus Consultum de Bello Sociis Puniciisque

1. Cn. Iunius Caesar is to be in charge of the assault against the enemy at Crotona with the legion currently stationed at the northern border of Latium
    2. C. Julius Septimus will be taking on the task of assaulting the Capuan enemies with the garrison in the Campus Martius.
    3. Should Praetor Naevius not be present, then Julius Septimus will move on to Capua proper after defeating the enemy armies.
    4. Consul L. Aemilius shall take command of Iberia and retake Emporiae from rebel hands before directing his attention to the Carthaginians

When I hear a second to the proposal, the motion will be put forth to vote.

Crusades

Seconded.

Well then,are we all in agreement?

Though years of training allowed him to hide it from the rest of the senate,Caldus was becoming more and more frustrated at the amount of time it was taking the Senate to officially decide on the only real course of action.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I support this motion, even tough it's against my believes as the elected Consuls should fight the wars of rome and not others if they are still fit to do so.
    However a Civil war isn't something we can take lightly and thus laws and tradition may regrettably have to be put a side.

I will fight for the city and bring back the order and Law of the Roman Republic to the city of Capua and those that resist me will be put to the afterlife.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast