Thread: custom cities

Default custom cities

Recently the Third Age LOTR mod has shown off their breakthrough allowing custom cities with custom building. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=409073&highlight=Third+Age I’m sure everyone has seen this by now. Does this mod intend to take advantage of this? If so what cities would you do, Rome Carthage, Constantinople etc. And as a side thought, I wonder would it be possible to port RTW’s cities and buildings to Medieval 2 as a place holder until you folks can remodel new building in the higher detail of M2tw, I ask this because I've noticed you've reused a lot of icons form RTW already.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: custom cities

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBee256 View Post
    Recently the Third Age LOTR mod has shown off their breakthrough allowing custom cities with custom building. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=409073&highlight=Third+Age I’m sure everyone has seen this by now. Does this mod intend to take advantage of this? If so what cities would you do, Rome Carthage, Constantinople etc. And as a side thought, I wonder would it be possible to port RTW’s cities and buildings to Medieval 2 as a place holder until you folks can remodel new building in the higher detail of M2tw, I ask this because I've noticed you've reused a lot of icons form RTW already.
    Thanks for the post, KillerBee256. It is something the team can look at for future releases of IB2.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Morfans's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Thanks for the post, KillerBee256. It is something the team can look at for future releases of IB2.
    I was just thinking the same. Those medieval building models spoil the immersion ...

Someone asked about the RTW porting to M2TW and Makanyane answered it is certainly possible in the new IWTE environment, but the process is not automated (yet?).

On the other hand, do we actually need an accurate model of V century cities, in the first instance ? Short-term, I would be happy with some limited texturing and the basic removal of a few anachronistic structures ...

[Note that Rhaymo & JohnWhile are intensely working on such things for the Italian mod "De Bello Mundi]

-
    Last edited by Morfans; December 19, 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morfans View Post
    I was just thinking the same. Those medieval building models spoil the immersion ...

Someone asked about the RTW porting to M2TW and Makanyane answered it is certainly possible in the new IWTE environment, but the process is not automated (yet?).

On the other hand, do we actually need an accurate model of V century cities, in the first instance ? Short-term, I would be happy with some limited texturing and the basic removal of a few anachronistic structures ...

[Note that Rhaymo & JohnWhile are intensely working on such things for the Italian mod "De Bello Mundi]

-
    What I was able to do was after extracting all MTW2 files, re texture some of the buildings(through blockset folder) to at least look European in nature. It appears hard coded that certain cultures take on certain cultural architecture so it was necessary to at least find some of those building characteristics and modifying them as best as possible. Examples would be windows, doors walls etc... So it was at least possible to work on many of the little aspects...We will certainly see if this can be further progressed
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 19, 2010 at 08:45 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    Examples would be windows, doors walls etc... So it was at least possible to work on many of the little aspects...We will certainly see if this can be further progressed
    That's what I had in mind.

I can well imagine redoing churches or governor palaces can take a lot of time - but maybe what they term "default structures" (ie common houses ... or insulae) are more important to the context - with all the details you mentioned.

But are you saying these are available now ? I didn't realize that.

-

That's what I had in mind.

I can well imagine redoing churches or governor palaces can take a lot of time - but maybe what they term "default structures" (ie common houses ... or insulae) are more important to the context - with all the details you mentioned.

But are you saying these are available now ? I didn't realize that.

-
    It not possible to my knowlede removing certain buildings and structures but we have been able to re-do them. The most hiddious example, the golden dome, I cant remove yet but at the very least I can make it look like an exotic stone or wooden struture

I have had only so much time to work on this or the mod would never get done unfortunately, but am satisfied with the results at the very least. I like to look at it as a base level project thus far that will be improved upon.
    Last edited by Riothamus; December 19, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    The most hiddious example, the golden dome, I cant remove yet but at the very least I can make it look like an exotic stone or wooden struture

I have had only so much time to work on this or the mod would never get done unfortunately, but am satisfied with the results at the very least.
    Sorry to insist, but I am a bit confused.

Do you mean you have done that already and the tweaked buildings will be seen - for instance - in the Arthurian mod being released now ? In case, how difficult would it be (for moderately skilled fans like me) to import the modified settlements into Africa Vandalorum ?

-

Sorry to insist, but I am a bit confused.

Do you mean you have done that already and the tweaked buildings will be seen - for instance - in the Arthurian mod being released now ? In case, how difficult would it be (for moderately skilled fans like me) to import the modified settlements into Africa Vandalorum ?

-
    Yes They have been modified for the Britannia campaign for release. Also new music
    I wouldn't try importing them over unless you new what you doing. We will look at this for the Vandals campaign but the Buildings for that campaign are not too out of whack. But when you got factions like the Pict's and Gaels, settlements definitely need modifying. I'll expound on the new musc soon.