Thread: Question

Default Question

Hello,
    Does ROW contain cool smoke effects and blood effects like NOW? I think the vanilla effects are a bit lack luster, and its almost a deciding factor because i'm trying to pick a mod.

Default Re: Question

ROW purposely contains much more graphical and gory effects than any other NTW mod. Huge blood spurts and s of smoke. Any war buff will enjoy the surroundings on a ROW battlefield.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Marshal Beale ♠ View Post
    ROW purposely contains much more graphical and gory effects than any other NTW mod. Huge blood spurts and s of smoke. Any war buff will enjoy the surroundings on a ROW battlefield.
    And about changes in musketry range, effects and unit sizes? Are there differences from stock game?
    Thanks
    soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

Units sizes are the same, thats to compensate for the higher graphical quality of the mod. Musket rates are slightly lower and ranges are the same.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Marshal Beale ♠ View Post
    Units sizes are the same, thats to compensate for the higher graphical quality of the mod. Musket rates are slightly lower and ranges are the same.
    That's good! I don't like supermods with enlarged units sizes, Bigger doesn't mean better! Also the increased reload time is a good thing, their casualty rate in stock game is pretty too high. Maybe, current musket range of 85/100 for line and light infantry could be increased a little,maybe to 100/110...stock firefights seems a little too close to me...

however, keep up the good work! i'm eager to download the new version!

cheers!
    soult
    "What is difficult in training will become easy in a battle" Alexander V. Suvorov

ROW manages to offer that cinematic appeal that the vanilla version just didn't have. I've seen mods where the lethality is too low (making battle span for hours) and I've seen the CA version where you can't make a single move without losing half a regiment. ROW, however is a PERFECT balance between lethality (muskets' rate of fire along with accuracy) AND the allowance of strategic maneuverability. This, in turn, creates a realistically-paced, esthetically pleasing battlefield that can appease even the choosiest of players. As for the graphics... blood, blood, and some more blood. This game is simply a tapestry of battle at its most gritty and volatile form. When a musket ball strikes flesh, the blood effect is triggered in perfect timing and in the appropriate place, making this a very personal and emotional battle, seeing one's men bleeding on the field. Also, the smoke is improved ten-fold from its predecessor NOW. The smoke lays on the field, yes, (as it SHOULD) but it also allows a little translucency as to allow the gamer to see his troops still firing and keep a better bird's eye view of the battlefield without those God-forsaken floating flags. So, I give the ROW team a hearty well done for finding that perfect mix of blood and guts and the whiff of sulfur!!!

Amen to that, AA

However, I have always wondered why light inf - being equipped with muskets just like standard line inf - has higher range instead of just higher accuracy. The real issue was 'effective range' and I dont think that is fairly represented in game by line inf not being able to shoot at all at light inf across a river...

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by King Musa View Post
    Amen to that, AA

However, I have always wondered why light inf - being equipped with muskets just like standard line inf - has higher range instead of just higher accuracy. The real issue was 'effective range' and I dont think that is fairly represented in game by line inf not being able to shoot at all at light inf across a river...
    Yes, technically that's right...light infantry was equipped with smoothbore muskets, but CA choice let them harass the enemy from a slightly longer range, exactly what they did in reality. I particularly like CA choice of the first-rank fire only for line infantry. increasing the frontage you increase the firepower, but on the other hand you make your line thinner and more vulnerable. I really hope ROW will mantain that stock feature!

soult

Quote Originally Posted by King Musa View Post
    Amen to that, AA

Good call King Musa, just about every army in Europe used their standard smooth bores for the light infantry. The British at the time employed the Brown Bess Model III; the French stood true to the immaculate Charleville. See, historically speaking, "light" and "line" infantry were really both stand-and-fight kinds of troops. The only distinction between the two was their positioning: light infantry took the left, regulars the center, and grenadiers the right. It wasn't but a few nations (namely Austria) who employed loosely formed skirmish companies (jaegers). So yes, I agree completely with you: the range SHOULD be the same, and the accuracy just increased (and for the love of God make it more than an increase of five!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Autocrat View Post
    Good call King Musa, just about every army in Europe used their standard smooth bores for the light infantry. The British at the time employed the Brown Bess Model III; the French stood true to the immaculate Charleville. See, historically speaking, "light" and "line" infantry were really both stand-and-fight kinds of troops. The only distinction between the two was their positioning: light infantry took the left, regulars the center, and grenadiers the right. It wasn't but a few nations (namely Austria) who employed loosely formed skirmish companies (jaegers). So yes, I agree completely with you: the range SHOULD be the same, and the accuracy just increased (and for the love of God make it more than an increase of five!!!)
    Also Prussia Russia and 95th Rifles used rifled carbines since the late XVIII century, but, as you said, jager warfare was different from light infantry warfare . Light infantry of the napoleonic era often fought exactly like line infantry, except for the fact that light infantrymen were trained also for fighting in open order, and in the field, part of the light inf. battalions opened up in loose (altought schematized) order ahead of the infantry formed in line. This kind of fighting was reserved only for elite, highly trained troops, since fighting without the moral assistance of comrades close by was a moral shock, even if spaces between each couple of light infantrymen rarely exceeded a 6-paces distance, and to avoid the general skirmishing line could deteriorate, in that case, rallying would be extremely difficult, and even an handful of cavalrymen could easily rout the whole skirmishing line. The light infantry role was to harass the enemy line infantry from extreme range, so they caused really few casualties, but their role was to harass the enemy formation, making the enemy lose their nerves. The line infantrymen on the other hand cannot return fire in an adequate manner, since they cannot expend too many cartridges, their fire was pretty much uneffective against the even-spaced and small targets in front of them and they had to keep their ammo for the firefight with their enemy counterpart. For that reason I found that light infantry in the game is perfect as it is now, Let them outshoot line infantry a bit! I'm also for the reduction of accuracy to line infantry standards!
    Ofcourse, this is my point of view!

cheers!!!!
    soult
    Last edited by Marshall Soult; December 20, 2010 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Soult View Post
    Also Prussia Russia and 95th Rifles used rifled carbines since the late XVIII century, but, as you said, jager warfare was different from light infantry warfare . Light infantry of the napoleonic era often fought exactly like line infantry, except for the fact that light infantrymen were trained also for fighting in open order, and in the field, part of the light inf. battalions opened up in loose (altought schematized) order ahead of the infantry formed in line. This kind of fighting was reserved only for elite, highly trained troops, since fighting without the moral assistance of comrades close by was a moral shock, even if spaces between each couple of light infantrymen rarely exceeded a 6-paces distance, and to avoid the general skirmishing line could deteriorate, in that case, rallying would be extremely difficult, and even an handful of cavalrymen could easily rout the whole skirmishing line. The light infantry role was to harass the enemy line infantry from extreme range, so they caused really few casualties, but their role was to harass the enemy formation, making the enemy lose their nerves. The line infantrymen on the other hand cannot return fire in an adequate manner, since they cannot expend too many cartridges, their fire was pretty much uneffective against the even-spaced and small targets in front of them and they had to keep their ammo for the firefight with their enemy counterpart. For that reason I found that light infantry in the game is perfect as it is now, Let them outshoot line infantry a bit! I'm also for the reduction of accuracy to line infantry standards!
    Ofcourse, this is my point of view!

cheers!!!!
    soult
    Through Flanders, Portugal, and Spain... King George commands and we obey, over the hills and far away. Yes, those 95th Rifles were an exception. Keep in mind, they were actually the predecessor to the modern concept of skirmishing. In fact, they weren't even liked by the War Ministry at first, just a guinea pig regiment. And the morale was definitely a factor. British troops particularly couldn't fight in loose formations (especially in forest where the men could easily defect rank). Perhaps the best example of this was the Battle of the Monongahela where General Braddock refused to allow the Virginia Blues to fight in skirmish order (they had to keep their line) because he feared a mass retreat due to lack of close supervision. Consequently, they suffered many casualties from the French and natives who were sniping. So, although this style would be effective in terms of sheer tactics, it was not logistically feasible when morale comes into play.

For this reason, I think the skirmisher in ROW should have a morale effect on line troops, or any non-light infantry troops (cavalry included) because a fear of enemy sniping. This would work much in the same way as those pesky elephants did in Empire, where your troops stained their breeches whenever they lumbered on by. In turn your regiment would rout very quickly- lose a good handful of men in the process- and then regroup. Because as things stand, skirmishers just aren't worth their weight in shot. To counter this, you would be a tad less cavalier with your horse troops and try to target the enemy's light troops with your artillery (an invariably tricky cat-and-mouse game). Ah, then these battle wouldn't be simply bum rushing twenty units of line infantry over the hill bayonets gleaming... it would be a moving chess board, where one wrong move can put you three steps behind your opponent.