Thread: Can't start new game

cubics's Avatar Civis

Default Can't start new game

RTW with BI.

I click on new game -> main campaign -> choose a faction -> and when I click on the arrow to start the game it brings me to the new game menu.

Game worked fine before but I messed around with mods too much so I reinstalled and now it doesn't work anymore.. any ideas?

I'm not sure how you "uninstalled" before re-installing, but you should do it from the add/remove programs option in your control panel on the start menu. Do this, then right click on the hard drive where RTW was installed in "my computer", and hit properties, then tools tab, then "error checking". Hit "check now" then restart your comp to check it. (Hit the "automatically fix errors" checkbox, but leave the part about the "bad sectors" unchecked.)

After this is done, go to the tools tab again and do a defragment. There are better defragment programs out there than this one built-in with windows, such as Diskeeper Lite, but if you don't want to do its free trial than just use the one on the tools page.

After all this is done, try re-installing the game. I would do it in a new folder away from where you last installed. For example, I do a "custom install" where I put all my games in the C:/My Games/ folders, so i would make a new one called /My Games/RTW. That way any leftover files that uninstalling did not remove (like old savegames) won't have any interferance with this clean folder.

You can go back to the old Activision folder and rescue any old savegames there you want to keep, but if they are modded savegames, they would probably not work.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Use modswitcher for the use of any future mods. It is a great tool and EASY to use, just figure it out once and its like riding a bike, very usefull. You turn mods on and off with it, and if a mod has problems just turn it off and those problems are gone.
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=687

Its called JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler but people just call it modswitcher. This will prevent any future problems.

cubics's Avatar Civis

I did a clean reinstall, clicked on BI in add/remove and then it offered me to unistall RTW also. And what does error checking and defragmenting have to do with this?

Before I reinstalled I could load a save game so the game works. I just can't start a new game with any faction.

edit: just noticed something...files are missing! I have no idea how I didn't notice this before, I guess the install was not completed properly...hmmm...I'm going to try again.

cubics's Avatar Civis

Arghh!

Reinstalled again and still the same problem. Files are missing and no errors where given during install. Preferences.txt is the most noticable that is missing, at least he deleted the temp directory this time :laughing:

edit: can somebody copy&paste the preferences.txt file please?
    Last edited by cubics; January 07, 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Your "preferences file" is made when you make your "preferences" so it's really normal that it's not there, some other things are also missing because you haven't saved a game yet
    Does your custom battle work ?
    Well if you play a mod you get that problem to sometimes, i fix it be entering the "show_err" command in my shortcut load the game start campaign (wait till it doesn't work) shut the game down and an error appears
    OR i have to delete the map.rwm file in the campaign file

BUT since you're playing vanilla these things are impossible so email CA support !

And maybe install latest patch