Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TROM2 v2.0 BETA

Icon4 TROM2 v2.0 BETA

Since the new TROM2 v2.0 has a lot of gameplay changes and I can't test everything extensively, I decided to release a BETA before the final release. If you dare to download it, please provide some feedback. IMPORTANT: If you use the Battlefield Smoke Mod (BSM) for TROM2, deactivate it if you play the BETA! Otherwise all the changes to the weapons won't show up. You can check if the BETA is installed properly by looking at the range of the line infantry: If it says 95, everything is fine. Enjoy the BETA!

TROM2 2.0 BETA

MANY CHANGES IN 2.0 ARE NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND FINISHING ANY ONGOING CAMPAIGN BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW VERSION TO AVOID BUGS AND GLITCHES!

Highlights

New Playabel Nation: Portugal

• Portugal is now fully enabled as playable nation with access to all TROM2 AOR units
    • New campaign missions
    • 8 new units for Portugal (see below)
    • Portugal starts allied with Britain and has a bad relationship with Spain
    • Militia and Ordenza got their stats increased (historically Portugal had a strong militia tradition to defend against Spain)

Gameplay Tips: Surviving the Napoleonic wars as Portugal is a feat in itself. In the early game your only hope is that your ally Britain can dominate the sea, so you are not cut off from the crucial trade income. Build up your land forces quickly to be able to counter any Spanish or French invasion. Your army lacks heavy cavalry, but your light troops are rather good. Your militia is another asset, because it is cheap and better trained then militia of other nations (due to the long standing tradition of militia troops in Portugal).

All Garrison Units Revamped

Revised the garrison troops the game spawns when cities get attacked. Instead of having only armed citizenry as defenders, there are now 4 types of troops. This makes playing with and against garrison units more interesting:

• Armed Citizenry: represents 2nd rate town militia (140 men strong)
    • City militia: regular militia (140 men strong)
    • Reserve infantry: represents reserve, depot and fortress infantry; stats are equal to standard line infantry (120 men strong)
    • Region specific units: Tiroler Landesschützen Reserve (60 men strong; Tyrol only); British Fencible Cavalry (45 men strong; British homelands only); Cossack Reserve Cavalry (45 men strong; Russian provinces with cossack resource)

Massed Formations Part II: Cavalry Attack Columns and Massed Cavalry

Napoleonic battlefields not only saw the use of massive formations of infantry but also the massed use of cavalry, sometimes in gigantic proportions, like the French cavalry column at Eylau with estimated 9000 horses. In TROM2 on a much smaller scale the concentration of cavalry will be represented by two kinds of oversized cavalry units: The cavalry column and massed cavalry.

Cavalry columns are composed of heavy cavalry (cuirassiers or heavy dragoons) and are 90 men strong. They come in a 5 rank deep default formation. Cavalry columns are less manouvreable then normal cavalry units, and both their run and charge speed is lower. Their charge value is lowered by -2, but they got +1 point in defence and moral. Cavalry columns are too clumsy to be used against other cavalry and are very vulnerable to artillery. However, they can smash enemy infantry in line formation and may even overpower squares. The massed formations technology is needed to recruit them, but France will have this technology right from the start.

• France: Attack Column of Cuirassiers (3 units); Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (3 units)
    • Austria: Attack Column of Cuirassiers (1 unit); Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (2 units)
    • Prussia: Attack Column of Cuirassiers (1 unit); Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (2 units)
    • Russia: Attack Column of Cuirassiers (1 unit); Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (2 units)
    • Britain, Spain, Denmark, Sweden: Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (2 units)

Massed cavalry represents hordes of light cavalry used by the Ottomans and the Russians (cossacks). They don't need to be researched and are available right from the start. They are made up of 90 men strong units in a 4 ranks deep loose formation. Otherwise their stats are unchanged.

• Russia: Cossack Horde (2 units)
    • Ottomans: Massed Dehli Horsemen (4 units)

Naval Combat Changes

Most major naval engagements between ships of the line were decided at very close ranges. While heavy guns could theoretically fire over distances of 1-2 miles, the accuracy as well as the penetration power at that distances was so low, that long range fire against heavy warships was useless. This was best demonstrated at the battle of Trafalgar, were the French/Spanish fleet fired on the British ships from long range for over an hour, but couldn't prevent them from closing in. For TROM2 I decided to have a maximum effective range of 700 for all guns with the exception of carronades.

Changes to Guns and Ranges
    • Maximum effective range of solid shot is uniformly set to 700 for normal guns.
    • Carronades have a range of 300.
    • Maximum effective range of grape shot is uniformly set to 150 regardless of gun type.
    • Chain shots have the same range as solid shots (chain shot now represents gunners aiming at masts and sails with solid shot AND chain shot).
    • Fixed a vanilla NTW bug: Chain shots do proper hull damage now and no longer just fly through the hull and cause massive losses of guns.
    • Chain shot does 50% of the damage of solid shots to the hull, but 200% damage to sail and rigging.
    • The damage of solid shots to sail and rigging was increased.
    • Small guns do proportional more damage to sail and rigging then big guns (bigger guns still do more absolute damage).

Changes to Ships
    • Bow and stern guns of all ships are changed to slightly more accurate long range guns.
    • Accuracy of all ships is reduced. You need to go very near to make your broadsides count.
    • Ships cost less upkeep (20% of build costs like land units).

Changes to Naval Moral
    • Overall ships will fight longer before routing or surrendering compared to previous TROM2 versions
    • Reduced moral penalties caused by fire and the death of admirals

Gameplay Tips: Use frigates and smaller ships at long range with chain shot to dismast bigger enemy ships. Grape shot is very effective to sweep the open decks and disable the guns there by killing the crews. However, it's useless if you can not hit the open deck or there are no more targets to hit there.

Additional Optional Submods

These three 3 submods are purely optional and make different aspects of the game easier. Don't use them if you are a happy with the challenge TROM2 provides.

trom2_easier_economy_submod.pack: Reduces the upkeep, policing costs and building prizes for the player.
    trom2_even_easier_economy_submod.pack: Same as above but with a stronger reduction of costs for the player.
    trom2_stronger_moral_effects_submod.pack: Casualities have a stronger impact on moral and units will rout with less casualities. Will make battles and the campaign a bit easier for the player.

ALL MODS LABELED "SUBMOD" MUST BE ABOVE TROM2_CORE.PACK IN THE FILE LIST

The Magnificent Rest!

Improvements & Changes
    • Changed range of muskets to 95, carbines to 110 and skirmishers muskets to 125. This will improve the formation behaviour of the AI and prevents excessive melee.
    • Changed the minimum unit strength to 15% (a unit below this threshold gets disbanded)
    • Moral reworked: artillery and musket fire has a stronger effect on moral (-6/-3)
    • Some ships of the line are available earlier
    • Some changes to recruitment behaviour by the CAI (will recruit less cavalry and grenadiers; will only recruit the AI only light infantry and infantry columns)
    • Added unit limits for grenadiers and cuirassiers
    • Reduced unit limits for some AOR units
    • Added new aiming animations by Oby for skirmishers and light infantry. They will aim longer before fireing their muskest and rifles (adapted the reload times, so the rate of fire is unchanged).
    • Hungarian units are now also available in Croatia and Transylvania, which is historically more correct

Fixes

• Fixed Napoleon not starting with the guarded trait in the TROM2 campaign
    • Capturing the Danish fleet mission should now work
    • Fixed several issues with unit recruitment in the Egypt campaign
    • Fixed AI missile cavalry not skirmishing

New Units
    • 1st Cacadores (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • 6th Cacadores (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • 1st Portuguese Cavalry (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Loyal Lusitanian Legion Infantry (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Loyal Lusitanian Legion Artillery (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Loyal Lusitanian Legion Light Dragoons (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Corps of Mounted Guides (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Royal Militia Volunteers (Portugal; also Peninsular War)
    • Massed Deli Horsemen (Ottomans)
    • Cossack Horde (Russia)
    • Attack Column of Cuirassiers (Austra, France, Prussia, Russia)
    • Attack Column of Heavy Dragoons (all playable nations with exception of Ottomans)
    • Several new garrison units (all nations)

Credits & Thanks

LtChambers, Alpaca, Erasmus777, husserlTW, The Vicar, and others for their work to make moding NTW possible
    Bart07 for some unit variant files and text descriptions
    EmperorBatman999 for some unit variants and texts from his Foreign Legions mod
    Lutland for some unit pics from his artillery mod
    Thomas Cochrane for his "Trafalgar Fleet Fix"
    ProLurker for parts of his "Fäderneslandet" mod
    md1453 for letting us use many units from the "Ottoman Units Mod NTW" and the "Prussian Mounted Jager" mod
    Zaskar70 for the units from the British Cavalry Mod
    PDGuru's for the "Much Lesser Rebels Mod" and for his nice screenshots
    Ltflak for promoting the mod with his videos
    Oby for new aiming animations for muskets and rifles
    Everybody else who contributes to the development of the mod in the TROM2 forum of TWCenter

INSTALLATION

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    INSTALLATION
    To play TROM2 you need to install trom2_core.pack, trom2_text.pack, trom2_enable_campaigns_01.pack and the campaign files in the campaign directory. The trom2_extras.pack is optional as is the trom2_easier_economy_submod.pack.

1. Copy all the files in the zip into your ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\data directory
    2. Use the ModManger in the 'Mod Manger for NTW' directory to enable all the relevant files or do it manually with the user script

The order of files should be like this (ALL MODS LABELED "SUBMOD" SHOULD BE ABOVE TROM2_CORE.PACK IN THE FILE LIST):

trom2_stronger_moral_effects_submod.pack (optional; only use if you want to have less casualities in battles)
    trom2_easier_economy_submod.pack OR trom2_even_easier_economy_submod.pack (optional; only use if you want to have an easier economy)
    trom2_core.pack (MANDATORY)
    trom2_enable_campaigns_01.pack (optional for playing the custom TROM2 campaigns; disable when you want to play the Peninsular DLC)
    trom2_extras.pack (optional; not part of this release)

IMPORTANT:If you use the Battlefield Smoke Mod (BSM) for TROM2, deactivate it if you play the BETA! Otherwise all the changes to the weapons won't show up. You can check if the BETA is installed properly by looking at the range of the line infantry: If it says 95, everything is fine.

UNINSTALL

To permanently uninstall TROM2, delete all files starting with trom2 in the data directory. Then overwrite the campaign directory with the original campaign files provided in the backup_campaign_files.zip.

IMPORTANT: Choosing the right difficulty with TROM2 2.0

- Starting with 1.7 the difficulty levels in TROM2 only influence the aggressiveness of the AI toward the player. The economic and other game variables are the same on each difficulty level with the exception of the Peninsular Campaign, where you get more starting money and higher money boosts the lower the difficulty. So, if you want a cautious, less aggressive AI play on easy or medium. If you want a total war with everybody play on very hard. For the battles we recommend hard difficulty, but you can also play on very hard if you don't mind the BAI getting strong bonuses for it's units.

- By default the economy in TROM2 is rather harsh to offer a challenge for experienced players. While 1.8 has an easier starting economy then previous versions, if you like to play with even more money at hand you can install the TROM_easy_economy_submod.pack on top of your normal TROM2 installation. This submod changes the economic penalties for the player (less upkeep; lowered unit and building costs). The bonuses for the AI are the same as in the standard version. For the Peninsular Campaign just lower the difficulty to get more money.

IMPORTANT: Playing the TROM2 custom campaigns

The TROM2 custom campaigns are enabled with the trom2_enable_campaigns_01.pack. Enable the pack with the mod manager or the user script. While the custom campaigns are enabled you won't be able to start a Pensinsular Campaign because of a script conflict. Just disable the TROM2 custom campaigns if you want to play the DLC.

The full version is out! See the TROM2 2.0 release thread!
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; December 23, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Default Re: TROM2 v2.0 BETA

I'm getting a ctd when trying to launch this.

Not the first time I play, but I can not start this version!

I have CTD too..

CTD when??? I just downloaded from Megaupload, installed it and started the campaign as France. No problems. Please check your installation. Is everything in the /data folder? Did you overwrite the campaign directory? Did you uncheck BSM (if you use it)?

Game crashes during startup, before intro. No other mods, no extras, no submods. Game files integrity checked via steam.

Same with me, vanilla works with no problems. I double checked my installation, but still a no go.

All coincides, I can confirm only!
    Last edited by yantar007; December 18, 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Found the problem! I had a file in my installation that the game loaded but was missing in the pack. I will fix this asap.

EDIT: Uploaded a new version! Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; December 18, 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Thank you for your efforts!

Thanks! All works! Only how to be with BSM ? BSM very much is pleasant to me!

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by yantar007 View Post
    Thanks! All works! Only how to be with BSM ? BSM very much is pleasant to me!
    There will be a TROM2 2.0 compatible version.

altbzat's Avatar Libertus

looks awesome ! downloading now, and will of course give som feedback when ready
    Gloria Finis

Yarkis,

Is it possible for you to only upload the file that repairs the "Capture Danish fleet" mission? And if yes, do I also need to start a new campaign and turn off BSM if you get the correct file for me?

Please , I don't want to play the beta yet. Just want to finish what I started, but with the mission that I can't complete. At least, if changing the file won't affect nothing else except the mission itself.

Could you do that, please?

Quote Originally Posted by KamilW View Post
    Yarkis,

Is it possible for you to only upload the file that repairs the "Capture Danish fleet" mission? And if yes, do I also need to start a new campaign and turn off BSM if you get the correct file for me?

Please , I don't want to play the beta yet. Just want to finish what I started, but with the mission that I can't complete. At least, if changing the file won't affect nothing else except the mission itself.

Could you do that, please?
    I am sorry, but the fix will not work for savegames, only if you haven't conquered Denmark yet. Anyway, here is the file. You need to put it into the mp_euro_napoleon campaign directory. Make a backup of the old script file first (just in case).

Thanks!! I haven't conquered Denmark yet, so I think/hope it will work! Thanks again! Appreciated!

I hope its finally fixed. Give me feedback if it works.

Since nobody seems to find any major bug I will release TROM2 v2.0 with some additional changes and all submods (including a updated BSM) at christmass.
    Last edited by Yarkis de Bodemloze; December 21, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

The mission with the Danish fleet is fixed. It works, you get two battle ships.

But then right after you get them and you want in the next few turns land in Britain, the situation gets complicated. The Swedish fleet is nearby and attacks you ships immediately (you can win the battle but with many losses), then the Danish fleet is also somewhere there. And Saxony + its allies Prussia and Austria declare war on Bavaria. Join my ally Bavaria and help them out against Saxony and Prussia or not is the question now . I have to abandon all my plans because an Austrian army is advancing in Italy, a Russian one is already in Bavaria and the Prussians are marching on Hannover. Damn!

Vangar's Avatar Tiro

Will TROM2 2.0 BETA savegames be compatible with the released version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast