Thread: The Helios: TWC News, issue III

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

Default The Helios: TWC News, issue III

THE HELIOS
    Brought to you by: Grimsta, Imb39, and Jesus the Inane

Hello! Welcome to the Helios, im GrimSta and I will be sort of presenting this little slice of TWC News.
    As this is the first Helios Editorial and also the third edition of The Helios I feel like I should be trying to catch up on something, but im not going to. Instead I'll introduce this magnificant journal to you - the TWC General Populace.
    We intend to bring all the latest goings on at TWC and compile them in this one thread for all your viewing needs.
    We have a magnificent team of the best reporters we could secure from TWC.

This issue is somewhat rushed due to the fact our boss has left, but im sure you will all find it just as enjoyable!!

Without Further Ado, here is the News!

The Mudpit rates as one of the most popular sub-forums at this site with about 41,000 posts. There are a range of topics under discussion at the moment. Of course, some topics dominate – but one keeps on vexing the members of this site – Iraq and the War on Terror. I have linked these two subjects as has the political elite, despite evidence to the contrary.

I have already highlighted thread, US to make Iraq troop level cuts, but there are others out there. This thread, however, is still keeping its momentum going! I will not dwell on this thread any longer as it has already been mentioned.

Bigfootedfred, one of our more prolific members, has started the thread, Mosques under surveillance. In this he has posted sources that indicate that the Coalition is monitoring mosques within Iraq in the belief that they are being used as bases/storage depots. The surveillance, however, is being conducted within America, and not Iraq - as many might have thought. This is in fact a slight exaggeration, most of the covert operations have been conducted against Muslim organisations/holdings. Mosques, clearly come under that heading.

Danzig has pointed out the use of mosques within Iraq as safe havens for the insurgents whilst others, notably Marshal Qin and Erik have countered with their own arguments, essentially that it is provocative. Hapsburg feels that all religious buildings should be monitored. This is not a popular idea, though. As cowen70 has noted, 'this is playing the odds' and 'There is zero chance of Hindu terrorism in this country right now so why would we bother watching them. When was the last time in the UK a Sikh planted a bomb? What about Jehovah's witness (unless you can count their door to door activities as terrorism)?'

This is all quite compelling reading, I'm sure you'll agree!

On a lighter note within the 'Pit, we've also been discussing the adventures of a certain Farris Hassan. Many thanks to danzig for flagging this story. Whilst there is a general consensus that this kid was naive, at best, he was also quite brave in his quest. Danzig, again, spells it out quite well...
    you missed the point, yes it wasn't smart for him to attempt to it but you have to admire he was determined enough to do it. He went there because he didn't know it, that was the whole point of his class to immerse yourself in it to see what its like from their point of view. Yes it wasn't too smart but the kid did more trying to live up to his journalism class then most 'professional' journalist do today.
    . Evan_Kikla has countered,
    This kid was dumb and ignorant and i don't know why hes getting so much glorification. He has know other ties to Iraq other than his parents who haven't been there in 35 years. He doesn't practice Islam and has no or very little knowledge of the Muslim culter. Essentially he's a white-boy who thought he will be accepted in Iraq because he is "Iraqi".
    This kid isn't brave, he was just to stupid to realise the Dangers. To be brave you must know what your getting into and accepts the fact that what you are doing is dangerous, this Kid is not brave, just an Idiot.
    As the story has unfolded and the background/implications have been discussed, this story has taken a few twists and turns in our perceptions. An interesting thread that spotlights Iraq, but form another viewpoint.

Finally, I close with a look at a thread that is taking shape slowly... Farnan is to be credited with the creation of the Debate Forum. In this place teams have been formed, loosely based on 'liberal' and 'conservative' lines. The first (and so far only) debate revolves around the Iraq War. We've only been discussing the legality of the conflict though there are many other areas that need to be fleshed out. There are a range of issues that might be debated. Any comments that you wish to make can be placed in either the Liberal Debate Team Forum or the Conservative Team Forum.

Please check out these areas, they give plenty of food for thought.

In the Vestigia Vetustatis, our history forum, there have been interesting topics being discussed. In Phyrrus of Epirus, Why so Great? The forum members have been delighting us with information about Pyrrhus. MoROmeTe states that Pyrrhus was a great general and pointed out his tactical flexibility, which allowed Pyrrhus to win battles against different opponents.

Pyrrhus IV then came along to delight us with his brief but sweet biography of Pyrhhus. He pointed out many interesting facts about his life, including his campaign against Demetrius, his battles in Sicily, and his campaign in Southern Greece.

Legio XX Valeria Victrix made some interesting comments in the thread as he pointed out that Pyrrhus was a good general, but not a good politician as he constantly engaged himself in war.

Afterwards the thread turned into a discussion of whether Macedonians were Greeks or not, and whether Macedonians were taller then Greeks. The discussion was lead by Hellenic Hoplite, Conon394, Pyrrhus IV, SigniferOne and Unworthy Soldier -- with most people asking for proof from Hellenic Hoplite.

Regardless of the off-topic talk in Pyrrhus of Epirus, Why So Great? It is a still an interesting, educational, and fun thread to read, so I would recommend it to any TWCer.

Well my friends, that is the news this week! Remember, if you would like to help The Helios, then drop me a PM and ill point you in the right direction.

Oh, and for the record, King Kong won the movie of the month for last year!
    Last edited by Libertine; January 07, 2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

I really enjoyed this Article, Great Job Grimsta!

It was very proffesional, but easy to read.

Fabolous's Avatar Power breeds Arrogance

Keep up the nice work Grimsta my friend.
    tBP knows how to handle a sword. -Last Crusader

Under the Honorable Patronage of Belisarius
    Formerly Under the Patronage of Simetrical
    Proud Patron of Lusted, Rome AC, Solid, and Dirty Peasant

Just for the record, if anybody wants to help out, just PM Grimsta. Any help would be appreciated.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

TW Bigfoot

In this he has posted sources that indicate that the Coalition is monitoring mosques within Iraq
    Hmmm.

No i didnt.....

The source was from the BBC, and clearly stated the US.
    I never brought iraq up in that thread.

on another note this is a good idea, and a good read.
    i would recomend a few feautres on the Ethos.
    Many intresting threads/posts in there.
    Last edited by bigfootedfred; January 23, 2006 at 04:00 PM.